Do I have a good chance of getting into Computer Science at Cambridge university?

Watch
KevinIRoman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
! I really want to get into Computer Science at Cambridge University. I got my GCSE results today which were as follow:
Maths: 9
Computer Science: 9
Combined Science: 98
History: 7
Religious Studies: 7
German: 7
Economics: 7
English Literature: 6
English Language: 6
Are these enough to give me a good chance into getting a place? Or should I redo some subjects in November.

Also, I have to choose my A Levels tomorrow. I was thinking of Maths, Further Maths, and Computer Science. Will I still have a good chance of getting into Cambridge with these three subjects, or should I also do Physics?

Thank you in advance!
Fredericks1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by KevinIRoman)
! I really want to get into Computer Science at Cambridge University. I got my GCSE results today which were as follow:
Maths: 9
Computer Science: 9
Combined Science: 98
History: 7
Religious Studies: 7
German: 7
Economics: 7
English Literature: 6
English Language: 6
Are these enough to give me a good chance into getting a place? Or should I redo some subjects in November.

Also, I have to choose my A Levels tomorrow. I was thinking of Maths, Further Maths, and Computer Science. Will I still have a good chance of getting into Cambridge with these three subjects, or should I also do Physics?

Thank you in advance!
Hi KevinlRoman

Your GCSE scores are not ideal (only 4 A*'s), If you could redo some subjects in November and get maybe ~4 more A*'s that could be better but I'm not too sure how Oxbridge view resits.

And yes, you should really do Physics (or Chemistry) as most competitive applicants will be applying with at least 4 A-Levels

Please see/ask on the thread below:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6552822

Best of luck!
briteeshbro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
I don't really agree with the user above. Cambridge aren't that bothered with GCSE's you have all A*s in CompsSci, Maths and Science and those are the only ones they would be concerned with so in terms of GCSE's I'm sure you'll be perfectly fine. The put a lot more weighting on A level and entrance exam results, however, so you just need to make sure you perform well in these.
On the other hand, Oxford take GCSE's into consideration quite a bit more than Cambridge. The average GCSE's they accept students with are 10A*s (apparently)
sweeneyrod
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Fredericks1)
Hi KevinlRoman

Your GCSE scores are not ideal (only 4 A*'s), If you could redo some subjects in November and get maybe ~4 more A*'s that could be better but I'm not too sure how Oxbridge view resits.

And yes, you should really do Physics (or Chemistry) as most competitive applicants will be applying with at least 4 A-Levels

Please see/ask on the thread below:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6552822

Best of luck!
Yeah, no, ignore this. Your GCSE's will be lower than average but they're certainly not an insurmountable barrier, or indeed much of a barrier at all provided the rest of your application is strong. In a normal year I would say doing resits would be completely pointless. This year it's a bit different; if you think you could do considerably better in some subjects by doing actual exams you might want to resit, but it should be more because you want GCSE's that reflect your ability than because you think it will help you with Cambridge.

For A-levels, 3 subjects including FM and either Physics or CS is completely fine. If you do CS and not Physics you might want to check with individual college admissions tutors what they think; some of them have a stronger preference for Physics but it's not a big thing. You could also consider taking all four subjects and dropping one after year 12.
KevinIRoman
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by sweeneyrod)
Yeah, no, ignore this. Your GCSE's will be lower than average but they're certainly not an insurmountable barrier, or indeed much of a barrier at all provided the rest of your application is strong. In a normal year I would say doing resits would be completely pointless. This year it's a bit different; if you think you could do considerably better in some subjects by doing actual exams you might want to resit, but it should be more because you want GCSE's that reflect your ability than because you think it will help you with Cambridge.

For A-levels, 3 subjects including FM and either Physics or CS is completely fine. If you do CS and not Physics you might want to check with individual college admissions tutors what they think; some of them have a stronger preference for Physics but it's not a big thing. You could also consider taking all four subjects and dropping one after year 12.
Thank you all very much for your responses! I really appreciate it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads