Rewriting A levels in June instead of Oct.

Watch
ColtTheWolf
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hey, I'm taking a gap year, so wouldn't it be more sensible just to write my exams in June and ensure I get As and A*s?

I don't see the incentive to write in October.

Edit: Oh. My school put me forward to do chem in Oct, but not psych too.

Would it look weird doing chem in oct and psych in June?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by ColtTheWolf)
Hey, I'm taking a gap year, so wouldn't it be more sensible just to write my exams in June and ensure I get As and A*s?

I don't see the incentive to write in October.

Edit: Oh. My school put me forward to do chem in Oct, but not psych too.

Would it look weird doing chem in oct and psych in June?
In a word, yes it would be more sensible if you're taking a gap year that you sit the exams at the end.

It wouldn't look weird in the slightest.

There also isn't anything stopping you taking them in both October and the Summer.
ColtTheWolf
Rep:
?
(Original post by 04MR17)
In a word, yes it would be more sensible if you're taking a gap year that you sit the exams at the end.

It wouldn't look weird in the slightest.

There also isn't anything stopping you taking them in both October and the Summer.
Wouldn't I have to declare I did them in Oct too? So if I miss an A, won't unis see it like doing three rewrites?
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Wouldn't I have to declare I did them in Oct too? So if I miss an A, won't unis see it like doing three rewrites?
Unless you're applying to a very competitive course that won't impact you though. What do you want to study at uni? The Autumn series also isn't a resit because you didn't sit the exams in the first place - and no universities have said they regard it as one as far as I know.
ColtTheWolf
Rep:
?
Unless you're applying to a very competitive course that won't impact you though. What do you want to study at uni? The Autumn series also isn't a resit because you didn't sit the exams in the first place - and no universities have said they regard it as one as far as I know.
I'm looking to study medicine. Luckily, there are many that do accept resits!
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I'm looking to study medicine. Luckily, there are many that do accept resits!
I was worried you'd say that.
Yes there are many that do, and for those that don't - the October series does not count as a resit. :nah:
I'm not quite sure if the Autumn series would be inputted into UCAS as a separate grade since its purpose is to replace the summer one, PQ do you know this? :holmes:
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Yes there are many that do, and for those that don't - the October series does not count as a resit. :nah:
I'm not quite sure if the Autumn series would be inputted into UCAS as a separate grade since its purpose is to replace the summer one, PQ do you know this? :holmes:
Given that the deadline for medicine is before the autumn exam results will be available then applicants need to list:
Summer qualifications and grades awarded
AND
Autumn exam qualifications as a pending grade.

Universities understand what this means and know not to treat this as a resit.

If an applicant decides to sit the exams again following the autumn results then they would need to notify UCAS of the details of that and inform their universities.

Some candidates won’t have the option of autumn exams (some parts of the UK and some international qualifications or due to disruption from local lockdowns or quarantine/isolation rules making it impossible for them to attend). That would need to be explained in the reference (as would a large difference between grades awarded in the summer and predicted grades for the autumn exams) - or sent to universities after applying by the referee/centre if the circumstances prevented the sitting of exams
ColtTheWolf
Rep:
?
I did a bunch more research and found a few who'd even consider me with June rewrites too, so that's good!

This has truly been out of my control, I'm sure unis will understand that this global pandemic has interrupted my studies.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (57)
65.52%
I don't have everything I need (30)
34.48%

Watched Threads