aries424
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I mean, I like science but I'm not overly passionate about it. I want to spend the rest of my life helping others, that's what I want to do but is that passion enough to justify studying Medicine?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by aries424)
I mean, I like science but I'm not overly passionate about it. I want to spend the rest of my life helping others, that's what I want to do but is that passion enough to justify studying Medicine?
Well my personal opinion is if you're thinking of Medicine or something else, do something else - because yes, Medicine is not just a degree, not just a career but a vocation. There will be times when you're wondering "what have I let myself in for" - if you're not 100% motivated you'll find it hard to succeed.

The problem is that just getting to the starting line will require lots of work - UCAT (+/- BMAT), work experience, GCSEs, A-Levels etc. Not to mention med schools (not the easiest) and of course post-grad training (with tough working hours) and hard exams.

It's best to start with research into the career and if possible - work experience.
aries424
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Well my personal opinion is if you're thinking of Medicine or something else, do something else - because yes, Medicine is not just a degree, not just a career but a vocation. There will be times when you're wondering "what have I let myself in for" - if you're not 100% motivated you'll find it hard to succeed.

The problem is that just getting to the starting line will require lots of work - UCAT (+/- BMAT), work experience, GCSEs, A-Levels etc. Not to mention med schools (not the easiest) and of course post-grad training (with tough working hours) and hard exams.

It's best to start with research into the career and if possible - work experience.
Thank you - I appreciate your insight.

I'm currently studying for the UCAT and as of now I do have the grades for Medicine as well as having 2 days work experience in a hospital setting. I understand how taxing Medicine is and you really need to love what you're doing. I was just wondering if I need to absolutely LOVE science to pursue a career in Medicine?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you - I appreciate your insight.

I'm currently studying for the UCAT and as of now I do have the grades for Medicine as well as having 2 days work experience in a hospital setting. I understand how taxing Medicine is and you really need to love what you're doing. I was just wondering if I need to absolutely LOVE science to pursue a career in Medicine?
Not really. Yes medicine is a science subject but it's also applied science, if you know what I mean. The ability to analyse, communication and team working is also incredibly important.

Clinical medicine and learning the theory can be very different, however you do need to learn science throughout your career.

Your medical course will be quite heavy on theory in the first couple of years, and it'll become more clinical in the last couple. However after graduation for post-grad exams you'll need to go back to learn the sciences.
xsowmix
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
They are other ways of helping people. Yes, medicine gives you a very direct experience of being able to alleviate people's pain and suffering but there are many career prospects that involves helping people that doesn't necessarily involve science.
1. Law
2.Human Resources / Business Management
The list goes on.
Last edited by xsowmix; 3 months ago
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
"Science" is a very broad church. You have to have interest in the basis of medicine (medical science) and what it looks like in practice (clinical medicine). You have to be aware of the principles of the scientific method and evidence based medicine, and know how to apply these concepts to your daily work.

You don't need to be interested in being a scientist as a career or in areas of science which aren't related to the job.

There are lots of careers which involve helping people so by itself I don't think that's a great justification for wanting to do medicine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (616)
33.72%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (768)
42.04%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (362)
19.81%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (81)
4.43%

Watched Threads