The Student Room Group

GANFYD's "Which medical schools accept retake A-Levels" list

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by lapinacolada
Has anyone got into medicine from re-resitting?

I'm just wondering.

Yes i know many who have offers after resitting
Original post by Abz231
Yes i know many who have offers after resitting

No I don’t mean people who are resitting, I’m talking about the people who had to resist after they have already resat the exams. Essentially people who’ve had to do alevels more or equal to three times
No I don’t mean people who are resitting, I’m talking about the people who had to resist after they have already resat the exams. Essentially people who’ve had to do alevels more or equal to three times

So did you sit your a level exams three times? Exeter allows multiple a level resits but I don’t think there are other med schools that allows multiple resits... @GANFYD do you know if there are any other med schools that accept multiple a level resits?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by visionaria
So did you sit your a level exams three times? Exeter allows multiple a level resits but I don’t think there are other med schools that allows multiple resits... @GANFYD do you know if there are any other med schools that accept multiple a level resits?

I have sat my A-levels twice, the second one being the recent Autumn exams. I have an offer from Soton for this September, and they offer multiple resits on a case by case basis which is what I am trying to go for. If Soton agrees to hold my offer for a couple more months, then I can resit in Summer and best-case scenario, start in September as was planned. Coronavirus has definitely changed the norm, so it could go either way. Soton doesn't need to know my results until sometime around February, so I'm doing my remarks and constructing my letter of extenuating circumstances. I know loads of people have been successful after resitting, but I don't know anyone who has gone down this route so I'm entering unknown territory with a lot of unknown possibilities (most people go abroad or quit by the point but I have too much to lose so I'm pushing on). It would be a bit more encouraging/hopeful if someone has had a similar experience with multiple resits, hence why I'm asking.
Reply 84
Original post by visionaria

I cannot think of any, off the top of my head, though that may be different if the Autumn resitting of CAGs is one of the 3 attempts, as that is possibly being seen as a "free" attempt by some unis. It would also depend on whether there are any ExCircs at all, so would suggest OP contacts those they are interested in to explain their specific situation
Reply 85

Ah, then Edge Hill dont have any restrictions on A-level resits and same with Bristol for this year.

However this can change next year so make sure to contact the admissions team before applying! E.g. Previously Southampton and ARU allowed 2 resit attempts but this year only allowed one.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by GANFYD
It would also depend on whether there are any ExCircs at all, so would suggest OP contacts those they are interested in to explain their specific situation

Yeah Sheffield allow 2 resits if there is ExCircs - but they dont tell you before you apply if your circumstances will be accepted as extenuating, so bit of a gamble!
hi im in year 13 (or at least i should be) im a private candidate that was aiming to sit exams this summer

now exams are cancelled there isnt much i can do, i will still study but i doubt private candidates will be able to sit exams

is it possible for me in september 2021 to join a college as a year 13 student (i did year 12 but did pretty poor so got kicked out)

or will i have to resit the whole 2 years of a level, if so thats a bit ridiculous since school started less than 4 months ago and they already cancelled exams

i can sit exams next year but i bet they will cancel it again "due to coronavirus"

for medicine you can't really resit a levels much, if you do you are severely limited to how many unis you can apply to

this is why sitting exams in summer is crucial for me, if i dont then what can i even do?

please help me thanks
Original post by Uplearnisitworth
hi im in year 13 (or at least i should be) im a private candidate that was aiming to sit exams this summer

now exams are cancelled there isnt much i can do, i will still study but i doubt private candidates will be able to sit exams

is it possible for me in september 2021 to join a college as a year 13 student (i did year 12 but did pretty poor so got kicked out)

or will i have to resit the whole 2 years of a level, if so thats a bit ridiculous since school started less than 4 months ago and they already cancelled exams

i can sit exams next year but i bet they will cancel it again "due to coronavirus"

for medicine you can't really resit a levels much, if you do you are severely limited to how many unis you can apply to

this is why sitting exams in summer is crucial for me, if i dont then what can i even do?

please help me thanks

Check out this link which has a list of medical schools' policies regarding A level resits:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6649138
Original post by Jpw1097
Check out this link which has a list of medical schools' policies regarding A level resits:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6649138

thanks i have already seen that

but some unis for example sheffield have ",(1 resit attempt only)"

does this mean resiting only 1 year?

so since im a "year 13" student even tho im not im a private candidate i was in year 12 though

does this mean that my only option is to do year 13 and not resit year 12 ? - im wondering if any colleges will accept me ( i got pretty good GCSEs most 8s and 9s) but still they werent liking it
ok thanks so much

im in such a sticky spot
Reply 91
thanks i have already seen that

but some unis for example sheffield have ",(1 resit attempt only)"

does this mean resiting only 1 year?

so since im a "year 13" student even tho im not im a private candidate i was in year 12 though

does this mean that my only option is to do year 13 and not resit year 12 ? - im wondering if any colleges will accept me ( i got pretty good GCSEs most 8s and 9s) but still they werent liking it

This is going to be tough, and in a standard year, there are very few med schools that accept more than 3 years to do A levels. BUT, the current cancellation of exams means things may have to change. Every med school took the Oct sitting of A levels as a first sitting this year, and many would accept the (now cancelled) June sitting, too, so resit policies were effectively removed.
I doubt even the med schools have decided how this is going to work, as people have, in some cases, not been able to sit exams for 2 years, or at the very least missed vast swathes of schooling. So all you can do is keep an eye open for what is posted on websites when they decide on a 2022 entry resit policy, and most likely, email med schools to ask ow they will treat your application, given your individual circumstances.
Do they accept retakes, probably don’t
Original post by GANFYD
This is going to be tough, and in a standard year, there are very few med schools that accept more than 3 years to do A levels. BUT, the current cancellation of exams means things may have to change. Every med school took the Oct sitting of A levels as a first sitting this year, and many would accept the (now cancelled) June sitting, too, so resit policies were effectively removed.
I doubt even the med schools have decided how this is going to work, as people have, in some cases, not been able to sit exams for 2 years, or at the very least missed vast swathes of schooling. So all you can do is keep an eye open for what is posted on websites when they decide on a 2022 entry resit policy, and most likely, email med schools to ask ow they will treat your application, given your individual circumstances.

ok thanks a lot
what would you say is better resitting the whole a level again ie take 2 more years to do the same levels instead of finishing this year, or do exams privately with the chance that they get cancelled again for 2022.

im trying to do my a levels this year but honestly 2020 was the worst year of my life and 2021 isnt looking any better i will be ready for the exams by june but they are cancelled

i want to get into a top london uni and kings college accept resits, so i can look into that too,

also do you think colleges will accept students for year 12 right now? i would rather join a college this covid isnt going away and having regular teacher mocks and predicted grades are so valuable
Oh thanks!, I didn’t even notice that.
Also could you explain if you can what King’s mean by that, it was really vague so are they like you can have as many resit as you want but people who didn’t retake will be more competitive or is there like another underlying criteria I’m missing.
Reply 95
ok thanks a lot
what would you say is better resitting the whole a level again ie take 2 more years to do the same levels instead of finishing this year, or do exams privately with the chance that they get cancelled again for 2022.

im trying to do my a levels this year but honestly 2020 was the worst year of my life and 2021 isnt looking any better i will be ready for the exams by june but they are cancelled

i want to get into a top london uni and kings college accept resits, so i can look into that too,

also do you think colleges will accept students for year 12 right now? i would rather join a college this covid isnt going away and having regular teacher mocks and predicted grades are so valuable

What makes the London unis "top"?

I can't answer which is better for you, nor how any individual med school is going to treat private applicants this year.
If you have ExCircs for having to resit a year, then that is a different situation, as all med schools will consider these, and if accepted, would not class it as a resit. Most ask you to contact them with the details well in advance of applying so they can put to their committees.
Original post by GANFYD

I can't answer which is better for you, nor how any individual med school is going to treat private applicants this year.
If you have ExCircs for having to resit a year, then that is a different situation, as all med schools will consider these, and if accepted, would not class it as a resit. Most ask you to contact them with the details well in advance of applying so they can put to their committees.

the most prestigious unis bar oxbridge and maybe warrick are all in london

i also live in london so i could commute to uni instead
Reply 97
the most prestigious unis bar oxbridge and maybe warrick are all in london

i also live in london so i could commute to uni instead

Prestigious in what way, wrt medicine?
Warwick only offers GEM
Original post by GANFYD

ok but im not sure what to do

my exams are cancelled and im waiting for the government to tell us private candidates what to do

i wish i can join a school for year 13 (im currently in year 13 but private candidate) but if i can do year 13 at a school next year that would be great i dont mind going to a far ish uni, plus i can apply for kings which is in london

will schools accept me now for year 12? i will call on monday but it looks grim really grim
Original post by GANFYD
Prestigious in what way, wrt medicine?
Warwick only offers GEM

yep i know im just saying when you look at rankings for uni

oxbridge is at the top followed by imperial LSE warrick etc these are "target unis" although LSE doesnt do medicine

UCL is also a good uni and its in london

but the main thing is i live in london and would rather not live somewhere else, pay accomadation when i can live in one a world city and study at a london university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending