?
Report 1 month ago
No.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. Just like at alltimes in history, it is constantly changing and generally for the better.
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Elaborate on identity?
Gundabad(good)
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mad_Dog_Graveson)
Title
The Tories support a globalised Britain. You should too.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gundabad(good))
The Tories support a globalised Britain. You should too.
Join the army.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nah, it's still a nation of slobs with painfully hard to understand accents.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mad_Dog_Graveson)
Title
I don't think it's safe to discuss this openly.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No, because it never had one to begin with. We have no national pride, no national belief, and more importantly, no national respect. Like Napp said above, a nation of slobs.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm amused at how many people have interpreted the question to mean "Do you like Britain? " :mmm:

In this age of identity politics and Brexit we seem to have competing ideas for a national identity and how we ought to look to the rest of the world. What most people in that discourse perhaps don't realise is that the rest of the world are already seeing us in a certain way and there's only so much that can be done to change that.
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 month ago
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
I'm amused at how many people have interpreted the question to mean "Do you like Britain? " :mmm:

In this age of identity politics and Brexit we seem to have competing ideas for a national identity and how we ought to look to the rest of the world. What most people in that discourse perhaps don't realise is that the rest of the world are already seeing us in a certain way and there's also so much that can be done to change that.
The rest of the world see us as a laughing stock.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by imlikeahermit)
Citation Needed.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are assuming there is a single identity. I would argue that Scotland and its culture and identity are very different from England, especially the south and London.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Spend time outside the UK, and you will find this to be the case. I do my very best to avoid being identified as British (or just English) when abroad. No clothing which identifies me as such, speak the local language as much as possible, for example. In a museum or art gallery if they offer me a leaflet or commentary I ask for French.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Citation Needed.
Voting ourselves out of the biggest trading bloc in the world made us a total laughing stock. Add to that our ‘reputation’ abroad. The rest of the world sees us as lazy and work shy. There are so many examples it’s not worth citing.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Voting ourselves out of the biggest trading bloc in the world made us a total laughing stock. Add to that our ‘reputation’ abroad. The rest of the world sees us as lazy and work shy. There are so many examples it’s not worth citing.
Then it seems we disagree. Whilst I may sympathise with your claims, they will remain claims until evidence is provided to support them. Global attitudes are a big thing to speculate about, for me at least.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Then it seems we disagree. Whilst I may sympathise with your claims, they will remain claims until evidence is provided to support them. Global attitudes are a big thing to speculate about, for me at least.
Just do a quick google of ‘Britain is a laughing stock.’ Its not hard! Plenty for you to feast your eyes on!
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just do a quick google of ‘Britain is a laughing stock.’ Its not hard! Plenty for you to feast your eyes on!
Except I haven't made any claims about it - you have. The burden of proof is not on me.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No.
I don't see the USA, Brazil, Belarus, China, Russia or India laughing at the moment.
Nor any of the EU member states.

Yes, Britain does have a negative reputation as regards the unrestrained binge drinking culture amongst some young delinquents who misbehave abroad.
Plus an inefficient welfare state that costs the taxpayer hundreds of billions of pounds a year.
But millions of foreign nationals still annually seek to visit Britain as tourists, study as international students, claim asylum, invest in a UK business/property or apply for British citizenship.
imlikeahermit
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
No.
I don't see the USA, Brazil, Belarus, China, Russia or India laughing at the moment.
Nor any of the EU member states.

Yes, Britain does have a negative reputation as regards the unrestrained binge drinking culture amongst some young delinquents who misbehave abroad.
Plus an inefficient welfare state that costs the taxpayer hundreds of billions of pounds a year.
But millions of foreign nationals still annually seek to visit Britain as tourists, study as international students, claim asylum, invest in a UK business/property or apply for British citizenship.
Funnily enough all of your last part will become irrelevant once we leave the EU and this place turns into a third world shithole.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (79)
21.7%
No (285)
78.3%

Watched Threads