The Student Room Group

stuck on a level subject choices

i initially wanted to do biology , chemistry and history to do go into a science degree but as i'm not that good at maths my career path within science would be narrowed , however i do also enjoy english lit , history and Government and politics in the hope of becoming a barrister/corporal lawyer , i am quite good at bio , chem , history and english lit and am expecting 7s and 8s in them tommorrow
could you guys help/advise me on what a levels to do?
Original post by hibam
i initially wanted to do biology , chemistry and history to do go into a science degree but as i'm not that good at maths my career path within science would be narrowed , however i do also enjoy english lit , history and Government and politics in the hope of becoming a barrister/corporal lawyer , i am quite good at bio , chem , history and english lit and am expecting 7s and 8s in them tommorrow

I’m in the exact same position as you and I’m stuck on those a level options too. I’ve chosen chemistry, biology and history and I don’t know whether I should replace history with maths. I have a higher chance of getting an A in history than maths though
Original post by hibam

Getting your grades tomorrow will help you decide.

Have a look at the subjects required for certain degrees at different universities and then decide what you want to do. You may find that you don't need maths for a science degree. Or you only need to study one essay subject for a degree leading to a lawyer.
If you did biology, chemistry and history would that keep all your options open to study a science or law degree? If it does then that could be the best set of A-levels as you can decide what career path you want to take later down the line.
Reply 3
Original post by Isha8080
I’m in the exact same position as you and I’m stuck on those a level options too. I’ve chosen chemistry, biology and history and I don’t know whether I should replace history with maths. I have a higher chance of getting an A in history than maths though

what are you expecting for maths ? ( my teachers predicted me a 5 ) almost everyone does biology ,chemistry and maths i think history would give you a wider range of skills e.g critical thinking and analysis , i think you should go for history why put yourself through 2 years of doing maths if you believe you would ultimately do better in history
Reply 4
Original post by Incede
Getting your grades tomorrow will help you decide.

Have a look at the subjects required for certain degrees at different universities and then decide what you want to do. You may find that you don't need maths for a science degree. Or you only need to study one essay subject for a degree leading to a lawyer.
If you did biology, chemistry and history would that keep all your options open to study a science or law degree? If it does then that could be the best set of A-levels as you can decide what career path you want to take later down the line.

thank you!!!

Quick Reply

Latest