Landlords continue to profit from Covid

Watch
iNeed2p
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Except when the government passes the Covid Act that basically allows them to change the law without due process at a moment's notice and in the case of banks, by law, force them to give mortgage holidays to those who request it.

They could easily force landlords to offer rent holidays with no notice if they choose. Regardless, the whole thing is a mess. They have frozen evictions but those eviction notices are stacked so high at present that it will take the country courts over a year to clear them.
That's the governments plan as they want to slow down the whole things including the process of evictions. They're trying to make happy both parties but, they're extremely failing that.

Both parties (landlords and tenants) are suffering from these unprecedented crises now. Everything is messed-up now. To recover this from anytime soon would be a miracle and not realistic.
Last edited by iNeed2p; 4 weeks ago
Burton Bridge
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by TheStupidMoon)
The rent should have been frozen just like peoples jobs.
And landlords mortgages and Bill's? And income?
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Investments are a risk. Prices can go down as well as up. Alas we are so used to bricks and mortar being a sure bet that many are all in on property. Lessons will no doubt be learned in time.
TheStupidMoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Rations and bank freezes. Why should everyone else take a hit to their savings or jobs.
thederms
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by paul514)
You are funny 😂

You sign a contract for the service and it’s terms. Just because you don’t want it anymore for whatever reason doesn’t mean they should let you out of your signed COMMITMENT
Circumstances change, would I have agreed to the contract had I known there would be a global pandemic? There should be insurance offered to landlords or students for being left out of pocket in these situations.
thederms
Rep:
?
(Original post by iNeed2p)
Give them a break. Everyone needs to put food on the table. Plus when you sign a contract, it's legally binding so therefore you should abide by the law.
Still looking for the part of the contract that covers global pandemics mate
thederms
Rep:
?
Lol how are we profiting from Covid-19? How?

Your main argument seems to be landlords of HMO's are getting the same rent they would have got anyway? So .... how are we profiting from it?

Mmm also do you know how many laws have changed in favour of the Tennant because of Covid-19?
Profiting by having no-one living in there property's and taking rent. No one living means low costs and no wear and tear etc , not difficult to understand mr landlord
tommy988
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by thederms)
Still looking for the part of the contract that covers global pandemics mate
exactly there was no break clause the make the contract null and void if there was a global pandemic, but if you were concerned about this then you should have asked the letting agent to put this in your contract
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Profiting by having no-one living in there property's and taking rent. No one living means low costs and no wear and tear etc , not difficult to understand mr landlord
What costs, other than absolutely de minimis wear and tear savings, does a landlord save from a property being empty? Indeed, to leave a property empty for an extended period is a breach of most tenancy agreements and is more likely to lead to costs to the landlord, whether it be break-ins, squatters, progressive problems not being dealt with, pipes bursting, mould from a lack of proper heating and ventilation...
Last edited by L i b; 4 weeks ago
tommy988
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Circumstances change, would I have agreed to the contract had I known there would be a global pandemic? There should be insurance offered to landlords or students for being left out of pocket in these situations.
no one was stopping you from enquiring with an insurance broker who would have given you a quote for this
Last edited by tommy988; 4 weeks ago
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There is insurance for it....

When you sign up for anything you don’t 100% know what your situation will be in a year or a decade
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Investments are a risk. Prices can go down as well as up. Alas we are so used to bricks and mortar being a sure bet that many are all in on property. Lessons will no doubt be learned in time.
Aww so you are good with risks one way but not others then? You dont believe agreements should be frozen for landlords agaist the financial industry but think the very opposite for student tenants?
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Oooh you sound lovely!

Not having student in wrecking your property is hardly profiting from Covid-19 is it?
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by TheStupidMoon)
Rations and bank freezes. Why should everyone else take a hit to their savings or jobs.
You think all landlords are using their properties as their main income?
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Aww so you are good with risks one way but not others then? You dont believe agreements should be frozen for landlords agaist the financial industry but think the very opposite for student tenants?
To be fair I don't have a view one way or other. But landlords have had it really really good over the last 20 odd years. I don't have a huge amount of sympathy. All things told, they still have an asset.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
To be fair I don't have a view one way or other. But landlords have had it really really good over the last 20 odd years. I don't have a huge amount of sympathy. All things told, they still have an asset.
Well, I agree to a certain extent, I mean I jumped on the bandwagon however I don't think many would like to pay my mortgages particularly a few years ago.

Anyway the point is you cant hold views one way or the other but then Express them, and those views are inconsistent between demographics. I'm assuming you dont believe we should protect bankers over a working class bloke who has put his saving into a buy to let as a pension plan, as he tries to build a pension up for retirement?

Not all landlords are wealthy aristocrats.
Last edited by Burton Bridge; 2 weeks ago
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well, I agree to a certain extent, I mean I jumped on the bandwagon however I don't think many would like to pay my mortgages particularly a few years ago.

Anyway the point is you cant hold views one way or the other but then Express them, and those views are inconsistent between demographics. I'm assuming you dont believe we should protect bankers over a working class bloke who has put his saving into a buy to let as a pension plan, as he tries to build a pension up for retirement?

Not all landlords are wealthy aristocrats.
No idea. All I can say is its complicated.

Buy to let is an investment that has a risk. I would hope all those doing it considered the risk and sought advice just as I did with regard to sorting my pension investmentents.
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No idea. All I can say is its complicated.

Buy to let is an investment that has a risk. I would hope all those doing it considered the risk and sought advice just as I did with regard to sorting my pension investmentents.
My point being many peoples pension investments is property and risks are part of life. You simply cannot wish to protect one demographic and not another, particularly as you are not bases the need for protection on vulnerability or wealth.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My point being many peoples pension investments is property and risks are part of life. You simply cannot wish to protect one demographic and not another, particularly as you are not bases the need for protection on vulnerability or wealth.
Did I say that?
Burton Bridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Did I say that?
Indirectly yes, admitted based on assumptions you intervene in conversation when I challenged the statement TheStupidMoon said that rent should have been frozen just like peoples jobs a
I added and landlords mortgages and Bill's. Then I asked what about landlords income?

I'm assuming you care little about this because it's all in a landlords risk, but are all for freezing of rent?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (75)
21.49%
No (274)
78.51%

Watched Threads