Simple Harmonic Motion

Watch this thread
lege-lego
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A grandfather clock uses a simple pendulum to keep an accurate track of time. The seconds hand of the clock moves forward exactly one second each time it moves forward from A to C, and another second each time it moves from C to A.
Determine the length of the pendulum in a grandfather clock that would accurately tell the time. The average gravitational field strength (g) at the Earth's surface is 9.81 ms^(-2).

In this case A and C are the points of maximum amplitude/displacement. So the period would be 2 seconds and the frequency would be 0.5Hz.

But how am I supposed to work out the length???
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lege-lego)
A grandfather clock uses a simple pendulum to keep an accurate track of time. The seconds hand of the clock moves forward exactly one second each time it moves forward from A to C, and another second each time it moves from C to A.
Determine the length of the pendulum in a grandfather clock that would accurately tell the time. The average gravitational field strength (g) at the Earth's surface is 9.81 ms^(-2).

In this case A and C are the points of maximum amplitude/displacement. So the period would be 2 seconds and the frequency would be 0.5Hz.

Is there a formula for simple pendulums in the formula sheet?

Name:  SHM formulae.JPG
Views: 113
Size:  30.2 KB
tande33
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

T=2*pi* root (l/g). (this is at the bottom of the formula sheet) You know length and gravity so you can sub in T too and you have your answer!
lege-lego
Rep:
(Original post by Joinedup)
Is there a formula for simple pendulums in the formula sheet?

Name:  SHM formulae.JPG
Views: 113
Size:  30.2 KB
thanks for this! I'm going to save this formula sheet haha

(Original post by tande33)
T=2*pi* root (l/g). (this is at the bottom of the formula sheet) You know length and gravity so you can sub in T too and you have your answer!
Also, thank you tande. This helped too!
tande33
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
thanks for this! I'm going to save this formula sheet haha

Also, thank you tande. This helped too!
Happy to help. BTW you can get the full formula sheet at this link https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...A-7408-SDB.PDF. It is the one you are given in the exam (if you do aqa)
lege-lego
Rep:
thanks!
tande33
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
nice
Stonebridge
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
lege-lego
Please don't double post questions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (123)
41.84%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
18.37%
No (117)
39.8%

Watched Threads