The Student Room Group

How difficult is Podiatry?

If you have no science background, how should you prepare for a Podiatry degree, e.g. what knowledge should you prioritise pre-learning?

Secondly, how much anatomy is there in a Podiatry degree, do you have to know the anatomy of the whole body in depth, or just the ankle and foot?
Reply 1
Hi,

I’m currently in my second year for podiatry.
I can’t answer for all universities but I know for my first year It would be useful to start pre-learning the whole structures of the lower limb( lower spine/pelvis to foot) , for example bones, muscles & vein/artery/ nerve pathways. We also did basic physiology for first year if your not familiar, it’s good to pre-learn all the systems of the body excluding the reproductive system as this won’t have any relevance to the degree. If you wanted to go further and maybe look at clinical side of things you could look up reading material online or look at the HCPC regulations for podiatry Or the NICE guidelines for podiatric clinical procedures for insight on treating patients.

Hope this helps.

Which university are you starting at?😊
Reply 2
Original post by Lpt17
Hi,

I’m currently in my second year for podiatry.
I can’t answer for all universities but I know for my first year It would be useful to start pre-learning the whole structures of the lower limb( lower spine/pelvis to foot) , for example bones, muscles & vein/artery/ nerve pathways. We also did basic physiology for first year if your not familiar, it’s good to pre-learn all the systems of the body excluding the reproductive system as this won’t have any relevance to the degree. If you wanted to go further and maybe look at clinical side of things you could look up reading material online or look at the HCPC regulations for podiatry Or the NICE guidelines for podiatric clinical procedures for insight on treating patients.

Hope this helps.

Which university are you starting at?😊

Hi
I am also starting southampton university this year. Because of covid it has been almost impossible to find work shadowing opportunities, if you dont mind, can i have your instagram? I have few questions regardi g podiarty.
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest