SD449
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi All

Really Noob question here from a 35 year old Mature Student.

So having not studied for going on 20 years I am not sure what I will need for my first day.

I have an iPad Pro with a keyboard case and was thinking of getting the Apple Pencil so I could also use it for taking notes.

Failing this I assume pen and notebook would suffice and a bag to put it in.

Is there anything else I will need apart from a PC/Laptop of some description for the software that I can't use on my iPad?
deep_learning
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by SD449)
Hi All

Really Noob question here from a 35 year old Mature Student.

So having not studied for going on 20 years I am not sure what I will need for my first day.

I have an iPad Pro with a keyboard case and was thinking of getting the Apple Pencil so I could also use it for taking notes.

Failing this I assume pen and notebook would suffice and a bag to put it in.

Is there anything else I will need apart from a PC/Laptop of some description for the software that I can't use on my iPad?
Apart from a laptop and a notebook/iPad, I think your good to go. You posted this in the Computer Science forum, so I am assuming you might be studying within a Computer Science related degree? If so, think about particular IDE's that you might want to work with. So, there are a range of options to choose from as a student: Eclipse, IntelliJ, VSCode. Maybe some text editors: SublimeText, Atom, Vim, VSCode?
Other than that, a typical Microsoft Package including all the basics. Or, if you prefer Apple softwares, Pages, Numbers and etc.

Plus, in my experience this past year doing a postgraduate course. Using an 'Apple Pencil' can become quite tricky while taking heavy notes during lectures. My honest opinion from experience is to use your laptop during lectures for taking notes is more efficient. You can use an Apple Pencil for mathematical notations, or diagrams and etc. It's down to preference really.
Undecided+Unsure
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by MisterFortnite)
Apart from a laptop and a notebook/iPad, I think your good to go. You posted this in the Computer Science forum, so I am assuming you might be studying within a Computer Science related degree? If so, think about particular IDE's that you might want to work with. So, there are a range of options to choose from as a student: Eclipse, IntelliJ, VSCode. Maybe some text editors: SublimeText, Atom, Vim, VSCode?
Other than that, a typical Microsoft Package including all the basics. Or, if you prefer Apple softwares, Pages, Numbers and etc.

Plus, in my experience this past year doing a postgraduate course. Using an 'Apple Pencil' can become quite tricky while taking heavy notes during lectures. My honest opinion from experience is to use your laptop during lectures for taking notes is more efficient. You can use an Apple Pencil for mathematical notations, or diagrams and etc. It's down to preference really.
Hi
I'm a new undergrad whos going to be starting a Computer Science degree at Manchester in September and I was wondering if you could offer any advice on what laptop to get or if to get a desktop, what do you recommend ?
deep_learning
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Undecided+Unsure)
Hi
I'm a new undergrad whos going to be starting a Computer Science degree at Manchester in September and I was wondering if you could offer any advice on what laptop to get or if to get a desktop, what do you recommend ?
You could invest in a desktop, or a laptop. Depends which one fits your purpose, lifestyle and etc. In terms of buying the actual laptop -
Instead of writing a huge paragraph about which laptop or specs you should consider, I will instead re-direct you to a similar and previously asked question with tons of good replies. The one advice in Computer Science you will hear repeatedly is, "you don't have to always re-invent the wheel". Meaning, reusing code can be very beneficial and save lots of time. Just applying that to this. Good luck with your course!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4682270
Last edited by deep_learning; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
30.49%
No - I have already returned home (21)
12.8%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (37)
22.56%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (15)
9.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25%

Watched Threads