apolaroidofus
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I've decided I definitely want to study maths, further maths and chemistry at A-level but I'm torn between Spanish and physics for the fourth option (my college makes all further maths students take four but I want to in any case). I either want to study maths or chemistry at university, hopefully at Oxford! I know physics would make the most sense since it is well-suited to these courses as well as my other subjects but I prefer Spanish (I absolutely adore Spanish). With physics, I really enjoy radioactivity, electromagnetism, astronomy, etc but I really haven't enjoyed forces and motion at GCSE. I loved the AQA specification for physics and was almost completely convinced to do it but turns out my college does OCR A and this spec interests me less. I am better at Spanish than I am at physics (though I'm predicted 9s in both at GCSE) but I know that A-level Spanish is really hard and the natives tend to get most of the A*s. Does anyone have any guidance/advice/new perspectives that they might be able to offer to help me make my decision? Thank you
Bazookatron21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by apolaroidofus)
I've decided I definitely want to study maths, further maths and chemistry at A-level but I'm torn between Spanish and physics for the fourth option (my college makes all further maths students take four but I want to in any case). I either want to study maths or chemistry at university, hopefully at Oxford! I know physics would make the most sense since it is well-suited to these courses as well as my other subjects but I prefer Spanish (I absolutely adore Spanish). With physics, I really enjoy radioactivity, electromagnetism, astronomy, etc but I really haven't enjoyed forces and motion at GCSE. I loved the AQA specification for physics and was almost completely convinced to do it but turns out my college does OCR A and this spec interests me less. I am better at Spanish than I am at physics (though I'm predicted 9s in both at GCSE) but I know that A-level Spanish is really hard and the natives tend to get most of the A*s. Does anyone have any guidance/advice/new perspectives that they might be able to offer to help me make my decision? Thank you
As someone who studied Fmaths and Physics and knows ppl who did maths, spanish and physics, I'd say chosing either will be equally as hard for you at first but Physics will become sooo much easier with ur subject combo. It's still completely your choice however but the reason I say this is because normally the first lessons in physics (other than practicals) are forces and moments (yes the stuff everyone likes less). It will be confusing and hard at first but once it's over you'll pretty much master it over time. Then you'll find the exact same topics in maths (Mechanics module), and you'll literally know everything before your maths class so you can flex 😂. Or if it's the other way around and most the ppl in maths do physics, then you won't feel left out when they start to flex their physics.
Year 2 Physics is the more interesting stuff like radioactivity,electromagnetism, astro... But before that you have 2 more forces topics (circular motion and simple harmonic motion). If ur doing further maths, you'll realise that these topics again come up in the further mechanics module. So they overlap again! (The ones in Physics are like a simpler version tho and u only need normal maths skills).
You also said you do chemistry. Guess what, more subject overlap!😂 Thermal physics is literally chemistry with bits of physics added on. All the chem students had a massive advantage in that topic.
Also, if you wanna do maths especially at Oxford then Physics, Maths and Fmaths is the way to go. It may help you with the interviews and entrance exams.

As you can see,maths and physics (and a bit of chem) are literally connected in so many ways. However you may find physics difficult especially at the start (everyone does). It's one of the hardest subjects, but most ppl find Further maths a lot harder (cuz it is!😂). But you seem rlly smart so you'll definintely get through. Again I'm gonna reiterate and say Physics is gonna be hard especially in the first term, but once you get rolling, all ur subjects are gonna overlap in places and that's gonna help a lot.

ONTO SPANISH: Great subject, great language. I always wanted to learn it but my first secondary school only had french so I was stuck with that. If you really wanna do it, there's nothing stopping you. Only thing is you gotta have a lot resolve and stick to it because it's an essay-type subject. What i mean by that is u gotta write a lot, and when u do subjects like maths, fmaths and physics in my case, you do get lazy since you barely have to write much😅. That's why I advice those 3 subjects cuz they go so well together. Doing a subject like this will be a lot of hard work but if you really wanna do it then you definitely can.

Also, do check with Oxford and ur other Unis about their A-level requirements just in case before making any decisions.

Between the 2 if it's 50/50 I'd recommend Physics (recommend, not saying you have to) because like I said before, when you enter an essay-type subject like spanish striaght after maths, u gotta change up ur thinking completely, and doing this over and over again can tire ppl out. If you come out of maths and into physics, it's just maths again with a bit of theory. And physics to maths is even better because you turn off theory and just focus on the maths😅

Sorry for the long answer but I just wanted to share what I picked up from stuyding Maths, Fmaths, Physics and Computing for 2 years as I'm heading out for Uni now so I just wanted to share the knowledge and what I would've liked to know when I first started out. Hope you make the right choice, Good luck!😊
GillisRobbieWGS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi there!

I do A Level French and I'm currently beating a native speaker out of the park like there's no tomorrow. If you work hard at a language you'll do well.
I'd say if you're better at Spanish and there are parts of Physics that you don't enjoy, take Spanish as something that you can truly look forward to in the week and you know it's something you like

Goof Luck!
Gerrard88
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Think carefully before you choose, alevels are not easy. I’m studying maths and physics (and psychology) for my alevels. I can’t comment on Spanish.

But physics on the other hand, I can. I chose physics because I enjoy maths a lot, and I got an 8 in physics at gcse, so I thought I might aswell. However, that’s my mistake, picking subject because I’m fairly decent at it, without having any passion. Now, I’m left with the consequences. Physics is immensely difficult, on top of that I don’t even like the subject, so I literally have to force myself to sit down and study. I’m in year 12, and this first year has been awful, it’s been a mental battle everyday to sit down and do the work. On top of that, I’m failing miserably, which just makes matters worse. I thought I’d be able to get away with being good at physics, but apparently not. I can’t explain how mentally drained I feel after doing 15 mins of physics. Yes there is some overlap, but it’s only one small section, the Mechanics topic, bar that it’s a whole new subject (obviously your going to be doing equations and stuff in physics too).

Therefore, don’t go into physics thinking it’s going to be easy because of the overlap with maths, because it’s not and the overlap is one topic. Also, don’t go into physics just because your ‘good’ at it, without having any passion for it because when things get hard, and it definitely will, you’ll have to drag your body to do work, which affects your mental health a lot.
apolaroidofus
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Thank you all so much!
(Original post by Bazookatron21)
As someone who studied Fmaths and Physics and knows ppl who did maths, spanish and physics, I'd say chosing either will be equally as hard for you at first but Physics will become sooo much easier with ur subject combo. It's still completely your choice however but the reason I say this is because normally the first lessons in physics (other than practicals) are forces and moments (yes the stuff everyone likes less). It will be confusing and hard at first but once it's over you'll pretty much master it over time. Then you'll find the exact same topics in maths (Mechanics module), and you'll literally know everything before your maths class so you can flex 😂. Or if it's the other way around and most the ppl in maths do physics, then you won't feel left out when they start to flex their physics.
Year 2 Physics is the more interesting stuff like radioactivity,electromagnetism, astro... But before that you have 2 more forces topics (circular motion and simple harmonic motion). If ur doing further maths, you'll realise that these topics again come up in the further mechanics module. So they overlap again! (The ones in Physics are like a simpler version tho and u only need normal maths skills).
You also said you do chemistry. Guess what, more subject overlap!😂 Thermal physics is literally chemistry with bits of physics added on. All the chem students had a massive advantage in that topic.
Also, if you wanna do maths especially at Oxford then Physics, Maths and Fmaths is the way to go. It may help you with the interviews and entrance exams.

As you can see,maths and physics (and a bit of chem) are literally connected in so many ways. However you may find physics difficult especially at the start (everyone does). It's one of the hardest subjects, but most ppl find Further maths a lot harder (cuz it is!😂). But you seem rlly smart so you'll definintely get through. Again I'm gonna reiterate and say Physics is gonna be hard especially in the first term, but once you get rolling, all ur subjects are gonna overlap in places and that's gonna help a lot.

ONTO SPANISH: Great subject, great language. I always wanted to learn it but my first secondary school only had french so I was stuck with that. If you really wanna do it, there's nothing stopping you. Only thing is you gotta have a lot resolve and stick to it because it's an essay-type subject. What i mean by that is u gotta write a lot, and when u do subjects like maths, fmaths and physics in my case, you do get lazy since you barely have to write much😅. That's why I advice those 3 subjects cuz they go so well together. Doing a subject like this will be a lot of hard work but if you really wanna do it then you definitely can.

Also, do check with Oxford and ur other Unis about their A-level requirements just in case before making any decisions.

Between the 2 if it's 50/50 I'd recommend Physics (recommend, not saying you have to) because like I said before, when you enter an essay-type subject like spanish striaght after maths, u gotta change up ur thinking completely, and doing this over and over again can tire ppl out. If you come out of maths and into physics, it's just maths again with a bit of theory. And physics to maths is even better because you turn off theory and just focus on the maths😅

Sorry for the long answer but I just wanted to share what I picked up from stuyding Maths, Fmaths, Physics and Computing for 2 years as I'm heading out for Uni now so I just wanted to share the knowledge and what I would've liked to know when I first started out. Hope you make the right choice, Good luck!😊
Ah thank you for typing out such a detailed answer! This is super helpful. I keep meaning to ask the college if they do mechanics for further maths because that would definitely make me more inclined to take physics. I do really like the idea of just sticking with sciences and never really having to write long essays etc. Thank you again

(Original post by GillisRobbieWGS)
Hi there!

I do A Level French and I'm currently beating a native speaker out of the park like there's no tomorrow. If you work hard at a language you'll do well.
I'd say if you're better at Spanish and there are parts of Physics that you don't enjoy, take Spanish as something that you can truly look forward to in the week and you know it's something you like

Goof Luck!
Honestly, maths is the thing I'll be looking forward to in the week (I sound like such a loser ahaha) but I do really like the idea of having Spanish as something different and it definitely would make me happy having it on my timetable.. why is this so hard aha! It's really encouraging to know that it's possible to beat a native ahaha.. you must be super clever! I do French for GCSE and I'm hoping to get a 9 but I find it so so difficult... I'm lucky my year won't have to do a formal speaking exam though (half the tenses are pronounced the same like WHAT) and we get a greater choice of writing questions so I'm praying I'll be fine.. my French listening really lets me down but we'll see I guess. Thank you so much for the help

(Original post by Gerrard88)
Think carefully before you choose, alevels are not easy. I’m studying maths and physics (and psychology) for my alevels. I can’t comment on Spanish.

But physics on the other hand, I can. I chose physics because I enjoy maths a lot, and I got an 8 in physics at gcse, so I thought I might aswell. However, that’s my mistake, picking subject because I’m fairly decent at it, without having any passion. Now, I’m left with the consequences. Physics is immensely difficult, on top of that I don’t even like the subject, so I literally have to force myself to sit down and study. I’m in year 12, and this first year has been awful, it’s been a mental battle everyday to sit down and do the work. On top of that, I’m failing miserably, which just makes matters worse. I thought I’d be able to get away with being good at physics, but apparently not. I can’t explain how mentally drained I feel after doing 15 mins of physics. Yes there is some overlap, but it’s only one small section, the Mechanics topic, bar that it’s a whole new subject (obviously your going to be doing equations and stuff in physics too).

Therefore, don’t go into physics thinking it’s going to be easy because of the overlap with maths, because it’s not and the overlap is one topic. Also, don’t go into physics just because your ‘good’ at it, without having any passion for it because when things get hard, and it definitely will, you’ll have to drag your body to do work, which affects your mental health a lot.
Ahh okay, thank you Did you enjoy physics at all at GCSE or did you find the whole subject boring? I think I might be able to muddle by with forces and motion, especially since this is where the maths overlap is.. a lot of people find A-level more interesting, would you say this is true?
GillisRobbieWGS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thank you all so !

Ah thank you for typing out such a detailed answer! This is super helpful. I keep meaning to ask the college if they do mechanics for further maths because that would definitely make me more inclined to take physics. I do really like the idea of just sticking with sciences and never really having to write long essays etc. Thank you again

Honestly, maths is the thing I'll be looking forward to in the week (I sound like such a loser ahaha) but I do really like the idea of having Spanish as something different and it definitely would make me happy having it on my timetable.. why is this so hard aha! It's really encouraging to know that it's possible to beat a native ahaha.. you must be super clever! I do French for GCSE and I'm hoping to get a 9 but I find it so so difficult... I'm lucky my year won't have to do a formal speaking exam though (half the tenses are pronounced the same like WHAT) and we get a greater choice of writing questions so I'm praying I'll be fine.. my French listening really lets me down but we'll see I guess. Thank you so much for the help

Ahh okay, thank you Did you enjoy physics at all at GCSE or did you find the whole subject boring? I think I might be able to muddle by with forces and motion, especially since this is where the maths overlap is.. a lot of people find A-level more interesting, would you say this is true?
Tell me about the tenses sounding the same! It's the one thing that I've revised the hardest this summer and I'm still not 100% sure
Gerrard88
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thank you all so much!
I didn’t really enjoy physics at gcse, that may have been down to the fact we didn’t have any science teachers due to school problems. We had a me supply teacher every other week, which you can imagine how that went, so we were left to teach our sleeves. Therefore, I was just cramming all the info, without really enjoying the process.

Some parts of physics I like, mechanics, astronomy and sometimes waves & nature of light. But even then, as soon as it gets difficult, I literally can’t be bothered to sit down and study.

Also, keep in mind that I’m in year 12, and half the year we were studying at home.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (76)
63.33%
I don't have everything I need (44)
36.67%

Watched Threads