The Student Room Group

I rejected a Russel Group Uni - Mistake?

So long story short, I opted to go to the University of Westminster instead of Queen Mary University of London (Russel Group). Objectively speaking I can see why it would be advantageous to go to qmul as it is a higher ranking and also a Russel Group, I just personally couldn't see myself going there. I prefer so much more about Westminster - the course content, location etc etc. I'm just wondering if this was a bad decision that may hinder my prospects when applying for a masters/job. Thoughts?
Unless you're looking to get into elite law or finance, which you won't be from either of these universities, employers won't care.
Reply 2
Original post by DarthRoar
Unless you're looking to get into elite law or finance, which you won't be from either of these universities, employers won't care.

Alright, thanks
Original post by DarthRoar

arent you the one who said applicants who go to a “better” uni would get a “better” salary? so employers would care? the better employer would care and would rather employ students from higher ranking/“better” unis? a bit contradictory here.
(edited 3 years ago)
no, it really doesn’t matter.

the most important thing when choosing a uni, is choosing somewhere where you know you’ll enjoy. it’s common knowledge that students perform better when they study a degree that they love at a uni they love. if you preferred the course content and uni then you definitely made the right choice! people on here have an obsession with Russell Group unis, but ultimately the most important thing is studying something you love at a place you love!

best of luck for uni! :smile:
let me just say something as certain people can't understand this.

Unless you are going to a tier 1 university. (Oxbridge,icl,ucl,durham and andrews) then employees won't care as every other university is not considered elite level except these.

Queensmary is not a elite level uni in the slightest nor is westminister so either of these unis will not exactly give you the "x factor" to employees so my advice is to just do the course that interests you the most.
Reply 6
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
no, it really doesn’t matter.

the most important thing when choosing a uni, is choosing somewhere where you know you’ll enjoy. it’s common knowledge that students perform better when they study a degree that they love at a uni they love. if you preferred the course content and uni then you definitely made the right choice! people on here have an obsession with Russell Group unis, but ultimately the most important thing is studying something you love at a place you love!

best of luck for uni! :smile:

Thanks so much - this really helped!
Reply 7
Original post by DaLokiooo
let me just say something as certain people can't understand this.

Unless you are going to a tier 1 university. (Oxbridge,icl,ucl,durham and andrews) then employees won't care as every other university is not considered elite level except these.

Queensmary is not a elite level uni in the slightest nor is westminister so either of these unis will not exactly give you the "x factor" to employees so my advice is to just do the course that interests you the most.

True, I know both aren't world-renowned or anything special.
Reply 8
To be honest id say you made the right choice. Undergrad is meant to be about enjoying yourself. As Darthroar said, most employers couldnt give a toss anyway when it comes to these sorts of universities. They might get a chub on for Oxbridge and the like but they more care about the grade you get.
Reply 9
Original post by Napp
To be honest id say you made the right choice. Undergrad is meant to be about enjoying yourself. As Darthroar said, most employers couldnt give a toss anyway when it comes to these sorts of universities. They might get a chub on for Oxbridge and the like but they more care about the grade you get.

True, thank you
Original post by kateb3824
So long story short, I opted to go to the University of Westminster instead of Queen Mary University of London (Russel Group). Objectively speaking I can see why it would be advantageous to go to qmul as it is a higher ranking and also a Russel Group, I just personally couldn't see myself going there. I prefer so much more about Westminster - the course content, location etc etc. I'm just wondering if this was a bad decision that may hinder my prospects when applying for a masters/job. Thoughts?

@kateb3824 You have clearly gone with your true feelings there :smile: If it helps I did the similar. I withdrew after 2 weeks from a Russell Group uni, ended up working for a year before reapplying to Newman University. I have been there 4 years and am very happy as I am about to finish my masters after finishing my degree last year.

There is snobbery around Newman that because it is unknown it is 'less worthy'. But, if you believe in your uni, which it feels like you do :smile:, then you can strive every day to prove that that place is worthy. Then, when you apply for jobs, or future study, you show with all the things you do at University of Westminster why you are good for that role or position.

Wish you all the best in your studies :smile:

Wes- Newman University Ambassador :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Wes - Newman Uni
@kateb3824 You have clearly gone with your true feelings there :smile: If it helps I did the similar. I withdrew after 2 weeks from a Russell Group uni, ended up working for a year before reapplying to Newman University. I have been there 4 years and am very happy as I am about to finish my masters after finishing my degree last year.

There is snobbery around Newman that because it is unknown it is 'less worthy'. But, if you believe in your uni, which it feels like you do :smile:, then you can strive every day to prove that that place is worthy. Then, when you apply for jobs, or future study, you show with all the things you do at University of Westminster why you are good for that role or position.

Wish you all the best in your studies :smile:

Wes- Newman University Ambassador :biggrin:

This was very helpful, thank you! Glad it worked out for you, and good luck with your masters :smile:
Original post by kateb3824
This was very helpful, thank you! Glad it worked out for you, and good luck with your masters :smile:

@kateb3824 Thank you :smile: Glad it helped you. Wish you all the best with your decisions and course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending