Ailurophile03
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Do all chromosome (22 except for the gametes) have the same DNA, or do they vary, say for instance they all have some genes for the eye color or is it just say chromosome number 2 with it. Another question is that, i had learned previously that the genetic information in all body cells are same its just that some genes are turned on and off in each cell. Now im confused whether all chromosome have same genetic material or not
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
All cells have the same DNA yes. Each chromosome doesn't just have the same genes though. There are different sizes and code for different aspects.
lhh2003
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Each chromosome has its own genes. Thats not to say that genes of different chromosomes can't combine to give a specific, polygenic trait.
OxFossil
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
The earlier posters are right.

To put it another way, every cell has the same DNA in it. But the DNA is divided up between the chromosomes in the cell so that each chromosome has a different combination of genes. Some will only be found on chromosome 3, for instance, others only on chromosome 6 etc. The difference between different tissues is that the cells in each have different genes switched on or off eg a salivary gland cell might have all its genes for saliva production turned on, but a skin cell probably won't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.04%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (89)
28.62%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (117)
37.62%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (41)
13.18%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.54%

Watched Threads