Changing from EU to UK's driving license

Watch
PTMalewski
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello,

I gather that a driving license from another country becomes invalid after a year of living in the UK. Does the international driving license last any longer?

Also, are there any special courses a EU license holder would to get it 'coverted' to UK's license? Is it any shorter/easier way of getting the UK's license, or is it the same for everyone, no matter have one had any license or not?
TheDE
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by PTMalewski)
Hello,

I gather that a driving license from another country becomes invalid after a year of living in the UK. Does the international driving license last any longer?

Also, are there any special courses a EU license holder would to get it 'coverted' to UK's license? Is it any shorter/easier way of getting the UK's license, or is it the same for everyone, no matter have one had any license or not?
Yes there is a special way for this, it involves applying for a provisional licence, doing a theory test and then doing a practical driving test 😁
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheDE)
Yes there is a special way for this, it involves applying for a provisional licence, doing a theory test and then doing a practical driving test 😁
And I guess I have to do this while my foreign license is still valid?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
And I guess I have to do this while my foreign license is still valid?
Im not sure but I think if you have a foreign drivers license you have 12 months to drive in the UK on that, but you must pass a UK test in that time frame, look on gov.uk
--
IWMTom ?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hello,

Not sure how Brexit will affect this, but an EU licence is currently valid here until you're 70. It doesn't expire after a year.

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-...european-union
TheDE
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Not sure how Brexit will affect this, but an EU licence is currently valid here until you're 70. It doesn't expire after a year.

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-...european-union
I can't say anything except watch this space
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by TheDE)
I can't say anything except watch this space
Applies to everything really.. no one has a bloody clue what's going on :laugh:
TheDE
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
They haven't made an agreement about the post Brexit situation yet, but yeah if you want a full conversion of the licence then the only way to do it is to apply for a provisional and pass a UK driving test. I understand that sometimes this will help lower the costs of car insurance.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by TheDE)
They haven't made an agreement about the post Brexit situation yet, but yeah if you want a full conversion of the licence then the only way to do it is to apply for a provisional and pass a UK driving test. I understand that sometimes this will help lower the costs of car insurance.
Forgive my ignorance, but I was under the impression that EU nationals resident in the UK could exchange the driving licence from their home country for a UK one without passing an additional test?
TheDE
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Forgive my ignorance, but I was under the impression that EU nationals resident in the UK could exchange the driving licence from their home country for a UK one without passing an additional test?
Nope you are completely right in fact, you can exchange an EU licence! I keep getting stuck in international licence mode but my colleagues remind me all you need is a D1 form! These can be ordered online and are in some large post offices
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by TheDE)
Nope you are completely right in fact, you can exchange an EU licence! I keep getting stuck in international licence mode but my colleagues remind me all you need is a D1 form! These can be ordered online and are in some large post offices
Thanks for clearing that up, much appreciated!
FRS500
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I might be a day or two late but just to clarify for OP and anyone else confused: If you're NON-EU you need to apply for a provisional and sit tests.

If you are EU and resident in the UK (defined as having a permanent address that you've lived at for at least 185 days) then you can still apply to the DVLA for an full licence exchange. You won't need to sit any tests but you will have to surrender your licence when you send off form D1.

You can continue to drive while the application has been sent in. Even if you didn't, you'd be entitled to drive until age 70.

This is still the case for now as we are in the transition period for BREXIT. After 31st December the situation may well change.

Pick up a form D1 from the post office and get on it asap.
PTMalewski
Rep:
?
(Original post by FRS500)
I might be a day or two late but just to clarify for OP and anyone else confused: If you're NON-EU you need to apply for a provisional and sit tests.

If you are EU and resident in the UK (defined as having a permanent address that you've lived at for at least 185 days) then you can still apply to the DVLA for an full licence exchange. You won't need to sit any tests but you will have to surrender your licence when you send off form D1.

You can continue to drive while the application has been sent in. Even if you didn't, you'd be entitled to drive until age 70.

This is still the case for now as we are in the transition period for BREXIT. After 31st December the situation may well change.

Pick up a form D1 from the post office and get on it asap.
Thanks. I don't intend to drive without sitting some time with the British road codex and some lessons taken, but I don't feel like taking exams, especially since they seem to require things rather contrary to what should be done.
Besides, I wish to keep a car abroad and it would be nice to have a license to drive it legally when I pay it a visit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (43)
27.56%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.97%
No I am happy with my choice (88)
56.41%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed