The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Where to visit in Sheffield

I am looking to apply to the university of Sheffield next year so I am visiting the city next week- where would students advise me to visit (especially for history and politics)
Original post by emily_D113
I am looking to apply to the university of Sheffield next year so I am visiting the city next week- where would students advise me to visit (especially for history and politics)

Are they doing open days?
Assuming the campus is open, then your department, students union, canteens. bar, library for your subject. i.e all the places you will use.
If you know accommodation you could get a taxi to see if you can look around Endcliffe, Ranmoor or Allen court.

As for the city then not sure what you want to see. If you go MTW then you can take advantage of eat out to help out.
If you have a car drive down Ecclesall road walk (where some students list has nice shops up past the Moor/ Fargate area plus west street where all the pubs, bars and some cheap restaurants are ofc it could be raining.

The major retail shopping place is out of town at meadowhall, but they all look the same.

I would focus on the bits of the uni, accommodation if you can and then get a feel for the city. West street and division street is where you will be doing a lot of your drinking.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186364-Activities-Sheffield_South_Yorkshire_England.html

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/eat-out-to-help-out/find-a-restaurant/results?lookup=S1+2HH
East one noddle bar in west one
Oi Soi gathering Dim sum https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186364-d9581751-Reviews-Oisoi-Sheffield_South_Yorkshire_England.html
Lots of small cheap restaurants if you plan ahead.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by emily_D113

Hi!

Current student here! 999 tiger has some great suggestions there on where to visit and would definitely agree. If you can visit the students union I would recommend to do so, Sheffield has the best students union in the UK its well worth visiting whilst there to see what its all about. I would also recommend having a look around some of the parks in Sheffield, it's a really green city and you really appreciate the outdoor space available when there, a few I would say to go to would be Western park ( easy to find basically opposite the Students union) , Botanical gardens ( near to the endcliffe accommodation) and Crookes valley park which is up the hill a bit but is a really popular student park and is quite near to the politics building if I remember right . I would also say worth having a wonder down west street its a main street used for bar crawls and also has some good food places down there too. As mentioned I would also say to see the student accommodation available to see what you prefer. I would also have a look at some of the libraries, I am not sure if you can go in but even just to have a look from the outside to get an idea , places like the Diamond and IC may be good to look at. Hope this gives you a few things to add to your list. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending