Am I too old to become a Radiographer?

Watch
username5349562
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi there,

I am 27 years old and I am planning to go back to uni in September 2021 to do Diagnostic Radiography. (I am currently a Buyer for an online retailer but looking to move into a career I am passionate about)

This year I am working on my access to HE (Science)

I am super excited about this career change but nervous about my age, I will be 31 by the time I graduate, is this too old for Radiography? Do I still have a chance of having a successful career in this field?

Thank you! X
Last edited by username5349562; 2 months ago
PrittyVacant
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by np1993)
Hi there,

I am 27 years old and I am planning to go back to uni in September 2021 to do Diagnostic Radiography. (I am currently a Buyer for an online retailer but looking to move into a career I am passionate about)

This year I am working on my access to HE (Science). I have already completed relevant work experience and volunteered in care homes.

I am super excited about this career change but nervous about my age, I will be 31 by the time I graduate, is this too old for Radiography? Do I still have a chance of having a successful career in this field?

Thank you! X
I hope not, as I didn’t graduate til 35! 🤣
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
there seems to be somewhat of a nationwide shortage for radiographers

this should work in your favour. I would expect you would find employment.
kkayvon
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Look, it is never too late for an education and never too late to make a change, so go get that radiography degree, I'm rooting for you💪🏻💪🏻
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you didn’t, access courses wouldn’t exist. You’ll be fine.
username5349562
Rep:
?
(Original post by PrittyVacant)
I hope not, as I didn’t graduate til 35! 🤣
Amazing! What did you study? Did you feel as if you were going into it having a much clearer idea of what you wanted from your career as a mature student?
username5349562
Rep:
?
(Original post by kkayvon)
Look, it is never too late for an education and never too late to make a change, so go get that radiography degree, I'm rooting for you💪🏻💪🏻
Thank you so much I’m going for it! 😊
Harriet_12_3
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Considering I'm a year older than you and starting my Access course next month with the intention of becoming a radiographer I hope not.

In all seriousness through I've worked in the NHS for almost 3 years, mostly as a Radiology Admin and I think as long as you're good at the job and pull your weight no one will care how old you are. If anything your age might be an advantage since choosing to go back to education shows commitment and a genuine interest whereas someone straight out of school might have picked it for less clear reasons or because they didn't know what else to do. (I have a degree in Hotel and Catering management because I thought t would be practical...I have no interest in working in hospitality).
donkeymcdonkface
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
We are desperate for Radiographers! I started uni at 35 years old, and became a sonographer straight away and absolutely love it. So many different modalities you can venture into, its a great job. And you certainly won't be the oldest by a long way!
Good luck and enjoy every minute of student life!
username5349562
Rep:
?
(Original post by donkeymcdonkface)
We are desperate for Radiographers! I started uni at 35 years old, and became a sonographer straight away and absolutely love it. So many different modalities you can venture into, its a great job. And you certainly won't be the oldest by a long way!
Good luck and enjoy every minute of student life!
Thank you so much I am so excited!! Sonography is what I want to go into long-term!

how have you found the potential for progression in terms of salary etc? And did you find that the degree course prepared you well for the reality of it all?
LoreleiT
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
27 is definitely not too old I started my undergraduate at 27 now 1 year into a masters in nursing course. I figure I’m going to be working for at least another 35ish years may as well do something you enjoy and are interested in
Mikey2020
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I hope not as I am 27 and start my foundation year for radiography in a few weeks!
If it is something you are passionate about then go for it!!

Good luck!
donkeymcdonkface
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you so much I am so excited!! Sonography is what I want to go into long-term!

how have you found the potential for progression in terms of salary etc? And did you find that the degree course prepared you well for the reality of it all?
Sonography is awesome and I think the best part of radiology :-). The degree course did prepare me well, I attended UWE where we did 14 week placement blocks so lots of practical. I trained with a 5 and 6 year old at home so it was hard work but very worth it. I love my job (mostly) and it has great scope into extended practice eg I am training in Head and Neck FNA's and also do MSK. Every day is a school day and every day I learn something! I was lucky in that I progressed to Band 7 a couple of years post qualifying, so a good salary.
Just learn your anatomy! I love anatomy but especially as a sonographer that is all you are looking at all day! Best of luck x
HellomynameisNev
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Absolutely not too old. I'm 47 and start my degree in Radiotherapy next month. Universities like mature students because they tend to do well and have a professional approach. The NHS likes them because they bring different life experiences. I've read that roughly 1 in 3 healthcare students is a mature student.

31 is nothing. If you think about it, you're only 1/4 the way through your working life at that point.

Go for it, and good luck!
ADee2020
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi there,

This year I am working on my access to HE (Science). I have already completed relevant work experience and volunteered in care homes.

Thank you! X
You are still so young! I am hoping to go back to Uni and I'm in my mid 30s! You will be working for a long time to come and you will have lots of opportunities in your chosen field. If anything being a bit older is a good thing! So don't worry you are making a great decision for your future 😊
Btw ..are you doing your access course online? If so would you reccomend your provider?
username5349562
Rep:
?
(Original post by ADee2020)
You are still so young! I am hoping to go back to Uni and I'm in my mid 30s! You will be working for a long time to come and you will have lots of opportunities in your chosen field. If anything being a bit older is a good thing! So don't worry you are making a great decision for your future 😊
Btw ..are you doing your access course online? If so would you reccomend your provider?
Thank you so much for the support! I do feel really excited to go into it 😊

Ah amazing! So I’m doing a distance access course yes as I didn’t want to commit to going into college on set days. I’m only a week in so it’s too early to say whether I’d recommend, however I will say that my experience so far has been really positive and my tutor has been extremely supportive in explaining everything and already set out a learning plan with me with deadlines etc The provider I went with is Distance Learning Centre as it seems very structured and I Definitely need that to stay motivated and on track! Good luck! 😊
ADee2020
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you so much for the support! I do feel really excited to go into it 😊

Ah amazing! So I’m doing a distance access course yes as I didn’t want to commit to going into college on set days. I’m only a week in so it’s too early to say whether I’d recommend, however I will say that my experience so far has been really positive and my tutor has been extremely supportive in explaining everything and already set out a learning plan with me with deadlines etc The provider I went with is Distance Learning Centre as it seems very structured and I Definitely need that to stay motivated and on track! Good luck! 😊
Thanks for that info. I'm trying to pick an online course atm,so I will deffo look into that provider.

The best piece of advice I can give you is ''Just Go for It !!!'' honestly look at how crazy the world has become this year, don't put off moving forward. If anything acquiring a rock solid qualification in health care is a v.sensible and smart thing to do. And the 3/4 years studying will fly by so quickly when you enjoy the topics 😀🏃🏼*♀️👍🏻📚
username5349562
Rep:
?
(Original post by ADee2020)
Thanks for that info. I'm trying to pick an online course atm,so I will deffo look into that provider.

The best piece of advice I can give you is ''Just Go for It !!!'' honestly look at how crazy the world has become this year, don't put off moving forward. If anything acquiring a rock solid qualification in health care is a v.sensible and smart thing to do. And the 3/4 years studying will fly by so quickly when you enjoy the topics 😀🏃🏼*♀️👍🏻📚
This year has been insane!! It's been the push I needed to go into healthcare and I can't wait! Thank you for the support, we've got this
Func
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by kkayvon)
Well said
Riaenf
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Go for it- I just completed my access course and will be starting my radiography degree next month. I’m 34 and mum of 4, even though I havnt even began uni, I Absolutely loved going back into education. I’m far more focused and determined.

Hope it goes well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (714)
33.85%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (903)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (399)
18.92%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.41%

Watched Threads