WestLdnStudent
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi there guys!
Im planning to get a laptop for when I start uni and my course is msci Environmental geoscience with 1 year industry (at rhul). First time starting uni, was wandering if the course will require a laptop with rather high processing needs or a simple laptop is fine? I want to get a good laptop that will last my course. Anyone that studies or studied environmental geoscience or any similar course (earth sciences, geology, etc), did you need a powerful laptop or would you prefer a simpler one? Does these type of courses need power as I read somewhere that you use 3D modelling softwares and we evaluate alot of data.

Also what type of budget should I set to get a laptop? Should I go cheaper ~£500-£600 or more expensive £1000. I dont want to get a macbook of any sorts btw. I prefer windows. Planning to get a lenovo thinkpad e14.

Looking forward for any advice. Thanks
Last edited by WestLdnStudent; 2 months ago
tuquid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I would definitely recommend getting a more high end laptop with more processing power as you will at the least be learning how to use a GIS software (making maps basically) and that can take a lot out of your PC. I myself try to use Uni PCs as often as I can and use a PC at home as Erdas Imagine/ArcGIS are fairly intensive programmes, and use a really cheap budget laptop just for writing essays in word. I'm doing environmental science at kingston btw if it helps. I see you're also from West ldn so we're probably pretty close to each other!
WestLdnStudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by tuquid)
I would definitely recommend getting a more high end laptop with more processing power as you will at the least be learning how to use a GIS software (making maps basically) and that can take a lot out of your PC. I myself try to use Uni PCs as often as I can and use a PC at home as Erdas Imagine/ArcGIS are fairly intensive programmes, and use a really cheap budget laptop just for writing essays in word. I'm doing environmental science at kingston btw if it helps. I see you're also from West ldn so we're probably pretty close to each other!
Thank you for this information! I will definitely try investing in a good laptop then. Dont really have a good PC at home so I will try just getting a high end laptop as due to corona, I will probably be spending less time in uni.

Im near northolt haha 🤟
tuquid
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by WestLdnStudent)
Thank you for this information! I will definitely try investing in a good laptop then. Dont really have a good PC at home so I will try just getting a high end laptop as due to corona, I will probably be spending less time in uni.

Im near northolt haha 🤟
no problem, it's better to spend the money now than regret it later
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi there guys!
Im planning to get a laptop for when I start uni and my course is msci Environmental geoscience with 1 year industry (at rhul). First time starting uni, was wandering if the course will require a laptop with rather high processing needs or a simple laptop is fine? I want to get a good laptop that will last my course. Anyone that studies or studied environmental geoscience or any similar course (earth sciences, geology, etc), did you need a powerful laptop or would you prefer a simpler one? Does these type of courses need power as I read somewhere that you use 3D modelling softwares and we evaluate alot of data.

Also what type of budget should I set to get a laptop? Should I go cheaper ~£500-£600 or more expensive £1000. I dont want to get a macbook of any sorts btw. I prefer windows. I want to preferably get the HP Zbook 15u G6 but is that an overkill?

Looking forward for any advice. Thanks
Has your university given you any guidance on this? I can't think of any part of my Earth Sciences degree where I really needed a high-end laptop since any computationally expensive software you'll need will be on university computers anyway. If you want a high-end laptop for personal reasons then by all means go ahead (but in that case you shouldn't get a workstation laptop like the one you've linked because you pay a price premium for 'professional' hardware), but there's no need to do this for your course unless you've been specifically told otherwise - spending an extra £500 on a laptop just to avoid having to go to the computing lab a few times isn't necessary!
Last edited by Plagioclase; 3 months ago
WestLdnStudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Has your university given you any guidance on this? I can't think of any part of my Earth Sciences degree where I really needed a high-end laptop since any computationally expensive software you'll need will be on university computers anyway. If you want a high-end laptop for personal reasons then by all means go ahead (but in that case you shouldn't get a workstation laptop like the one you've linked because you pay a price premium for 'professional' hardware), but there's no need to do this for your course unless you've been specifically told otherwise - spending an extra £500 on a laptop just to avoid having to go to the computing lab a few times isn't necessary!
The thing is, because of corona, im gunna be in uni way less. I been told most of my lectures and classes will be online and only need to come for practicals. So just was thinking if I should just get something powerful so I dont face any problems. I may tbh lower my budget to around 800 and get a thinkpad lenovo.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
The thing is, because of corona, im gunna be in uni way less. I been told most of my lectures and classes will be online and only need to come for practicals. So just was thinking if I should just get something powerful so I dont face any problems. I may tbh lower my budget to around 800 and get a thinkpad lenovo.
Unless your course has given you specific specifications for a laptop, there isn't going to be an expectation that you have a laptop capable of running this software, which means that your university will have to make these computing resources readily accessible to everyone. Also, I'm not familiar with the course you're applying for but you're probably overestimating how much your course will rely on computationally intensive software. Again, this is not to tell you that you shouldn't get a better laptop - there are plenty of advantages of having a faster machine. I'm just suggesting that spending hundreds of pounds for the sole purpose of avoiding having to drag yourself to the computing lab for a few modules is a questionable decision. And again, if you are going to spend more on a laptop, you will probably get more bang for your buck by getting a consumer laptop rather than a professional laptop/workstation.
WestLdnStudent
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
Unless your course has given you specific specifications for a laptop, there isn't going to be an expectation that you have a laptop capable of running this software, which means that your university will have to make these computing resources readily accessible to everyone. Also, I'm not familiar with the course you're applying for but you're probably overestimating how much your course will rely on computationally intensive software. Again, this is not to tell you that you shouldn't get a better laptop - there are plenty of advantages of having a faster machine. I'm just suggesting that spending hundreds of pounds for the sole purpose of avoiding having to drag yourself to the computing lab for a few modules is a questionable decision. And again, if you are going to spend more on a laptop, you will probably get more bang for your buck by getting a consumer laptop rather than a professional laptop/workstation.
Understood, thanks for the information. I had a call from my uni yesterday and asked about it. I may just opt in to get an ipad or a slim laptop that I can make my notes on easily.
WestLdnStudent
Rep:
?
Thanks. This helped alot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (631)
33.6%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (790)
42.07%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (373)
19.86%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.47%

Watched Threads