Watch
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
:rofl: I am not!
I know, but was hoping you might have one hiding up your TSR sleeve? (or at least know who to call upon?!)
macbook4
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GANFYD)
Will Nottingham let him do his exams in the Summer, or is it October or nothing?
They ususally accept resits and I cannot see that anywhere can enforce first sit minimums when people have not sat the exams at all.

Clarify with them if they will accept both sittings, or even just the Summer one.
If it is only October, he still has nothing to lose by doing both, as if he does not get the grades in Oct, he can have another go in Summer.
My understanding of how UCAS is going to work is that, just for this year, you can have 2 applications on the go at the same time (although not certain they have confirmed exactly how this will work) and you have to choose between the 2 by January.
So he could hold his Nottingham place, dependent on Oct exams but put in another application for 4 different med schools based on Summer exams, if he needs to sit them. Having said that, if he did, he would have to do the UCAT before October and that is going to be a push now.
Alternatively, he can hold his Nottingham place but if misses Oct grades and they will not allow Summer resits, he can reapply next yer with achieved grades in hand

ecolier is there a UCAS expert around you can call upin to advise how this is all going to work, please?
This is interesting as when I rang UCAS they said that my son could put his insurance and firm schools and add up to two more medical schools on the same application. I am just not sure how it works with new UCAT/BMAT. I will try and get something in writing tomorrow.
Anonymous17!
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So none of the medical schools have changed their stance on the autumn exams? I emailed them myself and they replied but this was before the government u-turn. Some of them replied after the u-turn so I know 2 that will still take the autumn exams as first attempts and will accept a combo of grades from summer and autumn, but idk about the others. Today is the final day to enter for the exams as well. Is the information on their website or should I go based on what they told me?
macbook4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous17!)
So none of the medical schools have changed their stance on the autumn exams? I emailed them myself and they replied but this was before the government u-turn. Some of them replied after the u-turn so I know 2 that will still take the autumn exams as first attempts and will accept a combo of grades from summer and autumn, but idk about the others. Today is the final day to enter for the exams as well. Is the information on their website or should I go based on what they told me?
I would think it makes more sense to enter the autumn exams as I believe you can then withdraw at anytime (you may have to pay a fee) but you won't be able to enter later if you decided you want to do the autumn exams
Anonymous17!
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by macbook4)
I would think it makes more sense to enter the autumn exams as I believe you can then withdraw at anytime (you may have to pay a fee) but you won't be able to enter later if you decided you want to do the autumn exams
I have already entered for two, I’m just worried if the schools have changed their stance and I have to take _all_ the exams because I’ve only entered for 2, not all 3
macbook4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous17!)
I have already entered for two, I’m just worried if the schools have changed their stance and I have to take _all_ the exams because I’ve only entered for 2, not all 3
That is a tough one and depends on what med schools you want to go to. Personally I doubt they would change from the information they have verbally given you, however you can't prove it unless it is in writing. Some schools are doing a combination, others are doing one sitting autumn or summer. Any way I think 4th is the last date to enter for exams apply so you could email them today and hope for a response by tomorrow.
Anonymous17!
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by macbook4)
That is a tough one and depends on what med schools you want to go to. Personally I doubt they would change from the information they have verbally given you, however you can't prove it unless it is in writing. Some schools are doing a combination, others are doing one sitting autumn or summer. Any way I think 4th is the last date to enter for exams apply so you could email them today and hope for a response by tomorrow.
I managed to call two today and get it confirmed, and I have it in writing from them as I was following up on an email and checking the info still stands. Idk about the others though. I really hope they don’t change what they’ve said as I know they won’t reply to any email in time and I can’t call them as they’re working from home and it’s email only. So all I can do is assume and hope that they information they’ve given me is correct and still stands
username3694892
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is lancaster the only BMAT university u can apply to if you plan to take the exams in the summer 2021. Have any other universities become more lenient/ change their policies such as Imperial/ leeds/ UCL?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Akanya31x)
Is lancaster the only BMAT university u can apply to if you plan to take the exams in the summer 2021. Have any other universities become more lenient/ change their policies such as Imperial/ leeds/ UCL?
All the up to date info I am aware of is in the first post. Please post if you hear anything new
SpaceTravel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All the up to date info I am aware of is in the first post. Please post if you hear anything new
Really useful info on the first page GANFYD thank you.

Only one request if you can add what grades the uni requires from the Resit candidates will also be useful alongside the info on what previous grades they need in first sit to be eligible ( this info you already given by you).
Aquisition491
Badges: 15
Report 1 year ago
Newcastle, (expect an A* in any resat subject)
Sheffield, (1 resit attempt only)
Bristol, (1 resit attempt per subject)
HYMS (BBB first sitting)
UEA, (ABB/AAC first sitting and an A* in one resit)
Keele (but only with achieved AAA grades, not pending),
Liverpool, (ABB first sitting)
Manchester, (BBB first sitting and A*AA needed 2nd time)
Leicester, (ABB first sitting)
Nottingham (and Lincoln), (ABB first sitting)
Plymouth, (ABB first sitting)
Exeter, (no restrictions)
Southampton, (1 resit attempt only)
ARU, (no restrictions)
Sunderland (AAB first sitting or resit all three)
Edge Hill, (no restrictions)
Kings (though they do say “applications from students that have achieved, or are predicted to achieve our typical entry requirements in the first sitting, may be more competitive overall than students who have not reached the grades required upon the first attempt”),
Queen’s University Belfast (Resit candidates are only considered if they previously held an offer from Queen’s at the first attempt and made it their conditional firm choice). Need A*AB/AAA at A-level or AAB at A-level plus A in a fourth AS-level at first attempt.

There is also BSMS (AAB first sitting) and Lancaster (ABB first sitting) if you do BMAT.

Edited for 2021 entry (I suspect the first of many):
Aston's new requirements for 2021 entry
"Applicants who have resat, or are resitting GCSEs, A Levels, or equivalent qualifications, with or without repeating an academic year, will be considered. The referee must provide a brief explanation of the reason (s) for the resit in the UCAS reference."

Birmingham we will consider a UCAS application without bias on the basis of future examination grades (achieved either in autumn 2020 or summer 2021; each subject must be examined in only one sitting). However, in order for us to consider your application, your current Centre-Assessed Grades must be provided and be no more than two grades below the offer that would apply to your application (i.e. ABB for standard offer; BBB for contextual; BBC for our Pathways to Birmingham applicants). The relevant offer grades must still be met. We will accept a combination of CAGs and examination grades when we evaluate the final profile and accept the higher of the two grades for each subject.

HYMS have clarified that if you are to resit your A levels you must resit all ones you are planning to resit either in Autumn or Summer, you cannot spread them out and sit some at either sitting.

Bristol and Sheffield have clarified they will accept a mix and match of exams sat at either sitting (but then both accept resits now and although Bristol say just one sitting, the Oct exams are clearly not being considered a resit)

Please read further down the thread for specific conditions relating to CAGs/resits for the 2020 cohort applying in 2021
Hello, from the universities which require ABB for the first sitting, does AAC compensate for the 2 B's or would I not be eligible? Thank you.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Azotic02)
Hello, from the universities which require ABB for the first sitting, does AAC compensate for the 2 B's or would I not be eligible? Thank you.
Med schools do not usually operate grade equivalenncies, so in a normal year, no, it would not, but I suspect the usual rules will go by the board with CAGs and first "sitting" grades will be ignored completely. I do know Birmingham have said otherwise and I hope med schools will soon make this clear on websites, but it might be worth emailing any you are interested in
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by SpaceTravel)
Really useful info on the first page GANFYD thank you.

Only one request if you can add what grades the uni requires from the Resit candidates will also be useful alongside the info on what previous grades they need in first sit to be eligible ( this info you already given by you).
Where they are different from the standard offer, they are in the post, I think
bhavyab02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Newcastle, (expect an A* in any resat subject)
Sheffield, (1 resit attempt only)
Bristol, (1 resit attempt per subject)
HYMS (BBB first sitting)
UEA, (ABB/AAC first sitting and an A* in one resit)
Keele (but only with achieved AAA grades, not pending),
Liverpool, (ABB first sitting)
Manchester, (BBB first sitting and A*AA needed 2nd time)
Leicester, (ABB first sitting)
Nottingham (and Lincoln), (ABB first sitting)
Plymouth, (ABB first sitting)
Exeter, (no restrictions)
Southampton, (1 resit attempt only)
ARU, (no restrictions)
Sunderland (AAB first sitting or resit all three)
Edge Hill, (no restrictions)
Kings (though they do say “applications from students that have achieved, or are predicted to achieve our typical entry requirements in the first sitting, may be more competitive overall than students who have not reached the grades required upon the first attempt”),
Queen’s University Belfast (Resit candidates are only considered if they previously held an offer from Queen’s at the first attempt and made it their conditional firm choice). Need A*AB/AAA at A-level or AAB at A-level plus A in a fourth AS-level at first attempt.

There is also BSMS (AAB first sitting) and Lancaster (ABB first sitting) if you do BMAT.

Edited for 2021 entry (I suspect the first of many):
Aston's new requirements for 2021 entry
"Applicants who have resat, or are resitting GCSEs, A Levels, or equivalent qualifications, with or without repeating an academic year, will be considered. The referee must provide a brief explanation of the reason (s) for the resit in the UCAS reference."

Birmingham we will consider a UCAS application without bias on the basis of future examination grades (achieved either in autumn 2020 or summer 2021; each subject must be examined in only one sitting). However, in order for us to consider your application, your current Centre-Assessed Grades must be provided and be no more than two grades below the offer that would apply to your application (i.e. ABB for standard offer; BBB for contextual; BBC for our Pathways to Birmingham applicants). The relevant offer grades must still be met. We will accept a combination of CAGs and examination grades when we evaluate the final profile and accept the higher of the two grades for each subject.

HYMS have clarified that if you are to resit your A levels you must resit all ones you are planning to resit either in Autumn or Summer, you cannot spread them out and sit some at either sitting.

Bristol and Sheffield have clarified they will accept a mix and match of exams sat at either sitting (but then both accept resits now and although Bristol say just one sitting, the Oct exams are clearly not being considered a resit)

Please read further down the thread for specific conditions relating to CAGs/resits for the 2020 cohort applying in 2021
Hi I have a question. My CAG is BCC but I'm confident I can get the 3 As in the summer exams. Can you let me know which ones I could apply to if I don't take the Autumn exams (so summer is my first sitting)
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by bhavyab02)
Hi I have a question. My CAG is BCC but I'm confident I can get the 3 As in the summer exams. Can you let me know which ones I could apply to if I don't take the Autumn exams (so summer is my first sitting)
I don't have this information, as med schools have only committed to Autumn exams definitely NOT being classed as a resit. As to whether summer exams are, policies vary and hence "first sit" requirements will vary accordingly, I would have thought.
Any information I have is posted on here
Whatisizekiah
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got AAC and when I was looking at unis the ones that for sure don’t care are Southampton. Exeter and Bristol. There’s a few more that don’t care but you’d have to get an A* and there’s a few more now that are putting their requirements aside for this year. It’s a bit outdated because I’m no longer reapply as my uni ended up taking me but hopefully that was some was useful idk.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
(Original post by Whatisizekiah)
I got AAC and when I was looking at unis the ones that for sure don’t care are Southampton. Exeter and Bristol. There’s a few more that don’t care but you’d have to get an A* and there’s a few more now that are putting their requirements aside for this year. It’s a bit outdated because I’m no longer reapply as my uni ended up taking me but hopefully that was some was useful idk.
In a typical year those not caring about previously acquired grades are:
Anglia Ruskin
Bristol 

Exeter 

Sheffield 

Southampton

Sunderland (but must resit all 3)
Kings
Edge Hill

But nothing about this year is typical and it may be that many of them waive first minimum requirements this year
Whatisizekiah
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh so there were more than expected. I could only remember the ones I would want to go to /around me because I’m from south England but it’s good there’s more
I think kings say people who haven’t resat are more competitive so even though I wanted to reapply there, I wasn’t planning to.
Aquisition491
Badges: 15
Report 1 year ago
In a typical year those not caring about previously acquired grades are:
Anglia Ruskin
Bristol 

Exeter 

Sheffield 

Southampton

Sunderland (but must resit all 3)
Kings
Edge Hill

But nothing about this year is typical and it may be that many of them waive first minimum requirements this year
Hello, do you think this will be the case for 2022 entry too?
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Hello, do you think this will be the case for 2022 entry too?
I think people are hoping things will be back to normal for 2022 entry!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (48)
13.41%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (93)
25.98%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.6%
I'm finding things difficult (124)
34.64%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (30)
8.38%

Watched Threads