Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
why is the halide ions easier to discharge than hydroxide ions, and hydroxide easier than all other negative ions?

if someone could briefly explain this to me would be greatly appreciated, I'm recapping it and am getting confused...thanks!!
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by vix.xvi)
why is the halide ions easier to discharge than hydroxide ions, and hydroxide easier than all other negative ions?

if someone could briefly explain this to me would be greatly appreciated, I'm recapping it and am getting confused...thanks!!
These are reactions just like any other and, as such, are governed by the laws of thermodynamics and kinetics.

The overall driving force behind every reaction is its effect on the universal entropy. However, a full explanation is probably too complicated for your level, so suffice to say the reaction:

2H+(aq) + 2e ==> H2(g)

is thermodynamically (energetically) more favourable (easier) than:

4OH-(aq) - 4e ==> 2H2O(l) + O2(g)

This reaction, in turn is easier than:

2Cl-(aq) - 2e ==> Cl2(g)

Wait a minute (I hear you cry), I thought that the last two were the other way round?

This is where kinetics come into play.

The actual concentration of hydroxide ions in an aqueous solution is very low (about 1 x 10-7 mol dm-3), whereas in a solution containing chloride ions the concentration is usually much higher. This tips the balance in favour of the chlroride reaction.

If you dilute the chloride solution down below about 0.01 mol dm-3 then oxygen gas will be preferentially released.

There is no clear cut-off, rather the chloride reaction rate steadily decreases as the solution concentration decreases. This is what we would expect with kinetics (rate of reaction).
Last edited by charco; 9 months ago
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by charco)
These are reactions just like any other and, as such, are governed by the laws of thermodynamics and kinetics.

The overall driving force behind every reaction is its effect on the universal entropy. However, a full explanation is probably too complicated for your level, so suffice to say the reaction:

2H+(aq) + 2e ==> H2(g)

is thermodynamically (energetically) more favourable (easier) than:

4OH-(aq) - 4e ==> 2H2O(l) + O2(g)

This reaction, in turn is easier than:

2Cl-(aq) - 2e ==> Cl2(g)

Wait a minute (I hear you cry), I thought that the last two were the other way round?

This is where kinetics come into play.

The actual concentration of hydroxide ions in an aqueous solution is very low (about 1 x 10-7 mol dm-3), whereas in a solution containing chloride ions the concentration is usually much higher. This tips the balance in favour of the chlroride reaction.

If you dilute the chloride solution down below about 0.01 mol dm-3 then oxygen gas will be preferentially released.

There is no clear cut-off, rather the chloride reaction rate steadily decreases as the solution concentration decreases. This is what we would expect with kinetics (rate of reaction).
ahh kk thanks sooo much!! i appreciate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (71)
38.17%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (18)
9.68%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.45%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (45)
24.19%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.44%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
8.06%

Watched Threads