tara_canning1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Applying to study veterinary medicine 2021 entry, what should students do about gaining relevant work experience if we can’t physically be in veterinary clinics due to coronavirus?
Thanks a million
karishma979
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi, Have you done any work experience in the last 18 months? Vet practice or not. I'm asking because some vet schools are requiring only 1 week of clinical or non-clinical work experience to be invited for an interview. Then you would complete the other 3 weeks of work experience before July 2021. It's best to ring up or email the admissions team for each of the vet schools as they would give you the most accurate answer.

Best of luck 🙂
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Vet clinics may be more willing to allow you in from September onwards.
At present most are only allowing vet students in as the RCVS sent a letter to all practices encouraging them to take clinical year EMS students as they need the experience. But once students go back to university (EMS placements are generally not allowed during term time) they may be more lenient. But equally they may not be willing to take in lots of students who are in their view less necessary.
FarmVet
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by tara_canning1)
Applying to study veterinary medicine 2021 entry, what should students do about gaining relevant work experience if we can’t physically be in veterinary clinics due to coronavirus?
Thanks a million
Hi there ,

There have already been some great answers given. Unfortunately, a lot of practices will be prioritizing veterinary students for placements as these placements are required to allow them to graduate. This means that work experience students are likely to struggle to gain practice placements. As others have suggested I would recommend reviewing current application requirements as due to coronavirus there has been some leniency with regard to work experience.

I would say relevant experience is also useful (not all of my work experience was at a veterinary practice), any placements with: animal shelters, stables, farriers, farm work, abattoir placements, research lab work, at a local zoo or wildlife rescue etc. will all provide useful transferable skills.

Finally, as a recently qualified vet, my work experience in practice was several years ago. However, in my opinion the most valuable asset work experience provides is the insight into the job. You want to make sure veterinary is 100+% what you want for your career. I would keep phoning/ emailing practices to try to book a placement as situations may change. In the meantime, if you know a vet or a practice well perhaps you could ask if one of the vets would mind speaking to you briefly over the phone. Just to tell you about what their general working week is like, the sort of work they do, what the hours are like, what are the more difficult sides of the job. Learning the positives and negatives of a role are important as veterinary can be a very tough career and you need to make sure that certain aspects such as long hours, sole charge and repeated emotionally charged situations would not put you off. As a new graduate vet I am starting work in under a month, and so might be able to give you a better insight into my working week then! But having completed rotations and 33+ weeks of clinical vet practice placements I would be happy to answer any general questions you have about the job, what a typical week might look like, some of the more strenuous components etc.? If you would like to discuss feel free to drop me a message

Sending best wishes for your placement hunt,

Farm Vet
JessicaApple
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by tara_canning1)
Thanks a million
Hi! I have the same concerns. I haven't been able to get any experience with farms/large animals due to the pandemic. I realise that all courses have released statements saying they understand the situation and will relax the minimum work experience requirements this year, but will applicants lacking certain work experience still be disadvantaged compared to those who have more?
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by JessicaApple)
Hi! I have the same concerns. I haven't been able to get any experience with farms/large animals due to the pandemic. I realise that all courses have released statements saying they understand the situation and will relax the minimum work experience requirements this year, but will applicants lacking certain work experience still be disadvantaged compared to those who have more?
Potentially yes, potentially no

My understanding is lots of universities are now saying they require X amount (e.g. 1 or 2 weeks) and any more than that will now not provide an advantage. But obviously in your interview an applicant who has gained more realistically will have a better advantage. I have seen universities say that they are expecting students to have researched the industries they have been unable to access experience within. So I would certainly do your research as if not you will be disadvantaged to those who have managed to gain experience within the areas you haven't.
JessicaApple
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by TheWannabeFarmer)
Potentially yes, potentially no

My understanding is lots of universities are now saying they require X amount (e.g. 1 or 2 weeks) and any more than that will now not provide an advantage. But obviously in your interview an applicant who has gained more realistically will have a better advantage. I have seen universities say that they are expecting students to have researched the industries they have been unable to access experience within. So I would certainly do your research as if not you will be disadvantaged to those who have managed to gain experience within the areas you haven't.
Thank you! I guess I’ve just got to hope for the best and do as much research as I can to make up for it! It’s really unfortunate though as I’m supposed to be volunteering at a stable for the summer, but they had to suspend everything

I know this is a long shot but I’m on the look out for farms/stables that are still taking on volunteers. Been emailing a lot but haven’t heard back from any and I can’t call as I’m not in the UK at the moment. Would be amazing if anyone knows of any either near Manchester or anywhere in the UK (if there’s reasonably priced accommodation nearby)! Thank you!
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It is not in the right area for you unfortunately but my daughter has been volunteering with a local charity helping abandoned fly grazing horses - she saw an appeal on facebook. Maybe a search of local charities might help - many have lost their volunteers as they are often retired and have been advised to shield.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (399)
56.28%
I don't have everything I need (310)
43.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed