coffeeflowers
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This year, I was supposed to be taking four, possibly five Highers with my school. However, the school environment has been really bad for me and, particularly with the whole pandemic, it's looking unlikely that I will be able to go back to school. I have already signed up to do a few online, but there is a limit to how many I can study. Doing Highers is really important to me, and I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to teach myself a few Highers at home and just ask to sit the assignments/final exams at my school or local exam centre? The subjects in question would be French, Modern Studies - both of which I studied at National 5 last year - and possibly RMPS. Thank you!
Advertisement
snazzles
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you had enough dedication it's certainly possible, however my main concern reading this is that these are all quite subjective subjects (Modern Studies and RMPS in particular) and so although you could learn the course, without a teacher telling you what you're doing wrong within your essays or where the SQA look to award marks, it may be difficult to achieve a good grade (although not impossible).

In a subject like maths I imagine it would be considerably easier to teach yourself as there are definitive answers and marking schemes to help you progress. Modern Studies (and I imagine RMPS but I didn't study it) have a more subjective marking scheme that may make it more difficult to work out how well you're performing.
coffeeflowers
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by snazzles)
If you had enough dedication it's certainly possible, however my main concern reading this is that these are all quite subjective subjects (Modern Studies and RMPS in particular) and so although you could learn the course, without a teacher telling you what you're doing wrong within your essays or where the SQA look to award marks, it may be difficult to achieve a good grade (although not impossible).

In a subject like maths I imagine it would be considerably easier to teach yourself as there are definitive answers and marking schemes to help you progress. Modern Studies (and I imagine RMPS but I didn't study it) have a more subjective marking scheme that may make it more difficult to work out how well you're performing.
Thank you! Yes, I see what you mean
Advertisement
Tonya.KS
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by coffeeflowers)
This year, I was supposed to be taking four, possibly five Highers with my school. However, the school environment has been really bad for me and, particularly with the whole pandemic, it's looking unlikely that I will be able to go back to school. I have already signed up to do a few online, but there is a limit to how many I can study. Doing Highers is really important to me, and I was wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to teach myself a few Highers at home and just ask to sit the assignments/final exams at my school or local exam centre? The subjects in question would be French, Modern Studies - both of which I studied at National 5 last year - and possibly RMPS. Thank you!
I did five highers in fifth year five years ago and I basically taught all five myself. My teachers were not very good at teaching and I've always had problems with staying focused and concentrating in a classroom environment. I'd go to school, get all the class materials and just daydream in class. Once I get home, that's when I start to do my own studying.

I did maths, English, chemistry, biology and business studies and got 4A's in one sitting so it's doable. But as the other person said your subjects are subjective rather than having definitive answers so it's important you get feedback
Last edited by Tonya.KS; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (18)
21.69%
No (65)
78.31%

Watched Threads