Emptybox
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
i have had my mind set on taking architecture at uni (i'm going into year 13 this september) but from quarantine and being at home i have become interested in software engineering. some had computer science degrees whilst some had no degrees so it led me to rethink my degree choice.
i don't know if this is a temporary feeling (i have had my heart on architecture for years) of me wanting to have a career in the tech industry.
so if i were to apply for computer science, i have no maths a level and i don't take computer science either. I do however take physics a level.
i am just a little confused and need some advice really, should i take architecture and do CS on the side or should i apply for CS (or do a foundation year for it)
Also, how hard is the maths in computer science (i got a 7 in gcse maths)?
thank you!
Frose03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I’m going into year 13 and I do maths and computer science. The exam board I do has the least amount of maths involved I think so we haven’t really done a lot of maths in CS.
As for what to apply for, I think you should take up architecture and do CS on the side. Or you could take CS as masters but not sure if you definitely needs maths for it. There’s a lot of free online courses for CS so I don’t think you should do your degree on that especially since you’ve always had your heart set on architecture
Emptybox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Frose03)
I’m going into year 13 and I do maths and computer science. The exam board I do has the least amount of maths involved I think so we haven’t really done a lot of maths in CS.
As for what to apply for, I think you should take up architecture and do CS on the side. Or you could take CS as masters but not sure if you definitely needs maths for it. There’s a lot of free online courses for CS so I don’t think you should do your degree on that especially since you’ve always had your heart set on architecture
thank you for replying! yes that's what i was thinking of doing but i wasn't sure. do you think i should apply for cs for one university just in case (part of the 5 options)? but then again my personal statement would be a issue as they are different degrees
Frose03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by milkcloud)
thank you for replying! yes that's what i was thinking of doing but i wasn't sure. do you think i should apply for cs for one university just in case (part of the 5 options)? but then again my personal statement would be a issue as they are different degrees
I think you should apply for the degree you are confident that you will get and you have the right a levels for it. Most CS courses would want A Level Maths so if you don’t do it then it could be a greater risk you are taking. Although, I am sure that there are unis that don’t require maths so you could be in for luck. But like you said the personal statement could be an issue. Like I mentioned you could look at doing CS as masters or on the side. You have to think which one you enjoy more to study and work in the future because some people have a career change even in their 30’s and 40’s
Emptybox
Rep:
?
(Original post by Frose03)
I think you should apply for the degree you are confident that you will get and you have the right a levels for it. Most CS courses would want A Level Maths so if you don’t do it then it could be a greater risk you are taking. Although, I am sure that there are unis that don’t require maths so you could be in for luck. But like you said the personal statement could be an issue. Like I mentioned you could look at doing CS as masters or on the side. You have to think which one you enjoy more to study and work in the future because some people have a career change even in their 30’s and 40’s
that is true, i think i will most likely apply for architecture. University of kent requires no maths and a gcse grade of 4 so i thought i should apply there but then again the personal statement would mess it up. thank you for helping me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (81)
26.91%
No - I have already returned home (38)
12.62%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.3%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.23%

Watched Threads