ninjacaty
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
in terms of student life, reputation? I know that Nottingham is a campus uni and Manchester is based in the city
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ninjacaty)
in terms of student life, reputation? I know that Nottingham is a campus uni and Manchester is based in the city
Manchester apparently is a better City and has a strong reputation.

You have to decide which you prefer between a campus-type or city-type uni. All the best
mike23mike
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Both are great unis and great cities so you cannot go wrong. Yes, Nottingham is a campus uni but it's not isolated like other campus unis - the city is only a few miles away. Manchester has a much better student social scene. There is manchester uni, manchester met, royal northern college of music plus a host of other HE colleges.

There were 46.5k crimes in Nottingham whilst Manchester has a higher-than-average crime rate across the board, appearing in the top 10 for most types of crime.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Manchester is the bigger city.
Student life: I doubt there is much in it tbh.
Reputation: Again not a lot in it, depends on the subject. Id say Notts is very slightly more prestigious imo (but I am a Nottingham alumni).

Reality is:
Both are very well respected uni's, both are large research focused unis, with big student populations, probably similar student life, & exit prospects are similar.

What subject are you interested in?
ninjacaty
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
Reputation: Again not a lot in it, depends on the subject. Id say Notts is very slightly more prestigious imo (but I am a Nottingham alumni).

Reality is:
Both are very well respected uni's, both are large research focused unis, with big student populations, probably similar student life, & exit prospects are similar.

I´m interested in English Literature at Nottingham. However, I´m not a native speaker so I´m not sure whether it will make much sense. I know that they will grade everyone the same and won´t care that I´m a non - native speaker and although I´m passionate about the subject, I don´t want to overestimate myself. Plus, I don´t want to feel isolated among the other English grads who are most probably native speakers :/
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I´m interested in English Literature at Nottingham. However, I´m not a native speaker so I´m not sure whether it will make much sense. I know that they will grade everyone the same and won´t care that I´m a non - native speaker and although I´m passionate about the subject, I don´t want to overestimate myself. Plus, I don´t want to feel isolated among the other English grads who are most probably native speakers :/
Well you can clearly speak English and they wouldn’t accept you if you weren’t competent.

These are normal things to be anxious about but once you arrive at uni you’ll settle in, being a native speaker shouldn’t matter if you enjoy the subject then you’ll be fine!
rawToast
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by mnot)

Reality is:

Which uni is better for pharmacy? I prefer living in city campus and good social life.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by rawToast)
Which uni is better for pharmacy? I prefer living in city campus and good social life.
I believe Nottingham is (I think Nottingham has one of the best pharma research centres in the world).

Well Nottingham is a campus uni in a city (and about 10 minute trip to the city centre via bus/tram etc.). I believe Manchester is a city uni in the city centre. (im not sure what a city campus is).

Im pretty sure both unis have excellent social life side to them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (516)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.38%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.37%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.57%

Watched Threads