The Student Room Group

Petition to Cancel A Levels 2021

Scroll to see replies

I am not sure how you think you have missed half your A level?
You have missed maybe March/ April and at a stretch June, but that is normally exams.
I think you have missed c10 weeks and not 40.

Did people stop studying as soon as schools closed? People can still make notes or their nea. the ones most disadvantaged were ones needing lab or workshop time.

Schools could be open for longer hours or they could shave 10%-15% off the syllabus.

You could also go for getting the same deal as the 2020 year with teachers predicting grades and then be really nice to them next year.
Yes I want to sign
A petition identical to that got shot down recently, no sense in creating another one.
Actually, students missed March; April; May; June and July. Many schools/students missed even more then that due to self isolating and closure due to COVID cases.While you make a valid point by questioning whether people stopped revising, it’s important to note that not everyone has the ability to properly educate themselves at home. Many do not have internet, don’t have computers, textbooks, aren’t being given adequate work by their teachers or are grieving the loss of someone close to them due to the pandemic. Even without those issues, many students will struggle. A busy home is not an appropriate place to study, especially without support of any kind. There are numerous distractions, and if a student is financially struggling then there is no way they will be able to afford to buy all the equipment they need or pay for additional tutoring to keep themselves up to date. They’ve already missed 1/4 of the syllabus without considering how many have self isolated or how many schools have been shut down - it’s quite obvious that you do not understand that.
Reply 5
Exams should definitely go ahead, maybe with a truncated syllabus. Repeated exam cancellations are disastrous for the countrys future.
Maybe they can introduce a system where you can opt out of the exams if you wish to.
Please dont sign this petition. Lots of people have worked so hard during lockdown and teachers dont really know about this when making their predictions. They just go off the data they have. These exams are the chance for students to get the grades they deserve. You're not the only person who has been affected by the virus, EVERYONE has! Some people just give up now and don't put any effort in just because they think by signing these petitions exams will be cancelled. I don't understand why people are making such a fuss. I understand how we have missed so much but theres other ways to make our lives easier e.g. shorter exams etc.
Reply 7
Original post by .2.0.0.3.
Please dont sign this petition. Lots of people have worked so hard during lockdown and teachers dont really know about this when making their predictions. They just go off the data they have. These exams are the chance for students to get the grades they deserve. You're not the only person who has been affected by the virus, EVERYONE has! Some people just give up now and don't put any effort in just because they think by signing these petitions exams will be cancelled. I don't understand why people are making such a fuss. I understand how we have missed so much but theres other ways to make our lives easier e.g. shorter exams etc.

PRSOM
My achieved A levels were higher than my predicted A levels
Original post by A_J_B
PRSOM
My achieved A levels were higher than my predicted A levels

Exactly. Teachers predictions arent always accurate. I really hope that exams run this year. My predicted for ucas was BBC but i got a BBB offer and i really want ABB so i can go through adjustment... im just hoping that i can at least go for my BBB offer.
Reply 9
Original post by Bahitskiiy
Actually, students missed March; April; May; June and July. Many schools/students missed even more then that due to self isolating and closure due to COVID cases.While you make a valid point by questioning whether people stopped revising, it’s important to note that not everyone has the ability to properly educate themselves at home. Many do not have internet, don’t have computers, textbooks, aren’t being given adequate work by their teachers or are grieving the loss of someone close to them due to the pandemic. Even without those issues, many students will struggle. A busy home is not an appropriate place to study, especially without support of any kind. There are numerous distractions, and if a student is financially struggling then there is no way they will be able to afford to buy all the equipment they need or pay for additional tutoring to keep themselves up to date. They’ve already missed 1/4 of the syllabus without considering how many have self isolated or how many schools have been shut down - it’s quite obvious that you do not understand that.

not to mention, my college hasn't decided to go over content learned in lockdown and even the new content we learn in lessons, we are expected to have pre-read and learnt it so that we only go over it briefly in lessons and over the difficult concepts. not sure why we do this in college but i hate it. is that even classed as teaching because i don't learn f*ckawl from it.
Original post by nhsia
not to mention, my college hasn't decided to go over content learned in lockdown and even the new content we learn in lessons, we are expected to have pre-read and learnt it so that we only go over it briefly in lessons and over the difficult concepts. not sure why we do this in college but i hate it. is that even classed as teaching because i don't learn f*ckawl from it.

Same same same same.
Reply 11
Same same same same.

glad to know i'm not the only one at least
Original post by nhsia
glad to know i'm not the only one at least

And let me tell u even more.. apparently by mid feb we would have finished all of the a level content, thanks to rushed lessons :smile:
Reply 13
And let me tell u even more.. apparently by mid feb we would have finished all of the a level content, thanks to rushed lessons :smile:

bro EXACTLY. they literally had enough time to teach us properly and potentially even get through the missed content in lockdown. but no, clearly that's not an option:facepalm:
Original post by nhsia
bro EXACTLY. they literally had enough time to teach us properly and potentially even get through the missed content in lockdown. but no, clearly that's not an option:facepalm:

They made us do 4 modules which are usually taught in year 13 and we had to do them whilst we're in year 12. Tbh i feel like even the teachers are fed up.
Reply 15
some moderator pls delete this thread lol.... don't want this petition to be promoted.
Reply 16
They made us do 4 modules which are usually taught in year 13 and we had to do them whilst we're in year 12. Tbh i feel like even the teachers are fed up.

wait what how? what subject was this for? and i feel sorry for them too but they have to do their job with the thought that exams are gonna continue so, fed up or not, it's our grades at stake.
Original post by nhsia
wait what how? what subject was this for? and i feel sorry for them too but they have to do their job with the thought that exams are gonna continue so, fed up or not, it's our grades at stake.

This was for bio.
Original post by Raja12
some moderator pls delete this thread lol.... don't want this petition to be promoted.

Lol ikr
I think they should just give a choice, if you want your predicted grades you get them but if you want to sit the exam, you do it. That way the majority of people will be happy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending