The Student Room Group

GANFYD's "Which medical schools accept retake A-Levels" list

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Hi, can I ask, I know that if you resit, medical schools usually expect you get a minimum of a B first try, but if you had a medical condition that could have been proven to affect your studying and schooling, would they drop that requirement? I'm not sure I have extenuating circumstances for the exams I'll sit next month ( I'm told e.c are more for being ill on the day of the exam itself, not long term ), but I've missed months of school in y12 and y13. I'm much better now after treatment however, so for next year I should be able to get As. Would that be allowed??

This would absolutely be ExCircs as far as the unis are concerned, just not part of special consideration according to exam board rules - it’s a crazy world!!

Contact anywhere you hold offers for, as previously discussed, and have all your evidence available, eg Drs letters, letters of support from teachers, etc.
If worst does come to worst, contact med schools you are interested in early for next year and ask how they would view your application, as many have ExCircs forms and procedures that have to be completed and are then considered by a committee, so you cannot wing it at the last minute.
I suspect you will be fine, so don’t worry too much!
Original post by GANFYD
This would absolutely be ExCircs as far as the unis are concerned, just not part of special consideration according to exam board rules - it’s a crazy world!!

Contact anywhere you hold offers for, as previously discussed, and have all your evidence available, eg Drs letters, letters of support from teachers, etc.
If worst does come to worst, contact med schools you are interested in early for next year and ask how they would view your application, as many have ExCircs forms and procedures that have to be completed and are then considered by a committee, so you cannot wing it at the last minute.
I suspect you will be fine, so don’t worry too much!

That's amazing, thanks so much. Should I call or email the unis? I have two years of treatment from my GP for the heart condition, CBT for the anxiety, and three years for the tinnitus and hearing issues that affected y12 massively until I got hearing aids, I also have an ambulance reference and my resus stay documented. Is that enough evidence? Would they be likely to drop grades, or to hold my offer until next year to allow me to resit? Thanks so much!
Reply 182
Start with a call and ask how they want you to go about things, as they all have different procedures. You will likely need letters documenting your conditions and their effects, eg from GP as well as other documentation, and sometimes a letter from school explaining how grades have been affected can be helpful. I doubt they will officially drop your offer, but may well allow some flexibility on results day, but who knows, they could do!
Original post by GANFYD
Start with a call and ask how they want you to go about things, as they all have different procedures. You will likely need letters documenting your conditions and their effects, eg from GP as well as other documentation, and sometimes a letter from school explaining how grades have been affected can be helpful. I doubt they will officially drop your offer, but may well allow some flexibility on results day, but who knows, they could do!

Thank you so much, I've been so scared about not making the grades, so this is so helpful, I'll call tomorrow
Rather then A level resits there is the option of getting a none medical degree (1st) then grad entry to a 4 year medical degree. OU is clearly one way to do this, but many hospitals are now offering "nurse apprenticeships" when you get paid while getting a nurcing degree over 3 or 4 years, the hospital also pays all the university fees.
I think it would be possible to start a "nurse apprenticeships" while also doing A level retakes.
Medical schools like people to have worked in health or socal care, the first 6 months of a "nurse apprenticeships" is working as a carestaff. Then it's one day a week day release for the next 2 years before increasing to more extensive block release.

(Nurces can now once qualitied to an additional course to be able to procribe drugs. )
Hey guys I’m kind of in a little panic so just need some clarity even though it says nothing on the website, I recently got an offer for QMUL A101, on the ucas offer the terms are that I just need “a dbs and security clearance check” because I’ve already got my degree. My only problem is I reset my alevels, so I did then over 3 years, it doesn’t say anything in the website and i have showed that I took them over 3 years in my UCAS application, so is there a chance they could chance their mind and rescind the offer? I can’t seem to find anything on the website to say I’m now allowed to apply to A101 with resat alevels (they also gave me an offer for a100 but apparently that’s not allowed cos they don’t accept resits, but is it cos I’ve already got a degree that they don’t care). Sorry If this has been answered in suddenly in panic mode haha
Original post by ringi
Medical schools like people to have worked in health or socal care, the first 6 months of a "nurse apprenticeships" is working as a carestaff. Then it's one day a week day release for the next 2 years before increasing to more extensive block release.

(Nurces can now once qualitied to an additional course to be able to procribe drugs. )

It would be much more beneficial to find a job in healthcare such as in a pharmacy or as a healthcare support worker. Doing a degree purely to gain healthcare experience is costly, stressful (exams and continuous assessments as part of the degree), and much more time consuming than finding a job and spending your spare time focussing on your medicine application and A level resits.
Reply 189
Original post by jokermuja
Hey guys I’m kind of in a little panic so just need some clarity even though it says nothing on the website, I recently got an offer for QMUL A101, on the ucas offer the terms are that I just need “a dbs and security clearance check” because I’ve already got my degree. My only problem is I reset my alevels, so I did then over 3 years, it doesn’t say anything in the website and i have showed that I took them over 3 years in my UCAS application, so is there a chance they could chance their mind and rescind the offer? I can’t seem to find anything on the website to say I’m now allowed to apply to A101 with resat alevels (they also gave me an offer for a100 but apparently that’s not allowed cos they don’t accept resits, but is it cos I’ve already got a degree that they don’t care). Sorry If this has been answered in suddenly in panic mode haha

Do you have a bioscience degree? If so, they are notinterestedin your A levels, so what you got and how will not matter. Well done on your offers :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
Do you have a bioscience degree? If so, they are notinterestedin your A levels, so what you got and how will not matter. Well done on your offers :smile:

Yeah it’s a biomed degree and thank you so so much the panic has finally set 😭😭
Original post by bunbunbun
It would be much more beneficial to find a job in healthcare such as in a pharmacy or as a healthcare support worker. Doing a degree purely to gain healthcare experience is costly, stressful (exams and continuous assessments as part of the degree), and much more time consuming than finding a job and spending your spare time focussing on your medicine application and A level resits.

"nurse apprenticeships" are a job as a healthcare support worker with one day a week "day release" after the 1st 6 months. They have no study costs and the same pay as any other healthcare support worker.

Doing a healthcare support worker type job in the year out has the advantage of getting the "care certificate" making it easy to get band 3 bank work while at medical school.

(A large factor is a person's "plan b" if they don't get into medical school after doing the A level retakes. As clearly its pointless starting a "nurse apprenticeships" if it is not the "plan B". It can also be started before A levels results are know hence giving the experience as a healthcare surport worker and the care certificate for bank work while at medical school even if the A levels are good enough in the 1st sitting.)
(edited 1 year ago)
everytime i see someone like this saying things about getting into med by doing another degree, i'm just constantly refreshing the page to see when ecolier claps back at them (no I'm not procrastinating at all...) fantastic entertainment each time especially when they fight back with "i did it or a friend did it so i must work"
so grateful for everyone on these forums who give us the correct information for free and give up their spare time to ensure we have the best shot at getting into med possible
Reply 193
Hi, I'm currently in Yr12 and want tp retake the year because of personal matters, but I also wish to apply to medicine and I'm aware of the difficulties in retaking and then applying to medicine. I do Chemistry, Biology and Psychology and just need some advice.
Original post by Pkyoa
Hi, I'm currently in Yr12 and want tp retake the year because of personal matters, but I also wish to apply to medicine and I'm aware of the difficulties in retaking and then applying to medicine. I do Chemistry, Biology and Psychology and just need some advice.

Hi there.

I think most med schools would be okay with you taking 3 years so long as you do all the exams in the same sitting - it still may be worth calling and double checking to see if this is the case. I think there are some that wouldn't allow an extra year unless there are extenuating circumstances such as illness etc. but @GANFYD would be in a better position to advise :smile:

Best wishes.
Reply 195
Original post by Pkyoa

Original post by TriplexA
Hi there.

I think most med schools would be okay with you taking 3 years so long as you do all the exams in the same sitting - it still may be worth calling and double checking to see if this is the case. I think there are some that wouldn't allow an extra year unless there are extenuating circumstances such as illness etc. but @GANFYD would be in a better position to advise :smile:

Best wishes.

There is a list of med schools that were OK with resilts (or taking more than 3 years to do A levels) before covid - it may be different next year
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6649138

However, if there are significant ExCircs around the resit, all med schools will consider those, but it can sometimes be a complex process to apply for it, involving prior agreement, with forms to fill in for the committees that meet, so depends on whether you think the personal reasons would be accepted by unis @Pkyoa?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 196
Original post by GANFYD
There is a list of med schools that were OK with resilts (or taking more than 3 years to do A levels) before covid - it may be different next year
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6649138

However, if there are significant ExCircs around the resit, all med schools will consider those, but it can sometimes be a complex process to apply for it, involving prior agreement, with forms to fill in for the committees that meet, so depends on whether you think the personal reasons would be accepted by unis @Pkyoa?

Basically, I moved schools halfway through year 12 and changed exam boards. I was off school for about a month? So personally I think I'm a little behind with information and all. Would that be an okay excuse? Well not excuse but yeah.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 197
Original post by Pkyoa
Basically, I moved schools halfway through year 12 and changed exam boards. I was off school for about a month? So personally I think I'm a little behind with information and all. Would that be an okay excuse? Well not excuse but yeah.

That is certainly an extenuating circumstance.
If there are any med schools you are particularly interested in, that do not accept resits, then you need to check websites carefully and/or contact the Admissions teams to ask how you apply for ExCircs, as it generally needs to be agreed before you apply. Some places will not say if they will accept it until after they see a full application, so you would have to decide if the risk was worth it - I personally would avoid!
Reply 198
Original post by GANFYD
That is certainly an extenuating circumstance.
If there are any med schools you are particularly interested in, that do not accept resits, then you need to check websites carefully and/or contact the Admissions teams to ask how you apply for ExCircs, as it generally needs to be agreed before you apply. Some places will not say if they will accept it until after they see a full application, so you would have to decide if the risk was worth it - I personally would avoid!

Thank you. I'll contact the universities.
Background:
Homeschooled since 11, and as a result I'm a year late in education (19 already). Also doing pretty **** on A level exams so I'll be getting some tutors and retaking next year. I know I can do much much better, especially if I have a little guidance. Not having a single teacher for your entire secondary education apparently isn't the way to go (duh)

My a levels: maths, geo, chem.
Considering taking further maths as well next year since I'll be retaking everything anyway. I like maths.

Honestly, wanted to do medicine, even got some online work experience (during covid so online). But since I've done so badly now, and considering how competitive med is, I thought I should explore other options.

My two main questions are:

Any chance any med school would accept me? (Assuming I can get predicted grades from tutors and that those predicted grades are good enough). I know they aren't crazy about retakes, but I figured if I ask here, someone will have a bit more insight.

If not, what else do you think I should consider? Also, outside of med, are retakes okay? How does the application process work, since I assume you'll have to tell them your previous grades.

Just looking for input outside of my family to be honest. I love my friends but they aren't much help in this department, especially since none of them are doing sciences.

p.s. idk if this is in the right forum

Thanks for any help! I don't really have any career counselors or anything that can help with this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending