Going from manual to automatic?

Watch
Nick6501
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I've only been driving just over a year in a manual and i wouldn't say i'm Lewis Hamilton but can drive manual and never been in a near miss or crash etc but i do feel like an automatic would be a better choice for me because of the distance and roads i drive on and just overall more confident, anyone on here transitioned from manual to automatic and would you ever go back etc?

Basically just wanting to see if automatics are these awful bad to drive and oh god who would want an automatic lmao, my parents have drove manuals for like 40 years now so they're agaisn't automatic and push me to get another manual instead so idk what to do.

Also, automatic ford focus any good? like the look of them etc but read somewhere the gearbox isn't very good? if not a focus i was looking at an A3 but apparently they're worse lol.

What do you'll think? btw before people start posting about more control and stuff and sucking off manual lol i do get that and agree but i don't drive a manual and think hell yeah i'm moving a stick myself and get hard over it, i just want a car that goes from A to B
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Driven both. Prefer autos round town or in traffic jams. Prefer manuals everywhere else. Also prefer the better mpg of manuals although that gap is coming down all the time.

Overall I'm not too bothered either way, with a very slight preference for manuals. Some vehicles lend themselves more to autos, eg SUV's, some to manuals, eg more performance / enthusiast type cars.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Nick6501)
I've only been driving just over a year in a manual and i wouldn't say i'm Lewis Hamilton but can drive manual and never been in a near miss or crash etc but i do feel like an automatic would be a better choice for me because of the distance and roads i drive on and just overall more confident, anyone on here transitioned from manual to automatic and would you ever go back etc?

Basically just wanting to see if automatics are these awful bad to drive and oh god who would want an automatic lmao, my parents have drove manuals for like 40 years now so they're agaisn't automatic and push me to get another manual instead so idk what to do.

Also, automatic ford focus any good? like the look of them etc but read somewhere the gearbox isn't very good? if not a focus i was looking at an A3 but apparently they're worse lol.

What do you'll think? btw before people start posting about more control and stuff and sucking off manual lol i do get that and agree but i don't drive a manual and think hell yeah i'm moving a stick myself and get hard over it, i just want a car that goes from A to B
I live in California, so automatics are the default car. They are more expensive, less fuel efficient and slower thought. In stop/go traffic they're easier, but a manual with a light clutch isn't that bad.

Do any of the cars that you're considering have a sequential gearbox? That gives you the best of both, IMO. Automatics are a bit niche in the UK, so be careful to know what they're worth.
Last edited by RogerOxon; 3 months ago
Teddy650123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Automatic - people who want to make driving as easy as possible and just want a car to get them place to place

Manual- people who are more into cars and like the control over a lot of things you get with manual

Automatics can be expensive if they go wrong but go for it, I would get a focus over there a3 though.
FRS500
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I've driven manual cars; automatic cars and automatic motorcycles... tbh I prefer automatic in both every time.

But I feel it's important to be able to drive a manual in both just in case.
nevershear
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You'll be fine. The other way around I found difficult purely because I was used to clutch control and having a foot do nothing was really weird for me. Awareness is a bigger issue than the gearbox you can have is, and if you're already fine driving an automatic the transition won't be too bad.
Jang Gwangnam
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Nick6501)

Driven both.

Imo its easier to overspeed in a automatic and mot realise (especially at the beginning of the transition from manual to automatic).

But yh automatics are nicer and easier drives, if you don't mind getting bored driving, then go for autos.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Run away from automatic Fords as fast as your little legs can carry you. Ford have multiple class action lawsuits currently pending against them in the US regarding their PowerShift (PowerSh!t) automatic gearbox. It's not a matter of if it'll fail, more when.

Nissans with the CVT gearboxes are a massive no-no as well. Just CVTs in general are pretty bad news. Audi had a lot of issues with their CVT boxes in the 2000-2010 period.

VW's/VAG's earlier dry-clutch DCT gearboxes weren't super reliable but their current crop of wet-clutch DCTs are supposedly very good. Porsche's PDK technology is the same thing IIRC.

Other than that anything with a good old-fashioned slush-box is probably your best bet for reliability.

I drove manuals for ten years and then bought an auto. I loved it, and could hop in my partner's manual if I ever needed to scratch the itch to row gears. Unfortunately I like buying old heaps of junk and it didn't end up being a great car so I'm back in a manual now. I do want another auto in the future, but I do have a penchant for big old diesel estates and autos tend to work well in them. I don't think I'd enjoy it so much in a small city hatchback.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (628)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (311)
20.43%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed