megan bain
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some help with a contract problem question. Not sure why I can't get it but its got me going loopy!

The question in short:

Someone (J) is selling their car for £1000 (free AD), N came back with a counter of £900, J came back with another counter of "£950 and we have a deal". N said she'd be back at 6 pm with the cash.
someone else sees the add (i assume the same day although not clear) and offers the original asking price, in which J also takes. As soon as he makes this offer with the other person he immediately calls and emails N to express that the contract was off. but N wouldn't see his email/calls till 10 pm that night.

J sells the car to the other person and N arrives just before too see the exchange.

N is furious. Advise N on her legal position?

My questions:

Can a contract be ended/terminated by email/phone even if the recipient hasn't listened/seen it yet? and if you cant what kind of help can the court give the person who was outed from the contract.

is taking a better offer or the original price wrong?

Any similar cases? is the postal rule relevant here, as per se as soon as you post a letter the contract is either on or off? is it the same?

is it N mistake for not checking?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (200)
43.67%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (51)
11.14%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.64%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (98)
21.4%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.26%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise