Can I do a PhD in English without English BA?

Watch this thread
ninjacaty
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey, can I do a PhD in English if I haven´t studied English as a BA? I want to study politics and international relations bsc, do an english masters and later an english phd?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ninjacaty)
Hey, can I do a PhD in English if I haven´t studied English as a BA? I want to study politics and international relations bsc, do an english masters and later an english phd?
Your best best is to look at the entry requirements at universities you like the look of, and if it's not clear, contact them to enquire.
ninjacaty
Rep:
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Your best best is to look at the entry requirements at universities you like the look of, and if it's not clear, contact them to enquire.
Thanks. I looked and it always says ´English BA or undergraduate degree in related field´. I´m not sure whether politics can be considered as a related field
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks. I looked and it always says ´English BA or undergraduate degree in related field´. I´m not sure whether politics can be considered as a related field
You will have to work hard to show it is related. There are no hard and fast rules, but if you've got English at undergrad and masters, it stands to reason you might be tough competition at PhD level for someone who hasn't.

But this seems to be very pre-emptive. You need to get a very good grade in your IR degree to go on to any Masters, and you'd need to find funding, and you'll need to convince every application that you can use IR for English. That's the equivalent of asking a 14 year old to select 3 new languages for A level and get a scholarship before they've even taken any GCSEs - it might happen, but now is not a realistic position to think it will happen.
ninjacaty
Rep:
(Original post by threeportdrift)
You will have to work hard to show it is related. There are no hard and fast rules, but if you've got English at undergrad and masters, it stands to reason you might be tough competition at PhD level for someone who hasn't.

But this seems to be very pre-emptive. You need to get a very good grade in your IR degree to go on to any Masters, and you'd need to find funding, and you'll need to convince every application that you can use IR for English. That's the equivalent of asking a 14 year old to select 3 new languages for A level and get a scholarship before they've even taken any GCSEs - it might happen, but now is not a realistic position to think it will happen.
Thank you for your advice. Do you have any experience with this if I might ask? I´ve read that plenty of people graduated with a BA or Bsc in something totally unrelated like biology and moved on to a creative writing Ma or Phd.

I know that my true passion lies in English Literature, however, currently I´m holding an offer at the University of Manchester, which has always been my dream university (I did not have the grades for English, unfortunately) and have to decide whether I will keep the places or decline their offer and study English (which is what I really want) at the University of Nottingham, which is not as respected, and to be honest is not really a city I can imagine myself living in for 3 years.
threeportdrift
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for your advice. Do you have any experience with this if I might ask? I´ve read that plenty of people graduated with a BA or Bsc in something totally unrelated like biology and moved on to a creative writing Ma or Phd.

I know that my true passion lies in English Literature, however, currently I´m holding an offer at the University of Manchester, which has always been my dream university (I did not have the grades for English, unfortunately) and have to decide whether I will keep the places or decline their offer and study English (which is what I really want) at the University of Nottingham, which is not as respected, and to be honest is not really a city I can imagine myself living in for 3 years.
I'm just completing my fifth degree, one undergrad, three Masters, one PhD, all in different subjects, so yes, I've got a bit of experience in this.

Going on to do Creative writing is very different to going on to do straight English. Creative writing requires talent and practice, not academic learning, whereas an English Masters generally requires some sort of substantial comprehension, analysis, essay writing foundation.

There's not that much difference between Manchester and Nottingham. You can still pursue an interest in English literature in parallel to everything else, the university societies, the libraries etc are all open to you.
ninjacaty
Rep:
I'm just completing my fifth degree, one undergrad, three Masters, one PhD, all in different subjects, so yes, I've got a bit of experience in this.

Going on to do Creative writing is very different to going on to do straight English. Creative writing requires talent and practice, not academic learning, whereas an English Masters generally requires some sort of substantial comprehension, analysis, essay writing foundation.

There's not that much difference between Manchester and Nottingham. You can still pursue an interest in English literature in parallel to everything else, the university societies, the libraries etc are all open to you.
Thanks! Okay, these are a lot of degrees I really want to study at Manchester, but they´d only offer me politics. I think it´s a bit too risky to study that and hope I will be able to do a Masters in English...Honestly, I just want to study there and hope that someone from the English course will drop out or will want to change the course...But that´s very risky. But if I decline the place and go to Nottingham, Manchester will be gone FOREVER. This is my dream uni and I´ll probably never forgive myself.
I really don´t know what to do. I know it´s my decision, but do you maybe have some advice?
I want to go into PR/Marketing later on and work in different countries.
threeportdrift
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thanks! Okay, these are a lot of degrees I really want to study at Manchester, but they´d only offer me politics. I think it´s a bit too risky to study that and hope I will be able to do a Masters in English...Honestly, I just want to study there and hope that someone from the English course will drop out or will want to change the course...But that´s very risky. But if I decline the place and go to Nottingham, Manchester will be gone FOREVER. This is my dream uni and I´ll probably never forgive myself.
I really don´t know what to do. I know it´s my decision, but do you maybe have some advice?
I want to go into PR/Marketing later on and work in different countries.
Politics is fine for your career ambitions and won't leave you in a very different place than English, if anything possibly stronger. Keep enjoying the English as an interest, learn how to use language in an applied context in the Politics degree and then you can leverage both degree subject and evidence of interests (writing for uni newspapers, keeping a blog, member of the creative writing society for 3 years etc) for the job hunt.
ninjacaty
Rep:
Politics is fine for your career ambitions and won't leave you in a very different place than English, if anything possibly stronger. Keep enjoying the English as an interest, learn how to use language in an applied context in the Politics degree and then you can leverage both degree subject and evidence of interests (writing for uni newspapers, keeping a blog, member of the creative writing society for 3 years etc) for the job hunt.
Thank you, this has really helped me! Do you think I will have more career prospects with a politics/IR degree than with English? I´m from the EU, so as a non - native speaker I´ll probably have major difficulties finding a job in the UK with just an English degree
threeportdrift
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Thank you, this has really helped me! Do you think I will have more career prospects with a politics/IR degree than with English? I´m from the EU, so as a non - native speaker I´ll probably have major difficulties finding a job in the UK with just an English degree
You will have a much stronger combination with IR, plus fluent English and another EU language at native level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (146)
29.2%
It went fairly well (236)
47.2%
It didn't go too well (75)
15%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.6%

Watched Threads