I have failed foundation year of uni. It's now August. How do I stay in

Watch
Unknown7.0
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I know why I have failed. However they said I have been 'excluded' from next year. Is there any way I can carry on with the course or retake? If not then is there anyway I can reapply in the same uni through UCAS and get in this year? Is it also possible for me to apply somewhere else for the same course and get in this year?
JMercedes
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Maybe ask your current uni if you are allowed to retake the modules or if theyl allow you to transfer onto another course at your uni. If not that maybe try clearing to find if a uni could accept you?
l2bunny
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Unknown7.0)
I know why I have failed. However they said I have been 'excluded' from next year. Is there any way I can carry on with the course or retake? If not then is there anyway I can reapply in the same uni through UCAS and get in this year? Is it also possible for me to apply somewhere else for the same course and get in this year?
why did you fail...only asking as i want to avoid it next year?
Unknown7.0
Rep:
?
(Original post by l2bunny)
why did you fail...only asking as i want to avoid it next year?
I do a sciency subject and didn't do the practical reports as I thought I could still pass without them. Without these you cannot pass to the first year.
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Best to talk to your Uni about this. Unis have different policies, some are more lenient than others, some just want the money and will reaccept most people, others won't. A lot only reaccept with extenuating circumstances.

Also to be brutally honest... if you fail foundation yr do you really even think you can pass 3rd yr or even 2nd ? esp in a STEMs degree. Foundation and first yr are a joke, ''Without these you cannot pass to the first year. '' you should have known this, come on, most science degrees have a practical side, you HAVE to pass, to pass the module, next time don't be so silly, if you even have a next time.
Last edited by rimstone; 3 months ago
beyond21
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
i dunno why ppl still doing foundation year. Did you not do A-level/BTEC. Even with low grade you can still get into first year at most universities or even 2 A-level.
Unknown7.0
Rep:
?
(Original post by beyond21)
i dunno why ppl still doing foundation year. Did you not do A-level/BTEC. Even with low grade you can still get into first year at most universities or even 2 A-level.
Yes I did A levels. chem, bio and maths. I got D, E, D as my grades hence done foundation. Do you think I could still apply for clearing with my a level grades to subjects and get in this academic year
Last edited by Unknown7.0; 3 months ago
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You will need to talk to your uni about the different options available.

I do a sciency subject and didn't do the practical reports as I thought I could still pass without them. Without these you cannot pass to the first year.
This is not a good sign to be brutally honest.
Unknown7.0
Rep:
?
(Original post by RV3112)
You will need to talk to your uni about the different options available.

This is not a good sign to be brutally honest.
Who exactly in my uni DO I talk to
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Who exactly in my uni DO I talk to
Your personal tutor/academic mentor is your best first point of contact. Otherwise, the Programme Director. If you have no luck with either, your next point of contact should be the SU.
MedicWil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Translation:
"I didn't do some of the work required of me and thought I could cruise through university doing whatever I felt like and get my degree"

Tough luck, by the looks of your A-Level grades you probably did the same in college. Wake up and realise that you have to take responsibility for your own actions and do what is expected of you.

If you apply through clearing you probably won't be able to get a place as there are a lot of people with high grades this year. Whatever university you apply to, they will ask your (now former) university why you failed your foundation year and look very badly upon that.

If you contact your university then you'll most likely need to have some extenuating/mitigating circumstances and have good grades for the work you did do to even consider accepting you back to redo your foundation year.

Also you need to contact either the admissions team or, preferably, the head of department to see what they say
Last edited by MedicWil; 3 months ago
CrownCopyright
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Apply for mitigating circumstances
Eccentric Goatie
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
How do you fail foundation year?!
Unknown7.0
Rep:
?
(Original post by MedicWil)
Translation:
"I didn't do some of the work required of me and thought I could cruise through university doing whatever I felt like and get my degree"

Tough luck, by the looks of your A-Level grades you probably did the same in college. Wake up and realise that you have to take responsibility for your own actions and do what is expected of you.

If you apply through clearing you probably won't be able to get a place as there are a lot of people with high grades this year. Whatever university you apply to, they will ask your (now former) university why you failed your foundation year and look very badly upon that.

If you contact your university then you'll most likely need to have some extenuating/mitigating circumstances and have good grades for the work you did do to even consider accepting you back to redo your foundation year.

Also you need to contact either the admissions team or, preferably, the head of department to see what they say
Is the admissions team the same as the clearing team?
Unknown7.0
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eccentric Goatie)
How do you fail foundation year?!
It's because I thought since I did well on the exams the practical report weren't needed
beyond21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes I did A levels. chem, bio and maths. I got D, E, D as my grades hence done foundation. Do you think I could still apply for clearing with my a level grades to subjects and get in this academic year
of course, you can. you still gained some credits from modules in foundation year /ucas point(A-level) . Clearing allow students to enter without meeting the entry requirement(just to fill those empty spaces ) so the admission team will email a course tutor to discuss your case and you basically say you have done a-level and foundation year although didn't pass but have enough knowledge for first-year entry. Make sure to show a transcript from the foundation year and A-level as evidence. You can probably get into the first year in hull, york st john and some other lower-ranking unis. Just email all of them as the majority will have clearing. Just make sure to explain your reasoning and they will be happy to accept you, foundation year is kinda pointless it's just like repeating A-level , so you better off going into the first year in other University.
Last edited by beyond21; 3 months ago
Unknown7.0
Rep:
?
of course, you can. you still gained some credits from modules in foundation year /ucas point(A-level) . Clearing allow students to enter without meeting the entry requirement(just to fill those empty spaces ) so the admission team will email a course tutor to discuss your case and you basically say you have done a-level and foundation year although didn't pass but have enough knowledge for first-year entry. Make sure to show a transcript from the foundation year and A-level as evidence. You can probably get into the first year in hull, york st john and some other lower-ranking unis. Just email all of them as the majority will have clearing. Just make sure to explain your reasoning and they will be happy to accept you, foundation year is kinda pointless it's just like repeating A-level , so you better off going into the first year in other University.
Thanks alot. What do you mean by transcript. Where do I get these for a levels as it was an entire year ago and I didn't receive any emails for a levels specifically
Last edited by Unknown7.0; 3 months ago
beyond21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thanks alot. What do you mean by transcript. Where do I get these for a levels as it was an entire year ago and I didn't receive any emails
you should be able to find them online through your uni results. You can request an official transcript from Uni student service and they will email you one. the transcript should show the credit you earned and the grade. I don't think you would need a-level transcript , just the results itself. But uni transcript is definitely needed.
Last edited by beyond21; 3 months ago
Unknown7.0
Rep:
?
you should be able to find them online through your uni results. You can request an official transcript from Uni student service and they will email you one. the transcript should show the credit you earned and the grade. I don't think you would need a-level transcript , just the results itself. But uni transcript is definitely needed.
I see. Thank you. I will try. Is it OK I keep you updated
Unknown7.0
Rep:
?
After I send them everything. Do I have to make a new UCAS account as my last one was used when I was in year 13. If so would I be able to before the start of this academic year or do I need some vital information which I don't have
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (538)
33.96%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (651)
41.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (322)
20.33%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (73)
4.61%

Watched Threads