The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

City University of London REVIEW

Hi everyone, this year I am gonna be attending the City university of London to study economics. I joined this course through clearing so I'm feeling quit anxious about it and haven't been able to find many people who could give me a bit of an insight. Even if your doing a different course a bit little review would be much appreciated and especially about spring week prospects and jobs after graduation.
Thanks!!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I’m also attending for econ this year, City was my insurance choice and I did like it when I went up to see it. Thought the presentation was excellent and the course seems good, and although the uni lacks the ‘grandness’ of the UCLs and Kings of this world, I thought the facilities were excellent overall. I think the uni has good prospects in general, 26k average grad salary for econ is great, and I’m pretty sure they have a work placement thing in the second year.
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
i’m doing econ too!!!! are you guys on the group chats??have you received ur registration emails?? there’s an error with mine but no ones picking up the phone or replying to emails
Original post by SelwanBadawy
i’m doing econ too!!!! are you guys on the group chats??have you received ur registration emails?? there’s an error with mine but no ones picking up the phone or replying to emails

Honestly I can’t seem to find any info about anything! Are there any group chats going? I still need to finish section 2 of the registration, bit weird that they arnt responding to your emails, you’d of thought they’d be trying to get that sorted ASAP!
Reply 4
I graduated from city econ recently. Happy to answer any Qs you guys might have
Original post by Missvo59

were you living in student halls or at home?
Reply 6
were you living in student halls or at home?

I lived at home, the commute wasnt bad for me
Reply 7

Heyy most of the groupchats are on facebook, so its worth having a look at that
Reply 8

How easy was it to get a job after graduation and did u apply for any spring weeks?
Thanks in advance!
Reply 9
Original post by smashit123
How easy was it to get a job after graduation and did u apply for any spring weeks?
Thanks in advance!

I would really recommend a placement year but if you dont want to do a 4 year course then make sure to actively apply for summer internships every year you’re at uni (even first year!!). Theres a micro-placement programme that is set up by City that you can do in your 2nd year.
I know people on my course who still havent found grad roles because they didnt look properly or take grad schemes seriously at the start of 3rd year. Its not the end of the world if you dont find a grad role by the time you graduate but once you finish your exams in summer you should spend most of your days looking for work make it easier for you.

To answer your question, its only easy to find graduate roles if you tailor your CV and cover letter to each role and spend many hours researching the firm. A generic CV wont cut it
I would really recommend a placement year but if you dont want to do a 4 year course then make sure to actively apply for summer internships every year you’re at uni (even first year!!). Theres a micro-placement programme that is set up by City that you can do in your 2nd year.
I know people on my course who still havent found grad roles because they didnt look properly or take grad schemes seriously at the start of 3rd year. Its not the end of the world if you dont find a grad role by the time you graduate but once you finish your exams in summer you should spend most of your days looking for work make it easier for you.

To answer your question, its only easy to find graduate roles if you tailor your CV and cover letter to each role and spend many hours researching the firm. A generic CV wont cut it

Yhh I'm not too keen on doing a placement year but i do want to try and do as many spring weeks as I can, even in first year. The only thing I'm worried about is that my A-Level grades ABB which I'm not sure is good enough and I| don't have any uni grades yet to back me up either. Do you have any advice regarding this?
Thanks so much x
In all honesty a spring week applicant from City wouldn't be considered at all by any off the BBs, it's nowhere close to even a semi-target. Is there anyway you could transfer onto a course at Cass? as that is a semi-target and would give you a chance. I know technically they're the same university but in employers eyes they aren't especially in finance.
Original post by fuhnance
In all honesty a spring week applicant from City wouldn't be considered at all by any off the BBs, it's nowhere close to even a semi-target. Is there anyway you could transfer onto a course at Cass? as that is a semi-target and would give you a chance. I know technically they're the same university but in employers eyes they aren't especially in finance.

Yes, I agree I am currently in the process of transferring to Banking and International Finance at cass. I'm just waiting to tell me they've done it.
Do u think my A-Level grades (ABB) would limit me?
Thanks for your reply x
Yhh I'm not too keen on doing a placement year but i do want to try and do as many spring weeks as I can, even in first year. The only thing I'm worried about is that my A-Level grades ABB which I'm not sure is good enough and I| don't have any uni grades yet to back me up either. Do you have any advice regarding this?
Thanks so much x

Your A level grades are good! Thats over the 112 ucas points requirement that most companies will ask for. At the end of the day, you need a good application to get you through the door to interviews / insight days. I would focus more on internships because you get to have practical experience, i havent done any insight days so cant advise you there.

You shouldnt be worried about your grades stopping you, just focus on showing off your skills in your applications.
Make sure you’re not applying to just every internship, make sure it relates to your degree and what job you want when you graduate
Your A level grades are good! Thats over the 112 ucas points requirement that most companies will ask for. At the end of the day, you need a good application to get you through the door to interviews / insight days. I would focus more on internships because you get to have practical experience, i havent done any insight days so cant advise you there.

You shouldnt be worried about your grades stopping you, just focus on showing off your skills in your applications.
Make sure you’re not applying to just every internship, make sure it relates to your degree and what job you want when you graduate

Thanks for your help i'll defo look into that more

I was just wondering about Maths on the City course, I really enjoy it and was just curious about how much of it there is throughout the course.
Yes, I agree I am currently in the process of transferring to Banking and International Finance at cass. I'm just waiting to tell me they've done it.
Do u think my A-Level grades (ABB) would limit me?
Thanks for your reply x

I really can’t imagine that anyone will pay too much attention to A Levels at all this year, it will be fresh in employers minds, I really can’t envisage anyone denying you based on your A Levels. Although I don’t really know anything so I could be wrong of course.
Original post by UpTheLads123
I was just wondering about Maths on the City course, I really enjoy it and was just curious about how much of it there is throughout the course.

About half of your 1st year course is math or stats. Theres 2 modules of math and there are 2 statistics (data analysis modules). Then in 2nd year its only 2 modules of stats and no math (if you didnt do a level they will make you do an extra math module in 2nd yr). 3rd year has 1 Econometrics modules which is basically statistics advanced. Theres also a chance to choose math electives in 2 or 3rd year but I didnt choose those since we did a lot of math in my first 2 years.

The maths and stats in 1st should be pretty basic if you did A level math, its basically a repeat of c1/c2/s1. If you havent done A level math before, maybe spend the next few weeks learning about integration & differentiation and the different statistical distributions (poisson, binomial etc)
About half of your 1st year course is math or stats. Theres 2 modules of math and there are 2 statistics (data analysis modules). Then in 2nd year its only 2 modules of stats and no math (if you didnt do a level they will make you do an extra math module in 2nd yr). 3rd year has 1 Econometrics modules which is basically statistics advanced. Theres also a chance to choose math electives in 2 or 3rd year but I didnt choose those since we did a lot of math in my first 2 years.

The maths and stats in 1st should be pretty basic if you did A level math, its basically a repeat of c1/c2/s1. If you havent done A level math before, maybe spend the next few weeks learning about integration & differentiation and the different statistical distributions (poisson, binomial etc)

Thanks for the detailed response, did you find the maths boring in first year seeing as you’d done it all before? It’s something I’m slightly worried about.
Original post by UpTheLads123
Thanks for the detailed response, did you find the maths boring in first year seeing as you’d done it all before? It’s something I’m slightly worried about.

I didnt think it was boring esp because I was pretty familiar with it. I had some decent lecturer that gave us loads of resources to practice from so it made revision for stats or maths pretty easy for me

Quick Reply