The Student Room Group

GANFYD's "Which medical schools accept retake A-Levels" list

Scroll to see replies

It’s likely it won’t impact your application at all. Those things are more for retaking the same subject/exam multiple times rather than swapping subjects
I don't think this should be a problem, because you've repeated year 12 and not 13 where you have actual final exams. I was a medicine applicant myself this year and I noticed quite a number of unis offered a chance for students who had re-sat their A-Levels. Based on that, I don't see why they can't consider you because you're not technically a re-sit candidate.
Reply 122
Original post by WantBeAnonymous
It’s likely it won’t impact your application at all. Those things are more for retaking the same subject/exam multiple times rather than swapping subjects

Original post by hehe_x
I don't think this should be a problem, because you've repeated year 12 and not 13 where you have actual final exams. I was a medicine applicant myself this year and I noticed quite a number of unis offered a chance for students who had re-sat their A-Levels. Based on that, I don't see why they can't consider you because you're not technically a re-sit candidate.

As has pointed out, taking 3 years to do A levels is considered under the resit rules, and as OP has not restarted all 3 subjects, then it will be treated as such. If they had changed all 3 subjects, or managed AAA first time, but in the wrong subjects, it would be fine, but taking 3 years to do maths will be an issue for many med schools. It is unclear what allowances, if any, they will make for the pandemic.
Many med schools will indeed be fine with things how they are, but some will not, as they do not consider "resits". There is a considerable advantage to having 3 years to learn A level content, and hence some institutions do not accept this.
Original post by GANFYD
As @ecolier has pointed out, taking 3 years to do A levels is considered under the resit rules, and as OP has not restarted all 3 subjects, then it will be treated as such. If they had changed all 3 subjects, or managed AAA first time, but in the wrong subjects, it would be fine, but taking 3 years to do maths will be an issue for many med schools. It is unclear what allowances, if any, they will make for the pandemic.
Many med schools will indeed be fine with things how they are, but some will not, as they do not consider "resits". There is a considerable advantage to having 3 years to learn A level content, and hence some institutions do not accept this.

Yeah I thought this could be the case, wish I’d have known this when I repeated, I would’ve pressured my head of year to let me do psychology instead.

Anyways I’ve spent the last 2 hours emailing every medical school just to see where I’m at. Only Glasgow has replied so far and their specific reply was

"Thank you for your email and interest in the University of Glasgow Undergraduate medical school. As you have not had to resit any formal exams, and Biology and Chemistry are being completed in the usual timescale, this would have no negative impact on your application."

So it seems like there is hope and it will likely vary between medical school, but I’m sure I’ll end up with at least a good few to apply to even if there’s slightly more limited choice. Thank you
Reply 124
Original post by LividOwl9
Yeah I thought this could be the case, wish I’d have known this when I repeated, I would’ve pressured my head of year to let me do psychology instead.

Anyways I’ve spent the last 2 hours emailing every medical school just to see where I’m at. Only Glasgow has replied so far and their specific reply was

"Thank you for your email and interest in the University of Glasgow Undergraduate medical school. As you have not had to resit any formal exams, and Biology and Chemistry are being completed in the usual timescale, this would have no negative impact on your application."

So it seems like there is hope and it will likely vary between medical school, but I’m sure I’ll end up with at least a good few to apply to even if there’s slightly more limited choice. Thank you

Every med school has its own way of doing things, as you will find out with med school admissions!

EDIT: Do make sure it is clear when you apply that chem and bio have only been done over 2 years, or they may all assume you have taken 3 years across the board. Good luck :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 125
Original post by LividOwl9
Hey everyone, I’m in a bit of a confusing situation.

So last year I was studying Geography, French and Maths. I realised I wanted to do medicine, my head of year advised me to repeat years 12 with new subjects and I did. I wanted to do Bio, Chem, and Psych. But I was told I had to continue with Maths. So now I’m on my second go of year 12 with Bio, Chem and Maths. I’m predicted 3 A *s, so that’s fine, I’m just wondering how this impacts applications.

I haven’t resat any exams, and two of my subjects are completely new, and I barely did half of the year 12 maths course, and I’ve also taken up an epq this year.

I did some of my own research before posting here, but it seems I’m in a slightly niche situation, especially taking the pandemic into account. University websites tend to explicitly state about RESITS or exams which I’ve not done. I emailed a few unis I’m interested in to get an idea and it just confused me more. UCL and Cambridge are the only ones who gave definitive answers. UCL said don’t apply we’ll turn you down straight away, Cam said “apply you will not be disadvantaged at all. Edinburgh and Glasgow both said basically "we may or may not consider you, enquire closer to the time" Bristol said "we will probably consider you but enquire closer to the time"

I suppose they’re busy with the current cohort but still. Based on what I’ve said are there any universities you think would deny me like UCL.

If you havent received a first sitting grade for any of your subjects already then you should be fine. Normally they will want to know what your first sit and second sit grades are and then consider your application. I do realise that it can be confusing because they mention on their requirements that your A Levels should have been sat within 2 or 3 years. But I believe that you should be fine. Good luck with your med application!
Original post by GANFYD
Thanks for sharing

This is going to become so complicated, and I really CBA to get my head around it for just one year.....

Any more info anywhere, please add it on here and we at least know where to direct people!

I can add:
Hull York medical school have clarified that if you are to resit your A levels you must resit all ones you are planning to resit either in Autumn or Summer, you cannot spread them out and sit some at either sitting.
Bristol and Sheffield have clarified they will accept a mix and match of exams sat at either sitting (but then both accept resits now and although Bristol say just one sitting, the Oct exams are clearly not being considered a resit)

I got an offer for Bristol this year, but got a B in my CAG for chemistry, so missed out. I'm resitting in October, but Bristol said they would consider this a resit? I'll double check with them tomorrow.
Reply 127
Original post by PDQ2003
I got an offer for Bristol this year, but got a B in my CAG for chemistry, so missed out. I'm resitting in October, but Bristol said they would consider this a resit? I'll double check with them tomorrow.

Thank you. The original post was last year, so interesting to see how it differs this year. Might be helpful (to you and others) to know if they will allow both Oct and summer sittings, as they usually only allow 1 resit
Original post by GANFYD
Thank you. The original post was last year, so interesting to see how it differs this year. Might be helpful (to you and others) to know if they will allow both Oct and summer sittings, as they usually only allow 1 resit

They will only allow one, which in my case will be October. I figured that this will at least put me ahead of this year's cohort, as I'll have my grades by December. It's not an easy task though, as there is no support from school & I have to teach myself all the additional content that was missed off this year's reduced curriculum AND resit my UCAT. So frustrating as I got 2900 last year, so hope and pray I can match it this time. My other two offers allow resits too, and I'm waiting to hear back from Cardiff about whether they consider CAG awarded grades a first sitting...
Reply 129
Original post by PDQ2003
They will only allow one, which in my case will be October. I figured that this will at least put me ahead of this year's cohort, as I'll have my grades by December. It's not an easy task though, as there is no support from school & I have to teach myself all the additional content that was missed off this year's reduced curriculum AND resit my UCAT. So frustrating as I got 2900 last year, so hope and pray I can match it this time. My other two offers allow resits too, and I'm waiting to hear back from Cardiff about whether they consider CAG awarded grades a first sitting...

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by GANFYD
Good luck! :smile:

Thanks! So, I've called all my offers back and they've all pretty much confirmed that October is deemed a first sitting. Southampton haven't reviewed their policy since last year, but allowed Oct and Summer resits then and "so can't see why this would change this year". Bristol have slightly changed their stance. I can resit in Oct and the Summer, although it won't be looked upon as favourably. Plymouth were lovely, and said they almost consider October resitters "as more determined candidates" and appreciate the uphill struggle of additional content and UCAT in a shortened window. They also allow both Oct and Summer series and don't see them as a problem. Contrary to what I have read on some threads, the Unis still "only" expect AAA and don't up their entry requirement for resits. I'm waiting to hear back from Cardiff, as although they don't allow resits, they weren't sure if October counted.
Reply 131
Original post by PDQ2003
Thanks! So, I've called all my offers back and they've all pretty much confirmed that October is deemed a first sitting. Southampton haven't reviewed their policy since last year, but allowed Oct and Summer resits then and "so can't see why this would change this year". Bristol have slightly changed their stance. I can resit in Oct and the Summer, although it won't be looked upon as favourably. Plymouth were lovely, and said they almost consider October resitters "as more determined candidates" and appreciate the uphill struggle of additional content and UCAT in a shortened window. They also allow both Oct and Summer series and don't see them as a problem. Contrary to what I have read on some threads, the Unis still "only" expect AAA and don't up their entry requirement for resits. I'm waiting to hear back from Cardiff, as although they don't allow resits, they weren't sure if October counted.

Thanks for the info.
Many unis do not increase grade requirements for resits (and certainly shouldn't for Oct CAGs resits), others usually do and some have stated they will this year for summer exams
@GANFYD Big thanks for making this excellent thread!

I have been taking the time to check whether this information would still be accurate for 2022 entry, and for the most part, it is. However, Newcastle said the following: "Due to you receiving teacher assessed grades, we would consider exams you sit in the summer of 2022 to be first sit, any further sits of exams after that would be considered as re-sits. As the exams in summer 2022 would be first sits, the standard offer of AAA at A level would still apply."

Also, St. Andrews are considering Autumn 2021 or Summer 2022 to be first sits as well, this information is on their website: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/entry/exam-update/
and they also confirmed this to me by email.

Glasgow also consider Autumn 2021 and Summer 2022 not to be resits:

"Would I be considered a re-sit applicant despite not having taken the A-level exams in 2021?

No exams taken for the first time to contest TAGs are not considered a resit."

Note: I specified in my email to Glasgow that I'd be resitting in Summer 2022 and they said this was acceptable. I see no reason why October 2021 would not be treated the same.

I will continue to provide updates in the coming days if there are any more differences.

Update: ICL also accept 2021/22 retakes for those who were awarded CAGs. Info is on their website and I emailed them to confirm.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 133
Original post by Kirbloggs
@GANFYD Big thanks for making this excellent thread!

I have been taking the time to check whether this information would still be accurate for 2022 entry, and for the most part, it is. However, Newcastle said the following: "Due to you receiving teacher assessed grades, we would consider exams you sit in the summer of 2022 to be first sit, any further sits of exams after that would be considered as re-sits. As the exams in summer 2022 would be first sits, the standard offer of AAA at A level would still apply."

Also, St. Andrews are considering Autumn 2021 or Summer 2022 to be first sits as well, this information is on their website: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/entry/exam-update/
and they also confirmed this to me by email.

Glasgow also consider Autumn 2021 and Summer 2022 not to be resits:

"Would I be considered a re-sit applicant despite not having taken the A-level exams in 2021?

No exams taken for the first time to contest TAGs are not considered a resit."

Note: I specified in my email to Glasgow that I'd be resitting in Summer 2022 and they said this was acceptable. I see no reason why October 2021 would not be treated the same.

I will continue to provide updates in the coming days if there are any more differences.

Thank you for the updates, this is really helpful stuff, as each med school is doing their own thing with no rhyme or reason! 😂
@GANFYD
hi, I saw on this thread that HYMS won't accept my resits if they're spread out (Chemistry resit in autumn, Maths resit in summer) for 2021.
I tried checking on their website what the conditions are for 2022 entry but it's not clear on the website and they havent responded to my email either.
So if I'm doing my Chemistry resit in Autumn and my Maths resit in Summer will I be considered or not?
Thank you for helping!
Reply 135
Original post by ArtemisMoon101
@GANFYD
hi, I saw on this thread that HYMS won't accept my resits if they're spread out (Chemistry resit in autumn, Maths resit in summer) for 2021.
I tried checking on their website what the conditions are for 2022 entry but it's not clear on the website and they havent responded to my email either.
So if I'm doing my Chemistry resit in Autumn and my Maths resit in Summer will I be considered or not?
Thank you for helping!

I have no idea, I'm afrais. Try calling them to ask?
Original post by GANFYD
Newcastle, (expect an A* in any resat subject)
Sheffield, (1 resit attempt only)
Bristol, (1 resit attempt per subject)
HYMS (BBB first sitting)
UEA, (ABB/AAC first sitting and an A* in one resit)
Keele (but only with achieved AAA grades, not pending),
Liverpool, (ABB first sitting, need A*AA after resit)
Manchester, (ABB first sitting and A*A*A needed 2nd time)
Leicester, (ABB first sitting and require an A* in one resat subject. If <ABB at first sitting, will consider those with achieved A*AA)
Nottingham (and Lincoln), (ABB first sitting)
Plymouth, (ABB first sitting)
Exeter, (no restrictions)
Southampton, (1 resit attempt only)
ARU, (need AAB at first sitting)
Sunderland (AAB first sitting or resit all three; from 2022, only 1 subject resit allowed with AAB minimum first sit requirement)
Edge Hill, (no restrictions)
Kings (though they do say “applications from students that have achieved, or are predicted to achieve our typical entry requirements in the first sitting, may be more competitive overall than students who have not reached the grades required upon the first attempt”),
Queen’s University Belfast (Resit candidates are only considered if they previously held an offer from Queen’s at the first attempt and made it their conditional firm choice). Need A*AB/AAA at A-level or AAB at A-level plus A in a fourth AS-level at first attempt.

There is also BSMS (AAB first sitting) and Lancaster (ABB first sitting) if you do BMAT.

Edited for 2021 entry (I suspect the first of many):
Aston's new requirements for 2021 entry
"Applicants who have resat, or are resitting GCSEs, A Levels, or equivalent qualifications, with or without repeating an academic year, will be considered. The referee must provide a brief explanation of the reason (s) for the resit in the UCAS reference."

Birmingham we will consider a UCAS application without bias on the basis of future examination grades (achieved either in autumn 2020 or summer 2021; each subject must be examined in only one sitting). However, in order for us to consider your application, your current Centre-Assessed Grades must be provided and be no more than two grades below the offer that would apply to your application (i.e. ABB for standard offer; BBB for contextual; BBC for our Pathways to Birmingham applicants). The relevant offer grades must still be met. We will accept a combination of CAGs and examination grades when we evaluate the final profile and accept the higher of the two grades for each subject.

HYMS have clarified that if you are to resit your A levels you must resit all ones you are planning to resit either in Autumn or Summer, you cannot spread them out and sit some at either sitting.

Bristol and Sheffield have clarified they will accept a mix and match of exams sat at either sitting (but then both accept resits now and although Bristol say just one sitting, the Oct exams are clearly not being considered a resit)

Liverpool are saying that Autumn resits only will not be considered a resit (and presumably exempt from first sitting minimum grades). Their website says "Calculated grades (awarded in 2020) are considered to be equivalent to A-level grades and so we will consider your application based on the calculated grades declared. However applicants may choose to take A-levels. Both grades will stand and at Liverpool we would therefore use the best combined grades in decision making. Applicants from England, who choose to take A levels, will be expected to be taking their exams at the autumn sitting, should these be available.
However, please note that if you applied to us we may request clarification if you are sitting Alevel examinations this coming autumn, or in summer of 2021."

Please read further down the thread for specific conditions relating to CAGs/resits for the 2020 cohort applying in 202

Hi,
I want to apply to medicine in 2023 but did my gcse’s in 2020 and missed a year because i moved away from my sixth form but now i go to college and am doing A level maths, chemistry and biology my question is that will i be classed as a resit and if so what university can i go into with these GCSE’S:
Maths 6
English Language 5
Eng Lit 4
Science 7,6
i media L2D
Textiles 4
RS 4
French 3
Please let me know if universities would accept these grades and which ones do and i was looking at doing foundation year medicine would i meet the entry requirements and if so which ones please
I think i do meet the widening participation criteria as my parents never went to uni and i live in a place where not many people go to university and i have been in state school all my life but i need help on what Unis do the foundations years and if they accept a 5 in Gcse English
Ok thanks your a life saver but just one more question would i be classed as a retake for a levels as i haven’t sat my as exams last year and left before january 2021 and now i am enrolled in year 12 doing a levels
Reply 139
@GANFYD
I did autunm resits on 2 of my a levels phys and bio and got BB
I got A* in my TAG for maths.
If I retake biology next year 2023 will that count as my first retake

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending