The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Can you bring a TV to uni?

Can you bring a TV to uni? Do the rooms have the aerial needed?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lightning720
Can you bring a TV to St Andrews? Do the rooms have the aerial needed?

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/accommodation/ug/current/residents/television/
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

That doesn't confirm if the rooms have an aerial (or whatever you need to actually watch TV).
That doesn't confirm if the rooms have an aerial (or whatever you need to actually watch TV).

I sincerely apologise for my massive oversight. Would it be possible for you to contact your intended accommodation and ask reception?
you can bring your own for your room, i know im just gonna bring a mini one to plug my ps4 in as its got netflix, disney plus etc etc on - just remember you'll have to pay your tv license if you use iplayer, or just normal tv using an aerial so keep that in mind. if youre only going to bring a tv to watch the news, there really is no point, as your flat will have one with the licence included in your bill.
Original post by izziwills2002
you can bring your own for your room, i know im just gonna bring a mini one to plug my ps4 in as its got netflix, disney plus etc etc on - just remember you'll have to pay your tv license if you use iplayer, or just normal tv using an aerial so keep that in mind. if youre only going to bring a tv to watch the news, there really is no point, as your flat will have one with the licence included in your bill.

If you do go to St Andrews, do you know if all of the rooms have a connection to an aerial (or however it works)?
Reply 6
Can you bring a TV to St Andrews? Do the rooms have the aerial needed?

Unlikely to have an aerial point. You can bring a portable aerial.
Original post by 2500_2
Unlikely to have an aerial point. You can bring a portable aerial.

Thank you. Can I ask why it is unlikely to have an aerial point?
Original post by Anonymous
Because it ****ing doesn't.

And you know because?
And you know because?

He has a crystal ball.

I just don't think it's a usual feature of student accommodation. (my uni didn't have any aerial points in rooms) With Netflix, Prime Video, etc. these days not many people bring TVs. The closest thing is monitors for PCs.

When you get your allocation I would ask to see, but I wouldn't have too high hopes.
Reply 11

Because back in the old days when people actually watched a lot of terrestrial TV, it was hugely expensive to hook up every room so no uni did. Students didn't watch TV in their own rooms, they did it in a common space or a bar.
Plus TV licences were always a pain and the uni doesn't want to be liable.

Now that everyone watches on demand, there's no point in any uni spending extra money maintaining aerials/spending loads on cable, they invest the £ into the network instead and if you want to watch something you can use your laptop.
If you do go to St Andrews, do you know if all of the rooms have a connection to an aerial (or however it works)?

man i dont know why everyone's being so rude to you on this post - I'm actually going to Dundee in October so i'll be half an hour away but still not quite! my friend is going to st andrews so i'll double check with him, but from what the website says - your communal area with your kitchen in will have a tv, but no license. so it's up to your flat to split the license costs up, that's what i'm gathering from this as unis usually like to boast about a tv being in the flat etc hahaha
could you tell me what accommodation you're in, it might be the same one as my friend - his is quite expensive so if his doesnt have one i assume the answer for all the flats will be no.
Original post by 999tigger
Because he's lazy, doesnt listen, lacks common sense and could easily just have contacted his chosen accommodation and asked. That ends up being irritating, In general older accommodation will not have aerial points because of the age of the building and there being no need for everyone to have their own tv. Why not just use a decent portable aerial its hardly the end of the world.

Just stop this.

Why are you even still allowed on this site? All you do is going around attacking anyone that doesn't agree with you. It is awful.

If you have a problem with so many people, just go.
Original post by 999tigger
Because he's lazy, doesnt listen, lacks common sense and could easily just have contacted his chosen accommodation and asked. That ends up being irritating, In general older accommodation will not have aerial points because of the age of the building and there being no need for everyone to have their own tv. Why not just use a decent portable aerial its hardly the end of the world.

woah no need for all this haha its just a question about a tv!
if its not the end of the world then don't reply so aggressively, rooms can vary alot - st andrews is one of them where they fluctuate in how modern they are.
and perhaps if /you/ had used your common sense, you would know room offers still haven't been made to everyone yet and won't be until the end of august for MOST unis - i know several of my friends going to the OP's uni who still don't know where they're living. OP probably doesn't know which halls they're in yet so it's just a simple and general question. :smile:
Reply 15
Just stop this.

Why are you even still allowed on this site? All you do is going around attacking anyone that doesn't agree with you. It is awful.

With respect, you could have found the answer to your question in a quick 2 minute phone call to the accommodation provider...

Again though, an aerial port is irrelevant; you can use a portable one.
Original post by izziwills2002
woah no need for all this haha its just a question about a tv!
if its not the end of the world then don't reply so aggressively, rooms can vary alot - st andrews is one of them where they fluctuate in how modern they are.
and perhaps if /you/ had used your common sense, you would know room offers still haven't been made to everyone yet and won't be until the end of august for MOST unis - i know several of my friends going to the OP's uni who still don't know where they're living. OP probably doesn't know which halls they're in yet so it's just a simple and general question. :smile:

Hence he can simply ask the accommodation he is going to and not moan about him getting the exact answer because he hast told us exactly where he is staying..
Just stop this.

To be fair, it would've been easier for you to just contact accommodation - they're more likely to know anyway.
Original post by wastedcuriosity
To be fair, it would've been easier for you to just contact accommodation - they're more likely to know anyway.

To be fair, 999tiger was rude, like normal.
To be fair, 999tiger was rude, like normal.

Agreed he/she is always rude on threads ive noticed. Also I am just wondering why you would need a TV- you may have a laptop/phone to watch shows and there may be a TV in the lounge area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending