The Student Room Group

Are my GCSE grade's good enough?

hi, my results are 9988877765 . I want to peruse a career in medicine and go a fairly good uni, should I redo the ones I got a 5 and a 6 in or should I focus on a-levels???
What are the subjects that you got 6 and 5? I know BSMS(which I think can be regarded as a good medical school) only requires good GCSEs in maths and English.
Original post by jp2305
You know your grades are good enough....stop trying to be an attention seeker

You know
Original post by queenbeexox
You know

Literally they've done so well getting high grades yet all they seem to want to focus on the are 6&5 which are still really good grades why do they seem so ungrateful atleast they passed lmao
Original post by mitsouko
hi, my results are 9988877765 . I want to peruse a career in medicine and go a fairly good uni, should I redo the ones I got a 5 and a 6 in or should I focus on a-levels???

What subjects did you get the 5 and 6 in? You would have to avoid GCSE-heavy medical schools like Oxford, Leeds, Cardiff.
Also there's no such thing as 'good' or 'bad' medical schools - each one is accredited by the GMC so there is no advantage going to a higher ranking uni. When selecting for foundation posts and specialty training posts, the people selecting won't even see which medical school you graduated from.
You need to choose a medical school based on what features you want in a medicine course, and where you stand the highest chances of interview. The UCAT/BMAT plays a huge role in selection for interview so you will need to come back and post in the 'which medical school should I apply to' thread once you have your UCAT score and A level predictions.

Original post by jp2305
Literally they've done so well getting high grades yet all they seem to want to focus on the are 6&5 which are still really good grades why do they seem so ungrateful atleast they passed lmao

Well most medical schools want at least a 6 in maths, English lang, and the sciences so the fact that they have a 5 could reduce their options for medical schools if the 5 is in one of those subjects. GCSEs can be very important in medicine selection - an example is the fact that the average offer holder for medicine at Oxford has 10 A*s at GCSE.
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Original post by jp2305

Omd chill people got different priorities. What’s it to you? Stop complaining and focus on urself if u did that then maybe u would have got higher.
Original post by jp2305
Well that's her problem lol

Yes, but you call them ungrateful and said they should be happy they passed but just passing isn't enough at most medical schools so they have every right to be upset.

if you got the 5 in biology, chemistry or maths then i would recommend re-taking that one, if not then your grades are amazing dont worry!! they normally only look at the relavant grades so if you got the 5 in like german, spanish, histroy or art (ETC), then it wont matter.

Ignore the dunces up there. Your GCSEs are probably good enough but you do need to be careful applying to medicine. There are often English and maths requirements for GCSE, and certain unis like the aforementioned Oxford and Cardiff have insanely high requirements and you must carefully research each uni before you apply. Good luck.
Original post by glowing_starfish
Omd chill people got different priorities. What’s it to you? Stop complaining and focus on urself if u did that then maybe u would have got higher.

-.-
(edited 3 years ago)
Noone said he didn't do well omds -.-
Reply 11
Original post by Emily5243
What subjects did you get the 5 and 6 in? You would have to avoid GCSE-heavy medical schools like Oxford, Leeds, Cardiff.
Also there's no such thing as 'good' or 'bad' medical schools - each one is accredited by the GMC so there is no advantage going to a higher ranking uni. When selecting for foundation posts and specialty training posts, the people selecting won't even see which medical school you graduated from.
You need to choose a medical school based on what features you want in a medicine course, and where you stand the highest chances of interview. The UCAT/BMAT plays a huge role in selection for interview so you will need to come back and post in the 'which medical school should I apply to' thread once you have your UCAT score and A level predictions.

Well most medical schools want at least a 6 in maths, English lang, and the sciences so the fact that they have a 5 could reduce their options for medical schools if the 5 is in one of those subjects. GCSEs can be very important in medicine selection - an example is the fact that the average offer holder for medicine at Oxford has 10 A*s at GCSE.
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Okay, thank you so much ! , I wasn't aware that there is no 'good'/'bad' medical schools

Quick Reply

Latest