The Student Room Group

Mature student (44) anxious about length of time to reach my goal

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 26maris
Hi. I too have just started a Learn Direct Access course and if all being well hope to start uni in September 2021. I have to do my maths GCSE too 🙈
I’m 42 now and I have a plan to have a degree before I hit 47... though studying after so many years of not is making me question I’m doing the right thing!

Hi, it's difficult not to question yourself when you hit the 40s. What Access course are you taking? There's so much encouragement on here for mature students I'd say go for it otherwise you could regret it especially if it's what you truly want to do!
Reply 21
Original post by Laura76
Hi, it's difficult not to question yourself when you hit the 40s. What Access course are you taking? There's so much encouragement on here for mature students I'd say go for it otherwise you could regret it especially if it's what you truly want to do!

Hiya. It’s in social work. I wish I could tell my younger self to out more effort into my GCSEs 🤦🏼*♀️
still plenty of time though to be qualified. I’m just waiting for my daughter to go back to school and they I can put my study plan in practice! Far too many distractions at the minute.
totally agree with the encouragement on here!!!
I wouldn't let age put you off at all, as many people beforehand have outlined you so many working years ahead of you. It's great to do something that you enjoy and are passionate about also. GL in going to uni and pursuing your goals.
I feel you, I'm doing my A levels at the moment hoping to start a medical degree in my late 20s and absolutely daunted (but who knows if that'll happen - it's competitive, but there's no harm in trying). What got me to go for it is someone telling me that time is gonna pass anyway. Like, I'm never going to be able to stop the passing of time. In five years I'll be five years older whether I'm getting a degree or not. May as well go for it. 🤷*♀️
Hi, dont panic. I'm 50 this year and want to do a psychology degree. I have o'levels but not maths, I have to get this (i am to do an exam this week to see if it a one or two year gcse maths course!!!). I have to get this before I do the 1 year access course. The way I think about it is, what else can I do. The job market is dire, and I would like a good wage after being an at home mum who occasionally temps in offices (which I hate). Take a big breath and do one step at a time and just try to enjoy it, it may not work but at least your trying.
Original post by One More atry
Hi, dont panic. I'm 50 this year and want to do a psychology degree. I have o'levels but not maths, I have to get this (i am to do an exam this week to see if it a one or two year gcse maths course!!!). I have to get this before I do the 1 year access course. The way I think about it is, what else can I do. The job market is dire, and I would like a good wage after being an at home mum who occasionally temps in offices (which I hate). Take a big breath and do one step at a time and just try to enjoy it, it may not work but at least your trying.

Good for you! 😊 I have just completed my degree and I am 50. In fact I am starting a second degree in healthcare. You have to retrain nowadays and up skill as they told me at university.
Reply 26
Hi all...I am 39 years old from HK currently and would like to study in Physiotherapy. I took A Level in HK and graduated in Physics very very long time ago (second lower). I was suggested to take an access course as my degree is not relevant. But as I am not in UK right now, so the online stonebridge one is recognized by the uni?

Do I need to retake Maths and English as well? Thanks alot for your help.
Reply 27
I am 48 and starting a psychology degree. I did my Access at home. Can you do a functional maths. It's easier and less time than gcse. I did both maths and English functional.
Reply 28
Original post by donz_8
I am 48 and starting a psychology degree. I did my Access at home. Can you do a functional maths. It's easier and less time than gcse. I did both maths and English functional.

I took applied mathematics and pure mathematics at A level. where can I take the course for functional maths? apology for so many questions as I dont know how it works in UK. And I just chatted with Stonebridge and they did not answer directly whether the online course is the access course for applying Uni.

Thanks alot!
Original post by JC_C
I took applied mathematics and pure mathematics at A level. where can I take the course for functional maths? apology for so many questions as I dont know how it works in UK. And I just chatted with Stonebridge and they did not answer directly whether the online course is the access course for applying Uni.

Thanks alot!

You won't need to take maths functional skills or GCSE as you already have a higher level qualification.
Iwelcome to the UK, hope it all works out. 'd suggest emailing the uni your thinking of applying to. They were helpful and advised me of what qualufications they would accept. I've lost my gcse maths certificate and have no idea what the exam board was and the college is now a housing estate, which is why I need to retake it. If you have evidence that you have your qualifications, that should be adequate. Good luck.
Reply 31
Original post by Plücker
You won't need to take maths functional skills or GCSE as you already have a higher level qualification.

Thanks so I will find some online access course to Health Professionals.
Reply 32
Original post by One More atry
Iwelcome to the UK, hope it all works out. 'd suggest emailing the uni your thinking of applying to. They were helpful and advised me of what qualufications they would accept. I've lost my gcse maths certificate and have no idea what the exam board was and the college is now a housing estate, which is why I need to retake it. If you have evidence that you have your qualifications, that should be adequate. Good luck.

Yes, I will message to several uni to ask about this. Thanks for the suggestion!
Reply 33
Original post by JC_C

Thanks alot!

I did my Access through Stonebridge and my functional at the local college
The maths you have done will be ok
Reply 34
Hi im due to start my access course in a couple of weeks, I dont have gcse's and im unsure if i need them to get into uni?
A friend of mine did the same course a 6 years ago, she didnt do her gcse's but got a place at uni without them.
Im 42, a single mum and ive been wanting to do this for so long, now is the right time, im nervous but excited.
Reply 35
Original post by ZowieM
Hi im due to start my access course in a couple of weeks, I dont have gcse's and im unsure if i need them to get into uni?
A friend of mine did the same course a 6 years ago, she didnt do her gcse's but got a place at uni without them.
Im 42, a single mum and ive been wanting to do this for so long, now is the right time, im nervous but excited.

My functional maths English were 14yrs old look at all the entry they may not be on there as a need
Reply 37
:smile:

I enrolled to the online access course on Stonebridge (Health Professionals)
Thanks for all the advice before
Reply 38
Original post by JC_C
:smile:

I enrolled to the online access course on Stonebridge (Health Professionals)
Thanks for all the advice before

Hi, are you due to begin the course or have you already started?
I’m due to start it 5th October and haven’t had any information about logging in etc... yet. I applied through a local college, not through Stonebridge directly but due to all my info coming from the college, I keep getting anxious that Stonebridge haven’t yet been in contact.
Just want to get started... probably I’m being impatient 😬
Reply 39
Hi there, i have already started the access course since 6 September. Actually after Stonebridge called me for the payment then the same day my account was created. Try to contact the local college.:smile:

Quick Reply