The Student Room Group

Quick question: Dissertation image structuring.

I have a reasonable amount of wireframe designs for an application I have designed. My dissertation page count is 60 pages. If I add them in my actual page count, it will leave me with fewer page count for the rest of my write-up.

Probably an obvious answer to this. But do I add these wireframe designs into my Appendix as the Appendix doesn't contribute to the page count.
Original post by Anonymous
I have a reasonable amount of wireframe designs for an application I have designed. My dissertation page count is 60 pages. If I add them in my actual page count, it will leave me with fewer page count for the rest of my write-up.

Probably an obvious answer to this. But do I add these wireframe designs into my Appendix as the Appendix doesn't contribute to the page count.

When you can get away with doing so, yes. If there are some super important images that you need to discuss at length (e.g. a labelled diagram or something) then it might be worth including that in the main body, but I wouldn't waste your pages with pictures if you have an appendix. Chat to your supervisor about this who should be able to confirm though.
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
When you can get away with doing so, yes. If there are some super important images that you need to discuss at length (e.g. a labelled diagram or something) then it might be worth including that in the main body, but I wouldn't waste your pages with pictures if you have an appendix. Chat to your supervisor about this who should be able to confirm though.

Ok, still kind of unsure how to go about this. As I do need to discuss to some length but not in depth. However, there are too many which will take up page count. I guess I will have to discuss this with my supervisor quite soon. Thank you for replying though.
Ok, still kind of unsure how to go about this. As I do need to discuss to some length but not in depth. However, there are too many which will take up page count. I guess I will have to discuss this with my supervisor quite soon. Thank you for replying though.

I'd say for the vast majority of images you can probably put them in the appendix. It's just if you're constantly referring to image 3b throughout a chapter then it might make it far easier on the reader if it's also included in the main body. Does that make sense?
Reply 4
Original post by 04MR17
I'd say for the vast majority of images you can probably put them in the appendix. It's just if you're constantly referring to image 3b throughout a chapter then it might make it far easier on the reader if it's also included in the main body. Does that make sense?

This does make more sense now that you've put it this way. I can include all of them in the Appendix - and the ones I will potentially refer to more than others, I could include a small snippet within the main body. I'll run this over with my supervisor just incase. But I think I do have a better understanding on how to go about this. Thank you!
This does make more sense now that you've put it this way. I can include all of them in the Appendix - and the ones I will potentially refer to more than others, I could include a small snippet within the main body. I'll run this over with my supervisor just incase. But I think I do have a better understanding on how to go about this. Thank you!

Check carefully how your Uni views appendices. I have a similar situation and my uni/faculty is very clear - nothing in an appendix need be read or considered by the examiner. So I've put an example of the product I've designed in the appendix, which has brought my word count in the limit, but I've had to handle the final chapter a little differently, because I can't refer to the product pages and assume they will be read.

Quick Reply

Latest