The Student Room Group

Nottingham Uni vs Manchester Uni?

in terms of student life, reputation? :smile: I know that Nottingham is a campus uni and Manchester is based in the city
Original post by ninjacaty
in terms of student life, reputation? :smile: I know that Nottingham is a campus uni and Manchester is based in the city

Manchester apparently is a better City and has a strong reputation.

You have to decide which you prefer between a campus-type or city-type uni. All the best
Both are great unis and great cities so you cannot go wrong. Yes, Nottingham is a campus uni but it's not isolated like other campus unis - the city is only a few miles away. Manchester has a much better student social scene. There is manchester uni, manchester met, royal northern college of music plus a host of other HE colleges.

There were 46.5k crimes in Nottingham whilst Manchester has a higher-than-average crime rate across the board, appearing in the top 10 for most types of crime.

Manchester is the bigger city.
Student life: I doubt there is much in it tbh.
Reputation: Again not a lot in it, depends on the subject. Id say Notts is very slightly more prestigious imo (but I am a Nottingham alumni).

Reality is:
Both are very well respected uni's, both are large research focused unis, with big student populations, probably similar student life, & exit prospects are similar.

What subject are you interested in?
Reply 4
Original post by mnot
Reputation: Again not a lot in it, depends on the subject. Id say Notts is very slightly more prestigious imo (but I am a Nottingham alumni).

Reality is:
Both are very well respected uni's, both are large research focused unis, with big student populations, probably similar student life, & exit prospects are similar.

I´m interested in English Literature at Nottingham. However, I´m not a native speaker so I´m not sure whether it will make much sense. I know that they will grade everyone the same and won´t care that I´m a non - native speaker and although I´m passionate about the subject, I don´t want to overestimate myself. Plus, I don´t want to feel isolated among the other English grads who are most probably native speakers :/
I´m interested in English Literature at Nottingham. However, I´m not a native speaker so I´m not sure whether it will make much sense. I know that they will grade everyone the same and won´t care that I´m a non - native speaker and although I´m passionate about the subject, I don´t want to overestimate myself. Plus, I don´t want to feel isolated among the other English grads who are most probably native speakers :/

Well you can clearly speak English and they wouldn’t accept you if you weren’t competent.

These are normal things to be anxious about but once you arrive at uni you’ll settle in, being a native speaker shouldn’t matter if you enjoy the subject then you’ll be fine!
Original post by mnot

Reality is:

Which uni is better for pharmacy? I prefer living in city campus and good social life.
Original post by rawToast
Which uni is better for pharmacy? I prefer living in city campus and good social life.

I believe Nottingham is (I think Nottingham has one of the best pharma research centres in the world).

Well Nottingham is a campus uni in a city (and about 10 minute trip to the city centre via bus/tram etc.). I believe Manchester is a city uni in the city centre. (im not sure what a city campus is).

Im pretty sure both unis have excellent social life side to them.
Original post by mnot

Reality is:

what about pharmacy? i've heard that the course for pharmacy at notts is better but tbh I think both of them are really good and i think I would enjoy going to both manchester and notts. the only downside of manchester is the accomodation, everything else is really impressive esp the city
Bristol : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khM7tjui86Q

And you can find other films about Uni cities on YouTube as well.
what about pharmacy? i've heard that the course for pharmacy at notts is better but tbh I think both of them are really good and i think I would enjoy going to both manchester and notts. the only downside of manchester is the accomodation, everything else is really impressive esp the city

Cant comment on the specifics of either course, or what its like for an undergraduate but I know Nottingham has one of the best pharmacy research departments in the world and the subject and I think in general is Notts pharmacy is very well respected.
Original post by mnot
Cant comment on the specifics of either course, or what its like for an undergraduate but I know Nottingham has one of the best pharmacy research departments in the world and the subject and I think in general is Notts pharmacy is very well respected.

also I heard that manchester has a very big drug culture, i personally dont and will never take drugs. But do pharmacy/ healthcare students take drug? (yes specifically pharmacy students bc i figured they would care more abt their health right? )
also I heard that manchester has a very big drug culture, i personally dont and will never take drugs. But do pharmacy/ healthcare students take drug? (yes specifically pharmacy students bc i figured they would care more abt their health right? )

Every uni has students who take drugs, Ive no idea how many & i have no reason to suspect pharmacy students take drugs more or less disproportionately compared to other students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending