yousafabbasi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi Im 14 and going into year 10 and I just wanted to ask for some tips if anyone has any for starting english language and literature and if yes how should I approach year 10 and 11?
french.learner
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I’m getting my gcse results tomorrow and did both English lit and Lang,
My advice for you for Literature is to be in the habit of reading books and constantly reviewing literature that may be from different genres. I think it’s important to read a wide range of literary books because it just helps you with understanding why writers choose specific words to create specific moods/feelings. I’m not sure what book you’ll be doing for English lit but make sure to look at different analyses of your novel/play because that’s really helpful when your asked questions on your book for homework or exams. Spark notes and Cliff notes are really helpful for giving detailed explanations of what went on in each chapter/scene and thorough character analysis documents.
For English language it’s important that when you are given a structure to follow to answer specific questions that you completely understand exactly what that structure is. For example certain questions will require you to give 10 bits of detail AND a development whereas other questions only require 5 bits.
Tbh all of what I’m saying will make sense as you go further into year 10/11. Just enjoy your English subjects, it’s nice and different to your sciences or maths and uses a different part of your brain.
Hope any of that helps !!
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
key thing for english lang is do lots of wider reading of a variety of texts, know your terminology well and do plenty of practice papers in timed conditions :yep:
good resources for english lit are: mr bruff, mr salles teaches english, cliffnotes, sparknotes, genius and litcharts. seneca learning's alright for revision but i wouldn't rely on it. take the time to annotate the texts you are studying. make good notes on themes and characters- you could do this in whatever format suits you best ie. mindmaps, tables, bullet points. do lots of practice for english lit too so you're prepared to talk about any characters and themes. make sure you are considerate of authorial methods and context too; might be worth making notes on these if they are not integrated in your character and theme notes.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (7)
50%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
14.29%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
7.14%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (2)
14.29%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (1)
7.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
7.14%

Watched Threads