Azimbrook1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
So I do a level maths, physics and biology. Mainly because I'm naturally good at the subjects and I like the fact that there is only one answer. My brains like binary, it's either true or false. For a while I've always been interested in the human psyche and the way we think and behave. However, I find it really difficult to write essays. Most often my brain works as if there's only one answer. If psychology exams were like biology, I would definitely choose it. Do you think I should study/become a psychologist despite my terrible essay skills?
Last edited by Azimbrook1; 2 months ago
Azimbrook1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I do a level biology, maths and physics. I currently find it very difficult to write essays, but I'm interested in the human psyche.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Psychology is a lot of essays. You have 3 science-based subjects which is good, but you have to decide whether it's something you want to do!
bubblecat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
yes you’ll be able to do psychology with those a levels, technically. but it will be very essay-based and i suggest looking at psychology courses in more detail to see if the topics interest you, as interest in the “human psyche” may not be enough to actually motivate you to get through a whole degree.
Last edited by bubblecat; 2 months ago
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Azimbrook1)
So I do a level maths, physics and biology. Mainly because I'm naturally good at the subjects and I like the fact that there is only one answer. My brains like binary, it's either true or false. For a while I've always been interested in the human psyche and the way we think and behave. However, I find it really difficult to write essays. Most often my brain works as if there's only one answer. If psychology exams were like biology, I would definitely choose it. Do you think I should study/become a psychologist despite my terrible essay skills?
Hey!

The great thing about a skill is that there will always be room to improve - no one is born with the ability to do everything perfectly! Try not to let your current essay skills stop you from doing what you enjoy. It might be worth speaking to a teacher to see what they suggest.

When I studied Psychology at A-Level I wasn't too great at the essay/long answer questions, so I got a tutor to help me. She helped me focus on structuring my essays so naturally writing them became easier, so there is definitely hope for you!

There are also loads of resources online too which can give you tips for essay writing.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Mia
lozzyhickers
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
To give you some reassurance too, psychology at university is quite different. Yes, there are still essays, but there are also a number of other forms of assessment, like lab reports, presentations, stats exams and multiple choice exams. You may find that the more individualised support will also improve your essay writing, it certainly did for me!

In some areas of psychology there is only one answer (that we know of), like statistics, neuro-biology, anatomy etc...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (55)
36.18%
No (80)
52.63%
I don't know (17)
11.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed