flippersnapper
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I've just gotten my GCSE results back and they are pretty good, I got an A in maths. However, the school i'm currently in won't let me do A-level maths because I sat a lower level exam (M4/M7) while to do A-level maths in my current school you would of needed to sit a (M4/M8) test. The teachers say it would be a hard transition to gcse maths to A-level maths, but I am willing to put in the work. If I was to stay in my current school the A levels I would be picking would be Software System Development, History, Sociology and Business Studies, are these good A-levels to pick? I've read that Sociology and Business Studies are seen to be "soft" subjects seen by universities so that has me quite worried. If I were to change Sixth form I would be able to do Maths; and as well Economics instead of Business Studies, as some people has said Economics is more respected in universities than Business Studies, with that follows History and Software System Development. I'm unsure what to do because my teachers are urging me not to leave. Please help!
Last edited by flippersnapper; 1 month ago
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by flippersnapper)
I've just gotten my GCSE results back and they are pretty good, I got an A in maths. However, the school i'm currently in won't let me do A-level maths because I sat a lower level exam (M4/M7) while to do A-level maths in my current school you would of needed to sit a (M4/M8) test. The teachers say it would be a hard transition to gcse maths to A-level maths, but I am willing to put in the work. If I was to stay in my current school the A levels I would be picking would be Software System Development, History, Sociology and Business Studies, are these good A-levels to pick? I've read that Sociology and Business Studies are seen to be "soft" subjects seen by universities so that has me quite worried. If I were to change Sixth form I would be able to do Maths; and as well Economics instead of Business Studies, as some people has said Economics is more respected in universities than Business Studies, with that follows History and Software System Development. I'm unsure what to do because my teachers are urging me not to leave. Please help!
Hi

Sorry you didn't get an answer to this sooner.

Your subject combination all really depends on what you want to do. Do you have any idea of what you would like to do at university?

'If I was to stay in my current school the A levels I would be picking would be Software System Development, History, Sociology and Business Studies, are these good A-levels to pick?'
These options are quite random and so will not open as many doors as you would like them to.

I've read that Sociology and Business Studies are seen to be "soft" subjects seen by universities so that has me quite worried.
There is no such thing as a 'soft subject' anymore. All A-Levels require hard work and universities recognise this so do not disregard A-Levels based on this!

If I were to change Sixth form I would be able to do Maths; and as well Economics instead of Business Studies, as some people has said Economics is more respected in universities than Business Studies, with that follows History and Software System Development. I'm unsure what to do because my teachers are urging me not to leave. Please help!
Just to clarify, you will be taking Maths, Economics, History and software system development at this new 6th Form?
flippersnapper
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Hi

Sorry you didn't get an answer to this sooner.

Your subject combination all really depends on what you want to do. Do you have any idea of what you would like to do at university?

'If I was to stay in my current school the A levels I would be picking would be Software System Development, History, Sociology and Business Studies, are these good A-levels to pick?'
These options are quite random and so will not open as many doors as you would like them to.

I've read that Sociology and Business Studies are seen to be "soft" subjects seen by universities so that has me quite worried.
There is no such thing as a 'soft subject' anymore. All A-Levels require hard work and universities recognise this so do not disregard A-Levels based on this!

If I were to change Sixth form I would be able to do Maths; and as well Economics instead of Business Studies, as some people has said Economics is more respected in universities than Business Studies, with that follows History and Software System Development. I'm unsure what to do because my teachers are urging me not to leave. Please help!
Just to clarify, you will be taking Maths, Economics, History and software system development at this new 6th Form?
I want to do computer science, and yes if I am going to this new sixth form I will be taking Maths, Economics, History and software system development.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I want to do computer science, and yes if I am going to this new sixth form I will be taking Maths, Economics, History and software system development.
If you want to do computer science, you will need A-Level Maths so going to this new 6th Form is the best option unless you can convince your school to let you take A-Level Maths.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You need to do A level Maths ...
Zoqua
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey, for context I'm going into Y13 and I take Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics at A level, with an ambition to study Economics at university.

I agree with 5hyl33n, Maths is essential for Computer Science at almost all universities, especially if you want to go to one that is prestigious. I would strongly advise choosing Economics over Business if you are given the option, and are intending to go to university. Economics is a lot more wide ranging, but also a lot more quantitative (or at least my examboard is) and will be more highly regarded for a Computer Science course (obviously I'm somewhat biased), so I would very much advise taking Economics over Business. I've never heard of Software System Development as an A level, so I can't comment on that. Sociology isn't as 'soft' as most people think it will be, however I would argue that Sociology is not very useful when applying to Computer Science. History is fine, although still not directly relevant.

Your best bet out of your options I feel would be to take Maths, Economics, Software System Development and History. I would also do some extra Maths and Computing courses during your time at sixth form, such as MOOCs, to strengthen knowledge and really make the quantitative side of your application shine. Good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.17%
I'm not sure (27)
4.5%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (190)
31.67%
I have already dropped out (12)
2%
I'm not a current university student (286)
47.67%

Watched Threads