The Student Room Group

How do I know if I've picked the right subjects?

For my A-levels I've picked maths, further maths, chemistry and biology. However now I'm not so sure if they are the right subjects. I have no clue what I want to do so I can't really pick subjects to meet uni requirements.

What should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by _Mia101
For my A-levels I've picked maths, further maths, chemistry and biology. However now I'm not so sure if they are the right subjects. I have no clue what I want to do so I can't really pick subjects to meet uni requirements.

What should I do?

In your case try to keep your options open - those choices are pretty good. As you don't know which degree you want to pursue I would recommend looking at this website: https://www.informedchoices.ac.uk/

PS Ignore the fact it's aimed at Russel Group applicants - even if you don't want to apply to one of those unis it's still a pretty good resource. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by _Mia101

What should I do?

Wow thats a lot I mean you chose Good subjects I'm guessin your going into year 12 try looking at the content your going to get I do maths now and I can tell you that it's near to GCSE with 3 more chapters of extra content then year 2 it just gets harder

But look at what others option's are who have done it so you know what your getting your self into

Goodluck😊
Original post by Qu_axk
Wow thats a lot I mean you chose Good subjects I'm guessin your going into year 12 try looking at the content your going to get I do maths now and I can tell you that it's near to GCSE with 3 more chapters of extra content then year 2 it just gets harder

But look at what others option's are who have done it so you know what your getting your self into

Goodluck😊

Yeah, I'm going into year 12. If it gets too much I know I can drop to three, but the issue is I don't even know if they are the right subjects for me :sigh:.

What do you mean by: "But look at what others option's are who have done it so you know what your getting your self into" ?

Thank you!
Original post by nikhil_a
In your case try to keep your options open - those choices are pretty good. As you don't know which degree you want to pursue I would recommend looking at this website: https://www.informedchoices.ac.uk/

PS Ignore the fact it's aimed at Russel Group applicants - even if you don't want to apply to one of those unis it's still a pretty good resource. Good luck :smile:

Thank you!
I'm going to go through the site now. I know that the subjects I've picked keep my options "open", but how do I know if I'm going to like/ enjoy them?
Reply 5
Original post by _Mia101
Yeah, I'm going into year 12. If it gets too mch I know I can drop to three, but the issue is I don't even know if they are the right subjects for me :sigh:.

What do you mean by: "But look at what others option's are who have done it so you know what your getting your self into" ?

Thank you!

HONESTLY I know what you mean I'm studying 4 a level's as well and It can get overwhelming sometimes , unfortunately I can't help you much with the subjects but what I meant was look at some youtube videos talking about the overview of your subjects so you go into the subject sort of knowing what your going to learn .....?.....does that make sense, Hopefully.
Original post by Qu_axk
HONESTLY I know what you mean I'm studying 4 a level's as well and It can get overwhelming sometimes , unfortunately I can't help you much with the subjects but what I meant was look at some youtube videos talking about the overview of your subjects so you go into the subject sort of knowing what your going to learn .....?.....does that make sense, Hopefully.

Oh okay. Yeah it does. I think I'll do that, thanks.
What subjects are you doing?
Reply 7
Original post by _Mia101
Thank you!
I'm going to go through the site now. I know that the subjects I've picked keep my options "open", but how do I know if I'm going to like/ enjoy them?

Maybe going through the exam specs and textbooks if you have them would help you decide if these subjects interest you. That and talking to people who've done the subject (sorry I can't help you here I did none of your options).

Idk how your school works but I imagine most would let you change subject fairly easily at the beginning of y12 so if you immediately dislike a subject there's always that option.

Quick Reply

Latest