Landlords continue to profit from Covid

Watch
thederms
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Are people actually content signing these 9-12 month contract to these Landlords, signing away thousands of pounds to Live in a house where you are doing the majority of your course online?
How much money did landlords make this year when students were forced to go home and continue to pay rent to landlords while there property's remain unoccupied?
How do we know there wont be another lockdown again at some point creating a repeat?
It really doesn't sit right with me that these already wealthy people are protected at the financial cost of one of the poor type of people, students.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What makes you think most landlords are "wealthy"? Most of them a simple retirees trying to fund their retirement. What on earth makes you think they should pay for you to live somewhere for free...?
thederms
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
What makes you think most landlords are "wealthy"? Most of them a simple retirees trying to fund their retirement. What on earth makes you think they should pay for you to live somewhere for free...?
ahahaha 'most are simple retirees' It may be the case for the general population but I'm talking strictly student accommodation. From my experience and others most actually own portfolios across multiple property's and are taking in thousands each month as a business, which stresses more than just 'funding their retirement', and alot continue to rip off students at every opportunity they can get.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Napp)
Prsom, my parent is a landlord of my nans ex council house and definitely isnt wealthy.
Cant speak for all places but my uni accommodation were very good about the lockdown and offered people discounts who had to leave early.
Landlords have their own costs to cover, they cant afford to let people live in their properties rent free indefinitely.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by thederms)
Are people actually content signing these 9-12 month contract to these Landlords, signing away thousands of pounds to Live in a house where you are doing the majority of your course online?
How much money did landlords make this year when students were forced to go home and continue to pay rent to landlords while there property's remain unoccupied?
How do we know there wont be another lockdown again at some point creating a repeat?
It really doesn't sit right with me that these already wealthy people are protected at the financial cost of one of the poor type of people, students.
Most unis have issued a statement saying there will be a mix of online and in person teaching. The amount of in person stuff may be reduced compared to previous years but you will still need to attend uni in some capacity and consequently need somewhere to stay.
Nobody should be forced into student accommodation, if you dont feel comfortable signing a contract then choose a university close to home and commute in. A lot of student accommodation has already made concessions for last years students who had to leave early, I'm not sure why they should be expected to lose out on even more money when we are in the middle of a recession.
I doubt accommodation that offered partial refunds during that period made any substantial profit. They still had to pay maintenance costs, furlough wages for staff not able to work, electricity etc etc
Landlords need money to live off as well, unless all student accommodation is to be sold for private ownership and then there not being any places to stay in at all.
Students have a guaranteed amount of finance coming in for the year, I would be more concerned about people who are on furlough and are expected to lose their jobs managing to pay the remaining amount of their rent.
If this is worrying you then talk to your student union, most of them have housing offices where you can chat about which place would suit you and the practicalities of renting etc.
Last edited by CoolCavy; 1 month ago
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ahahaha 'most are simple retirees' It may be the case for the general population but I'm talking strictly student accommodation. From my experience and others most actually own portfolios across multiple property's and are taking in thousands each month as a business, which stresses more than just 'funding their retirement', and alot continue to rip off students at every opportunity they can get.
Stop renting from them then.

You are incentivising them with your money.

Just as punters create prostitutes you're creating these landlords.
Last edited by Quady; 1 month ago
Krystal1000
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s a difficult one. This year many student accommodation landlords waived student’s rent and student housing landlords gave a discount. No one expected a pandemic so it was only right for accommodations especially those on campus to give a discount. From what i saw, accoms that didn’t give a refund were named & shamed. In terms of housing, if it was a house specifically rented to students it was honestly up to them if they wanted to give a discount they didn’t have an obligation to do so (although you’d think they would try and reach an agreement as their goal is to get students to rent and hence a good reputation). I do admit, it was unfair on those who had to pay whilst others didn’t especially for private accoms.

However, for next academic year students would have already known majority of the course would be online and hence it’s up to them to make a decision. If you wanted a flexible contract go to accomodations offering later check ins etc for covid or better cancellation policies rather than a private house. From what I see, many people are already going back to uni cities with their friends and study there.
Last edited by Krystal1000; 1 month ago
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
"Supermarkets continue to profit from Covid"

"Electricity companies continue to profit from Covid"
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by L i b)
Be interesting to see how much this hits them. Quite a huge cut to industrial energy use.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are funny 😂

You sign a contract for the service and it’s terms. Just because you don’t want it anymore for whatever reason doesn’t mean they should let you out of your signed COMMITMENT
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by L i b)
"Supermarkets continue to profit from Covid"

Doctors knowledge contributes to profit from Covid 😂
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lol how are we profiting from Covid-19? How?

Your main argument seems to be landlords of HMO's are getting the same rent they would have got anyway? So .... how are we profiting from it?

Mmm also do you know how many laws have changed in favour of the Tennant because of Covid-19?
monkeybest
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What about those tenants that have stopped paying rent knowing they cant be evicted and never will have to pay rent back in the future!
tommy988
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Were you actually 'forced to go home' and by who?? because I am a student and the university said we can go home if we want to but no one said we have to so I stayed in my university house and you have decided it isn't fair that you still have to pay for a property you agreed to rent because of a decision you made not the landlord.
thederms
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by tommy988)
Were you actually 'forced to go home' and by who?? because I am a student and the university said we can go home if we want to but no one said we have to so I stayed in my university house and you have decided it isn't fair that you still have to pay for a property you agreed to rent because of a decision you made not the landlord.
Why would you stay in your uni accommodation when you didn't know how long the lock down would last and if you would be allowed to travel home. At the time going home for everyone I knew was the logical step. Uni's have even refunded student accommodation for people on campus.
tommy988
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why would you stay in your uni accommodation when you didn't know how long the lock down would last and if you would be allowed to travel home. At the time going home for everyone I knew was the logical step. Uni's have even refunded student accommodation for people on campus.
Because I work better at university and my housemates were also staying so I decided to as well so was happy to stay those months before the year finished in my student house. It may have been the logical step for you but for others, the logical step was to stay at uni.
Yes uni's have refunded student halls but that was out of the kindness of their heart and because they make a lot of money anyway, so it wouldn't break them if they refused students, but landlords on the other hand have bills and mortgages to pay many of which would not be able to afford the loss of income from rent, that being said some landlords did cut rent for those who went home but I don't think this should be expected as you could have still lived in your accommodation, however it would be very nice if a landlord decided to offer this.

Also your original question was why should landlords profit, but if they all had to give money back then why should students profit from COVID, I know some students had a cut in income if they lost their job or something but unfortunately there is no way to make everyone happy out of this.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by monkeybest)
What about those tenants that have stopped paying rent knowing they cant be evicted and never will have to pay rent back in the future!
What about them?
iNeed2p
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Give them a break. Everyone needs to put food on the table. Plus when you sign a contract, it's legally binding so therefore you should abide by the law.
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
The rent should have been frozen just like peoples jobs.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by iNeed2p)
Give them a break. Everyone needs to put food on the table. Plus when you sign a contract, it's legally binding so therefore you should abide by the law.
Except when the government passes the Covid Act that basically allows them to change the law without due process at a moment's notice and in the case of banks, by law, force them to give mortgage holidays to those who request it.

They could easily force landlords to offer rent holidays with no notice if they choose. Regardless, the whole thing is a mess. They have frozen evictions but those eviction notices are stacked so high at present that it will take the country courts over a year to clear them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (75)
21.49%
No (274)
78.51%

Watched Threads