srb_16
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi, It's been a few months since we chose our options at school (I'm going to year 10), and I chose History instead of Geography. I enjoy both subjects, however I've noticed that there is a lot more coursework in History than Geography. My school isn't allowing me to switch subjects at this point. Does anyone have any advice on how I should study to make the subject more manageable?
GillisRobbieWGS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by srb_16)
Hi, It's been a few months since we chose our options at school (I'm going to year 10), and I chose History instead of Geography. I enjoy both subjects, however I've noticed that there is a lot more coursework in History than Geography. My school isn't allowing me to switch subjects at this point. Does anyone have any advice on how I should study to make the subject more manageable?
Here's what I found doing GCSE Histiry (I'm now going into year 13 doing A Level history) Once you get your facts really nailed and learn that analysis in history means saying "This event lead to this happening in X country" then you'll be fine. I did Edexcel GCSE so we had to do Nazi Germany, Cold War, Elizabeth I and Crime and Punishment. If you can buy yourself the revision guide and make cards from that, brilliant. Youtube Videos like over simplified help you remember details and documentaries (particularly Lucy Worsley) are brilliant.

There is no course work on history unless you're doing iGCSE....
But since you say you have coursework I guess you are doing iGCSE. In that case, try and set aside 30 mins to an hour each night for a term cracking on with it.

Good luck
srb_16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by GillisRobbieWGS)
Here's what I found doing GCSE Histiry (I'm now going into year 13 doing A Level history) Once you get your facts really nailed and learn that analysis in history means saying "This event lead to this happening in X country" then you'll be fine. I did Edexcel GCSE so we had to do Nazi Germany, Cold War, Elizabeth I and Crime and Punishment. If you can buy yourself the revision guide and make cards from that, brilliant. Youtube Videos like over simplified help you remember details and documentaries (particularly Lucy Worsley) are brilliant.

There is no course work on history unless you're doing iGCSE....
But since you say you have coursework I guess you are doing iGCSE. In that case, try and set aside 30 mins to an hour each night for a term cracking on with it.

Good luck
Sorry, I meant content rather than coursework, but thanks a lot for the help!
Nate909
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hey I'm currently in year 11 and got predicted a 9. What worked for me personally was to simplify the notes into key facts and learn how to elaborate your points. Once you work out the formula for answering each question (there are set structures to each question) it becomes a lot easier to answer. The content can look like there's a lot but once broken down it's quite easy to stay on top.

Also, you'll find that there's a lot of patterns which help you to remember things. For example, in crime and punishment, the answer to why any type of punishment is used is pretty much always to deter future deviance. Pretty much every singly time 😂

And in regards to the history vs geography, I had the same problem in year 9 since I was a 4 in history and a 5 in Geo. Looking back I'm glad I didn't choose it because most of my friends who chose geography found it harder than history. You also have to remember diagrams and there's not as much debate and reasoning if you're into that. But then again it everyone is different.

Final bit of advice. I can only speak for edexcel history but buy the revision guides. They also do a compacted version in the form of flashcards and it makes life so much easier to just quickly go through a topic in a small amount of detail when you forget the key facts. 👍🏾

Spoiler:
Show

Cheesecake04
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I would actually recommend making revision cards as when you make them I find the information sinks in a bit more. You should also make sure you set aside quite a big chunk of your revision time every night for a topic and then keep revisiting it to help your long term memory.

Try and focus on a paper each week and then swap to prevent confusion of swapping each day. Finally, to make it more manageable I would suggest getting a lever arch folder with dividers so you can see each topic and practice papers. This makes it easier to be organised and see the work you have done - which you can then use for revision.
Last edited by Cheesecake04; 9 months ago
dontaskaboutmy
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi! I was going to take my Gcses this year but well they were cancelled, but I got an 8 in my mocks. I realised that to do well in History, you actually have to enjoy it. I recommend channels such as crash course on YouTube that will summarise topics in a couple minutes. I really reccomend getting those facts into your head, I made an A3 timeline with all the key dates i needed to know adding information, positives and negatives of the event, what it led to (e.g in the Cold War the Arms Race led to a lot of tension between the US and USSR). Also ask your teacher for help whenever you need it and I'm assuming that you will go through lessons on how to write exam questions (it will teach you the structure of how to write certain exam questions). Do a couple practice questions once you feel confident and let your teacher mark it. I hope this helped!
Last edited by dontaskaboutmy; 9 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (50)
30.3%
No (115)
69.7%

Watched Threads