The Student Room Group

First skeleton argument

Hello, I'm looking if anyone could please give me suggestions on cases and laws I could use against my skeleton argument. I am playing the Junior counsel for the appellant and all I can see is it was an invitation to treat so I'm not sure how to battle this.
Thank you

German Motors are a car manufacturer based in Germany. They have been manufacturing luxury cars since 2001.

Hannah bought a German Motors’ dealership in Preston in early 2019. To market her business to new and established customers, Hannah placed an advertisement in the regional newspaper on Monday 4th February 2019. The advertisement stated that for a limited period Hannah would sell the Mercedes-Benz A Class AMG Saloon ( A35 4Matic 5dr Auto) for £100,000 instead of the usual price of £125,000. She also stated that there were only 7 AMG models available at this special promotional price. The AMG could be ordered in person at the motor showroom or by e-mail.

Andrew read Hannah’s advertisement at 4.55pm on Monday 4th February and, immediately, sent an e-mail ordering an AMG. The e-mail was received on Hannah’s computer at 5.03pm. Later that evening Hannah realised her offer was far too generous. She feared that most people would order by email rather than visiting her newly refurbished showroom, where she had hoped that they would be impressed by other cars from the luxury range.

Hannah phoned the regional newspaper asking for a notice to be placed in the next day’s edition stating that her special promotional deal was no longer available. Andrew received the Saturday edition of the newspaper, containing Hannah’s notice, at 12.30pm on the 5th February.

Hannah opened her shop at 9.30am on 5th February but did not read Andrew’s e-mail until 12.40pm. She refused to sell the AMG to Andrew because the special promotional price was no longer available. Andrew sued Hannah for breach of contract. At first instance the judge found in favour of Hannah on the following grounds:

1. There was no contract between Hannah and Andrew because Hannah’s newspaper advertisement was not an offer but an invitation to treat (Partridge v Crittenden [1968] 1 WLR 1204 applied); and

2. Even if the advertisement was an offer, it was withdrawn before acceptance (Payne v Cave (1789) 3 TR 148 and Brinkibon Ltd v Stahag Stahl GmbH [1983] 2 AC 34 applied).
What research have you undertaken already?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending