emmamihaylova
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello so I am starting the second year of IGCSE and it is pretty obvious I will fail or get a very low score at foreign language. I go to a private school so repeating the year would be a giganting waste of money. Could I get into a good IB school even with a failed foreign language at IGCSE (and passed science, math, english and lit, ict and business) and if so what would happen like would I continue studying the language at (higher?) level in Ib although I failed the lower or?
theJoyfulGeek
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by emmamihaylova)
Hello so I am starting the second year of IGCSE and it is pretty obvious I will fail or get a very low score at foreign language. I go to a private school so repeating the year would be a giganting waste of money. Could I get into a good IB school even with a failed foreign language at IGCSE (and passed science, math, english and lit, ict and business) and if so what would happen like would I continue studying the language at (higher?) level in Ib although I failed the lower or?
If you're going to fail the IGCSE, then doing a language at higher level at IB probably isn't the best idea? IB higher is a lot like A level; people doing languages can speak them just as well as people doing the language A level (my school offers A levels only, but I have several friends who go to schools offering IB).

If you think you're going to fail the language, you could always get tutoring? You don't have to retake the whole year due to one failed GCSE - you can retake the single GCSE or not fail it in the first place? You have a year left - that's more than enough time to improve!

However, many schools (especially good IB ones) won't select students who have failed GCSEs - do you mean fail as in get a U, or fail as in get a 7? Are you an insane perfectionist like some people in private school (people who view an 8 as a fail :rolleyes:), or are you actually going to get a U/1/2 :eek:? Have you tried past papers - you're probably a lot better than you think!

Which language is it? I did three languages (Spanish, Italian, German) at IGCSE (getting two A*s and a 9) - if it's one of those or French I could maybe help?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (53)
21.46%
No (194)
78.54%

Watched Threads