The Student Room Group

Reports of 15,000 students originally rejected now meeting firm offer

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1296127740773650432

Reports (*we have yet to get anything come through official news channels, though this will be updated as soon as it does*) are coming through that now UCAS have received the CAG's from the exam boards, around 15,000 students now meet the conditions of their firm offer, with around 90% of them relating to higher tariff universities.

Did you meet your firm choice offer with your CAG's? What are your plans, are you going to try and get into your firm choice, or stick with your insurance/clearing offer if you have it?

Is your university accepting you, or have you been asked to defer a year?
(edited 3 years ago)
Apparently the next stage is another petition protests and legal action against the government, ofqual and universities for denying them human rights.
They are already crowdfunding lawyers. I wonder if they will insist on forcing out the students who got places in clearing or lower grades than their teachers gifted them? Will students start picketing other students for stealing their place?
Predictable mess, created by spineless politicians meddling in something they don't understand / care about.

Expect, more valid, outrage when there are significantly fewer places for next year's applicants. What a mess.

Then there's the issue of some of these students, that haven't studied since lockdown started, who will struggle at universities with overly large cohorts. They'll be the first to complain about that.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by RogerOxon
Predictable mess, created by spineless politicians meddling in something they don't understand / care about.

Expect, more valid, outrage when there are significantly fewer places for next year's applicants. What a mess.

Then there's the issue of some of these students, that haven't studied since lockdown started, who will struggle at universities with overly large cohorts. They'll be the first to complain about that.

What would a workable solution be? I know it's a big mess but what options are there
Original post by Itzmeee
What would a workable solution be? I know it's a big mess but what options are there

IMO, there should have been more of an effort to hold actual exams. Many schools could have managed to have everyone sit exams, whilst being adequately spaced.

The moderating algorithm wasn't perfect, but it's better than awarding so many undeserved grades. Those teachers / schools that over-predicted got rewarded. Those wanting to appeal the moderated grades could have sat an exam, or been assessed individually by an examiner.

As it is, we've over-awarded grades and, therefore, university places, reducing the number of places for next year's applicants. It's deeply unfair on them. I do wonder what the spinless politicians will do when they complain? They can also question why so few A and A* grades will be awarded, relative to this year.

It would appear that we'll be giving A levels away with breakfast cereal pretty soon.
Original post by StrawberryDreams
https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1296127740773650432

Reports (*we have yet to get anything come through official news channels, though this will be updated as soon as it does*) are coming through that now UCAS have received the CAG's from the exam boards, around 15,000 students now meet the conditions of their firm offer, with around 90% of them relating to higher tariff universities.

Did you meet your firm choice offer with your CAG's? What are your plans, are you going to try and get into your firm choice, or stick with your insurance/clearing offer if you have it?

Is your university accepting you, or have you been asked to defer a year?

I met my firm offer for A&F in warwick and I'm going there now. Still waiting for an offer letter but I got an email saying I'm getting an offer and UCAS has been updated, albeit conditional (dk what glitch up). I've not been asked to defer a year.
Original post by RogerOxon

Oh how true that has turned out to be !

Latest