The Student Room Group

Gap year as a re sit student

Hi,
I’m somebody who has recently just re sat their A- Levels, albeit not actually sitting an exam but nevertheless, now that I have my CAG, it is very likely that I will be offered a place for my firm choice studying medicine after missing out due to the moderation process but some students will be starting this year and some will have to start next year due to a lack of places. As that became an option for myself, I started thinking about taking the deferred entry regardless because I’ve had a lot of troubles in the past 3 years taking my A Levels mentally and I have never been able to actually stop and have a break. So I thought potentially having a gap year, starting next September and in the meantime I can get my licence, do some travelling amongst over things and then be able to start university with a clear mind. The downside of this of course would be that I would then be two years ‘behind’ people who I went to school with and of course it would mean I get to where I want to a year later.

Do you think this is a good idea or not, let me know.
Thank you
If I was now offered a place to start this year, would I be able to say I would wish to start next year or is it too late at that point because I applied for 2020 entry?
I will do thank you
Reply 4
Original post by johnjohnson2000
Hi,
I’m somebody who has recently just re sat their A- Levels, albeit not actually sitting an exam but nevertheless, now that I have my CAG, it is very likely that I will be offered a place for my firm choice studying medicine after missing out due to the moderation process but some students will be starting this year and some will have to start next year due to a lack of places. As that became an option for myself, I started thinking about taking the deferred entry regardless because I’ve had a lot of troubles in the past 3 years taking my A Levels mentally and I have never been able to actually stop and have a break. So I thought potentially having a gap year, starting next September and in the meantime I can get my licence, do some travelling amongst over things and then be able to start university with a clear mind. The downside of this of course would be that I would then be two years ‘behind’ people who I went to school with and of course it would mean I get to where I want to a year later.

Do you think this is a good idea or not, let me know.

Honestly, once you get to university no one really cares what age you are. Especially doing medicine which is such a long, hard degree, if taking another year out to get in the right headspace will help you to study better and be more motivated - definitely do it!! I took a gap year before going to medical school and honestly it was one of the best decisions of my life. Sometimes you need a break from life and that's more than okay. Also, so many people do biomedical science first and then switch to medicine, they'll all be older too. So yeah, do what's best for you and well done for getting in :smile:
https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-statement/Commons/2020-06-23/HCWS310/

Does this apply to UK residents who are taking a gap year and applying for entry in 2021?
Original post by CurryVader
https://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-statement/Commons/2020-06-23/HCWS310/

Does this apply to UK residents who are taking a gap year and applying for entry in 2021?

That is actually really interesting and I’ve never heard anything about this up until your reply. What’s your interpretation of it? Have you found any more information since? I think that personally we would not be affected because even if this is true, many students would only be placed in this position as a result of the failures of the algorithm to award fair grades. Therefore, just like other restrictions such as the cap on the amount of students being lifted, this would be removed for the following year in recognition of that.
Original post by Joy30
Honestly, once you get to university no one really cares what age you are. Especially doing medicine which is such a long, hard degree, if taking another year out to get in the right headspace will help you to study better and be more motivated - definitely do it!! I took a gap year before going to medical school and honestly it was one of the best decisions of my life. Sometimes you need a break from life and that's more than okay. Also, so many people do biomedical science first and then switch to medicine, they'll all be older too. So yeah, do what's best for you and well done for getting in :smile:

Thank you for your reply and I’m glad to hear that you’re someone who has taken a gap year and not regretted it. My fear was being potentially the same age as some people coming from another degree and I’d feel inferior. I know I’m not the only person to ever say this but I feel like even more so this year if I were to start I would have serious imposter syndrome because although I know I was working towards the grades I achieved, I’m the type of person who needs to see the fruits of my labour to give myself that confidence boost to move on but I was unable to get that this year. In addition to that, since we finished school in March that is a much greater gap in studying than previous years and that worries me also. Do you think I genuinely am overthinking it or do you think it’s deserving of the stress?
Reply 8
Original post by johnjohnson2000
Thank you for your reply and I’m glad to hear that you’re someone who has taken a gap year and not regretted it. My fear was being potentially the same age as some people coming from another degree and I’d feel inferior. I know I’m not the only person to ever say this but I feel like even more so this year if I were to start I would have serious imposter syndrome because although I know I was working towards the grades I achieved, I’m the type of person who needs to see the fruits of my labour to give myself that confidence boost to move on but I was unable to get that this year. In addition to that, since we finished school in March that is a much greater gap in studying than previous years and that worries me also. Do you think I genuinely am overthinking it or do you think it’s deserving of the stress?

I don't think you're overthinking it, you just want to feel prepared. The good thing is a lot of people will be in the same position as you and will be facing the same imposter syndrome situation. At the end of the day, you know what you're capable of achieving and they'll be plenty of opportunities in medical school to do well and get that confidence boost.

Quick Reply