The Student Room Group

GANFYD's "Which medical schools accept retake A-Levels" list

Scroll to see replies

yep i know but would you rather study at oxbridge imperial or aston university?

im prepared to go to any uni at the same time i live in london so im better off going to a london university
Reply 101
Original post by Uplearnisitworth
yep i know im just saying when you look at rankings for uni

oxbridge is at the top followed by imperial LSE warrick etc these are "target unis" although LSE doesnt do medicine

UCL is also a good uni and its in london

but the main thing is i live in london and would rather not live somewhere else, pay accomadation when i can live in one a world city and study at a london university

Really? Which rankings?
For medicine, 6 of the top 8 unis are in Scotland?
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/medicine

Unless of course you look at these rankings, which are rather different. Suggesting they are not sure if they are ranking their ar$e or their elbow!
https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2019/jun/07/university-guide-2020-league-table-for-medicine

By all means choose your uni based on location/finances/accommodation, but do not kid yourself that London med schools are considered by anybody (except possibly themselves) to be "top"
Reply 102
yep i know but would you rather study at oxbridge imperial or aston university?

im prepared to go to any uni at the same time i live in london so im better off going to a london university

Personally? None of them
If I had to chose of those 4 only, probably Aston
The teaching style at Oxbridge would not suit me and nor would the location of Imperial.
Aston is the least bad of those options for me
Original post by GANFYD
Really? Which rankings?
For medicine, 6 of the top 8 unis are in Scotland?
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/medicine

Unless of course you look at these rankings, which are rather different. Suggesting they are not sure if they are ranking their ar$e or their elbow!
https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2019/jun/07/university-guide-2020-league-table-for-medicine

By all means choose your uni based on location/finances/accommodation, but do not kid yourself that London med schools are considered by anybody (except possibly themselves) to be "top"

ok assuming all medical schools are equal - then i'd want to go to one thats the closest to my house which are in london, i can avoid paying for accommodation too

thanks tho now i get it
Reply 104
ok assuming all medical schools are equal - then i'd want to go to one thats the closest to my house which are in london, i can avoid paying for accommodation too

thanks tho now i get it

As pointed out, this is a very valid reason for your choice
ok yep for me since london unis are near me thats the best option however kings college is the only london uni that accepts resits

im in year 13 (but as a private candidate) - will colleges let me do year 13 next year academic year ie september 2021 at their school?
i cant be bothered to go through this again (this who cancelling exams) and i dont want to be pushed under the rug

i will be calling all the colleges if i can get in right now i will

man i just want to be a doctor so bad
Original post by GANFYD
As pointed out, this is a very valid reason for your choice

yep makes sense

oxbridge is a lot more competitive too and all UK doctors get 2 years training so all are up to a similar standard anyways

Are there any medical schools that will still allow me to do medicine as an undergraduate even though I repeated Year 12 if so please list them
Ok, thanks
Hi, I'm planning on either doing the exam in the summer or getting some sort of CAG by the exam centre i'm working with (they've predicted me A*A*A*, my previous college gave me CCC)....But i'm quite worried now after reading this thread as it looks like there's not many unis that accept resists.

Are there any updates if unis are classing the summer exams as 'resits'? I was looking at applying to Cambridge (depending on how i do on the BMAT), Newcastle, UCL & maybe kings edmp.

I've spoken to Cambridge who said as long as i attain A*A*A i can apply during the next round of admissions....but having a look online some people say they accept resits others say they don't.
Original post by Ausha2002
Hi, I'm planning on either doing the exam in the summer or getting some sort of CAG by the exam centre i'm working with (they've predicted me A*A*A*, my previous college gave me CCC)....But i'm quite worried now after reading this thread as it looks like there's not many unis that accept resists.

Are there any updates if unis are classing the summer exams as 'resits'? I was looking at applying to Cambridge (depending on how i do on the BMAT), Newcastle, UCL & maybe kings edmp.

I've spoken to Cambridge who said as long as i attain A*A*A i can apply during the next round of admissions....but having a look online some people say they accept resits others say they don't.

Sorry to bug you but could you advise....i've done a bit more research and i won't apply to UCL but i'm thinking of applying to leeds instead through the WP route.

I just think it depends on the uni in terms of which class the 2021 exams for the 2020 cohort as resits or first takes, but now there's also the issue that exams definitely aren't going ahead but the exam centre i'm working with are great and really supportive.

In terms of GCSEs they weren't the best but i did get at least 6's in the relevant subjects but i'm also planning on resisting Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths GCSE along my A levels just to boost my application. Hopefully achieving 8/9s in them. (Although i presume i won't be sitting an actual exam...just a 'mini' exam)

I've also been in contact with my current uni who said it might be possible for me to leave first year having passed the relevant modules with a higher education certificate, i presume this would boost my application ? and i guess then at least i'll get something for the 9250 i've spent.
Reply 111
I wouldn't bet on it!
@Ausha2002 what is it you are wanting to know?
Original post by GANFYD
I wouldn't bet on it!
@Ausha2002 what is it you are wanting to know?

Tbh i'm not even sure anymore....it just depends on what the governments says for students sitting a levels privately.

But basically i'm just wondering which Universities would consider accepting resit applicants specifically those from 2020 sitting their exams this year. But tbh i think the best thing to do would be to just email them.

Which i have done...cambridge have said they'd consider my application as has newcastle.
Reply 113
Original post by Ausha2002
Tbh i'm not even sure anymore....it just depends on what the governments says for students sitting a levels privately.

But basically i'm just wondering which Universities would consider accepting resit applicants specifically those from 2020 sitting their exams this year. But tbh i think the best thing to do would be to just email them.

Which i have done...cambridge have said they'd consider my application as has newcastle.

The answer is that they will all consider an application and none would have considered the Autumn exams a resit. A few have said you must sit the exam at the earliest opportunity (so in Autumn) and anything after that was a resit, some have said it can be either Autumn or Summer and some have said you can do both. Any med school that is happy with resits will let you do both, but some will ask for a higher grade if you do sit both.
So you are right, there is no clear cut answer to your question, but it can sometimes be found on websites and otherwise it is contact them, like you say.
Good luck :smile:
I have an important question, is there no chance a medicine university in UK accepts an international student who did A levels in different sittings? I did my A level biology in 2019, got an A and now I’m doing my chemistry A level and Math A levels, I had to take a gap year for personal reasons, but anyways I do the CAIE board. As far as I know UK universities only accept A levels done in one sitting, otherwise no chance there will be acceptance. Thank you for any help.
Reply 115
Original post by GANFYD
Newcastle, (expect an A* in any resat subject)
Sheffield, (1 resit attempt only)
Bristol, (1 resit attempt per subject)
HYMS (BBB first sitting)
UEA, (ABB/AAC first sitting and an A* in one resit)
Keele (but only with achieved AAA grades, not pending),
Liverpool, (ABB first sitting)
Manchester, (BBB first sitting and A*AA needed 2nd time)
Leicester, (ABB first sitting)
Nottingham (and Lincoln), (ABB first sitting)
Plymouth, (ABB first sitting)
Exeter, (no restrictions)
Southampton, (1 resit attempt only)
ARU, (need AAB at first sitting)
Sunderland (AAB first sitting or resit all three)
Edge Hill, (no restrictions)
Kings (though they do say “applications from students that have achieved, or are predicted to achieve our typical entry requirements in the first sitting, may be more competitive overall than students who have not reached the grades required upon the first attempt”),
Queen’s University Belfast (Resit candidates are only considered if they previously held an offer from Queen’s at the first attempt and made it their conditional firm choice). Need A*AB/AAA at A-level or AAB at A-level plus A in a fourth AS-level at first attempt.

There is also BSMS (AAB first sitting) and Lancaster (ABB first sitting) if you do BMAT.

Edited for 2021 entry (I suspect the first of many):
Aston's new requirements for 2021 entry
"Applicants who have resat, or are resitting GCSEs, A Levels, or equivalent qualifications, with or without repeating an academic year, will be considered. The referee must provide a brief explanation of the reason (s) for the resit in the UCAS reference."

Birmingham we will consider a UCAS application without bias on the basis of future examination grades (achieved either in autumn 2020 or summer 2021; each subject must be examined in only one sitting). However, in order for us to consider your application, your current Centre-Assessed Grades must be provided and be no more than two grades below the offer that would apply to your application (i.e. ABB for standard offer; BBB for contextual; BBC for our Pathways to Birmingham applicants). The relevant offer grades must still be met. We will accept a combination of CAGs and examination grades when we evaluate the final profile and accept the higher of the two grades for each subject.

HYMS have clarified that if you are to resit your A levels you must resit all ones you are planning to resit either in Autumn or Summer, you cannot spread them out and sit some at either sitting.

Bristol and Sheffield have clarified they will accept a mix and match of exams sat at either sitting (but then both accept resits now and although Bristol say just one sitting, the Oct exams are clearly not being considered a resit)

Liverpool are saying that Autumn resits only will not be considered a resit (and presumably exempt from first sitting minimum grades). Their website says "Calculated grades (awarded in 2020) are considered to be equivalent to A-level grades and so we will consider your application based on the calculated grades declared. However applicants may choose to take A-levels. Both grades will stand and at Liverpool we would therefore use the best combined grades in decision making. Applicants from England, who choose to take A levels, will be expected to be taking their exams at the autumn sitting, should these be available.
However, please note that if you applied to us we may request clarification if you are sitting Alevel examinations this coming autumn, or in summer of 2021."

Please read further down the thread for specific conditions relating to CAGs/resits for the 2020 cohort applying in 2021

@GANFYD
My son is studying in EU International A levels - edexcel modular, but he will apply as British citizen with achieved a levels. all GCSEs A*.
ALEVELS
Chemistry A
Physics A or A*
Biology A
Maths A but if he retakes one module (P3) he can increase to A* as all his mocks and tests 100 up to now. He had high marks at AS ( he actually sat Jan module) but in A2 he got C 63/100 in one module P3 in Jan 21 ( he sat the exam). By resiting P3 and getting a grade from his school the A* is very possible. The final grade on his certificate will be A* completed in two years.
All above A levels to be completed summer 2021. He will apply for 2022.
Q1. is the above considered a resit?
Q2. would you suggest not to resit the one module? there is so much competition and we are afraid that unis actually take A* students.
Q3. Chemistry and Biology are also modular to be completed in one year but two modules actually sat this January. is that considered one sitting??
all info in yr post is about linear.
interested in: Liverpool, Nottingham, Bristol, Newcastle, Sheffield, Leicester
thanks
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 116
Original post by LidaH
@GANFYD
My son is studying in EU International A levels - edexcel modular, but he will apply as British citizen with achieved a levels. all GCSEs A*.
ALEVELS
Chemistry A
Physics A or A*
Biology A
Maths A but if he retakes one module (P3) he can increase to A* as all his mocks and tests 100 up to now. He had high marks at AS ( he actually sat Jan module) but in A2 he got C 63/100 in one module P3 in Jan 21 ( he sat the exam). By resiting P3 and getting a grade from his school the A* is very possible. The final grade on his certificate will be A* completed in two years.
All above A levels to be completed summer 2021. He will apply for 2022.
Q1. is the above considered a resit?
Q2. would you suggest not to resit the one module? there is so much competition and we are afraid that unis actually take A* students.
Q3. Chemistry and Biology are also modular to be completed in one year but two modules actually sat this January. is that considered one sitting??
all info in yr post is about linear.
interested in: Liverpool, Nottingham, Bristol, Newcastle, Sheffield, Leicester
thanks

As long as A levels are completed in 2 years, resitting modules is fine, but there is no absolute need for him to resit maths as all the unis you are looking at give no preference for higher A levels, as long as AAA ia achieved.
That said, if he thinks he can resit the module without comporomising his other results, then no real reason not to, as plans may change! However, if he thinks it may risk other results, then I would avoid the maths module as A*A*AB will not do if the B is in an essential subject
Thank you for creating this tread. It helped a lot to decide how to move forward with my application
Reply 118
If you get AAA this year and choose to resit the same subjects but end up doing worse, would you be allowed to use the grades from the first sitting for reapplying?
Hey everyone, I’m in a bit of a confusing situation.

So last year I was studying Geography, French and Maths. I realised I wanted to do medicine, my head of year advised me to repeat years 12 with new subjects and I did. I wanted to do Bio, Chem, and Psych. But I was told I had to continue with Maths. So now I’m on my second go of year 12 with Bio, Chem and Maths. I’m predicted 3 A *s, so that’s fine, I’m just wondering how this impacts applications.

I haven’t resat any exams, and two of my subjects are completely new, and I barely did half of the year 12 maths course, and I’ve also taken up an epq this year.

I did some of my own research before posting here, but it seems I’m in a slightly niche situation, especially taking the pandemic into account. University websites tend to explicitly state about RESITS or exams which I’ve not done. I emailed a few unis I’m interested in to get an idea and it just confused me more. UCL and Cambridge are the only ones who gave definitive answers. UCL said don’t apply we’ll turn you down straight away, Cam said “apply you will not be disadvantaged at all. Edinburgh and Glasgow both said basically "we may or may not consider you, enquire closer to the time" Bristol said "we will probably consider you but enquire closer to the time"

I suppose they’re busy with the current cohort but still. Based on what I’ve said are there any universities you think would deny me like UCL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending