The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Uni to offer bursary to students to defer entry to 2021

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/aug/19/durham-university-offers-students-money-to-defer-entry

'Durham is offering bursaries to make the prospect of waiting a year more palatable. It has promised to honour all offers that are successfully met but says some students “will have to defer entry” because of capacity issues.

An email to students said those who deferred would be guaranteed college accommodation which is always in high demand “and will be provided with a bursary by Durham to help with their transition to university life”. Durham was unable to say how much a bursary would be worth.Other prestigious universities have also suggested that students will have to defer in order for them to honour all offers.'

What do you think of the news?

Had you applied to Durham? Will you take this up, or do you want to go this year regardless?

Would you consider this offer if you were in this position?

Let us know your thoughts!
Sounds a good idea.
I didn't apply to Durham for undergrad but have looked at their postgrad theology, religion&society and mba courses.
If I was in the position to afford the uni accommodation costs, I would consider the offer to defer & receive a bursary and be almost certain to accept.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I think it is good news, although I think it is unfortunate the university is in this situation.
I did apply to Durham but I have already taken a study gap year so I'd rather not take another, even with financial incentives.
I'm starting at Durham this autumn, but I don't think I'll defer. Partly because I wouldn't be able to get any work experience to justify deferring, with or without a second wave, and partly because they haven't released the amount in the bursary, so not really sure whether the financial support would validate a deferral year.

Quick Reply

Latest