GillisRobbieWGS
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I started a petition so that this year's Year 13s and Year 11s would be prioritised in the return to school.
We have lost a whole term of teaching and to make social distancing easier, give us more time with our teachers and to gain back the time we lost, I believe that year 7, 8, 9, 10 and 12 do not need to be in school. They can and should continue with home learning so that those of us with exams coming up can have the time and input with our teachers without having to book lunchtime appointments.

The government failed students at results day last week, but then turned it around. If we raise our voices against them now, we can be the justice in our education system that we want to see.
Us Year 13 and 11 will not have it as easy as this year's cohort where we just get our predicted grades without going through the stress of exam season, the sleepless nights, the anxiety, the tears, the discipline in study leave.

Please sign the petition so the government prioritises Year 11 and 13.

EDIT: When I say Year 13 and 11 I mean those GOING INTO those year groups (those taking exams in 2021)

Thank you

https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...jwX5Ptl3sbABr3
Last edited by GillisRobbieWGS; 2 months ago
Student 999
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by GillisRobbieWGS)
I started a petition so that this year's Year 13s and Year 11s would be prioritised in the return to school.
We have lost a whole term of teaching and to make social distancing easier, give us more time with our teachers and to gain back the time we lost, I believe that year 7, 8, 9, 10 and 12 do not need to be in school. They can and should continue with home learning so that those of us with exams coming up can have the time and input with our teachers without having to book lunchtime appointments.

The government failed students at results day last week, but then turned it around. If we raise our voices against them now, we can be the justice in our education system that we want to see.
Us Year 13 and 11 will not have it as easy as this year's cohort where we just get our predicted grades without going through the stress of exam season, the sleepless nights, the anxiety, the tears, the discipline in study leave.

I don’t understand how this is disadvantageous for you at all?
GillisRobbieWGS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student 999)
I don’t understand how this is disadvantageous for you at all?
This whole pandemic has been a disadvantage for my year group and the year 11s. We have missed A WHOLE TERM of teaching. That term of teaching has meant that we are more likely to have our exams pushed back and if they aren't, we will have to work harder than any year group has ever worked for their exams.
We have not had the interaction with our teachers, we have not had mock tests to see how our progress has come. We NEED to have that engagement now to make up for lost time, lest we face bad exam results that pushes a large quantity of the year back a step and then places for universities become as competitive as we thought they would if the government hadn't changed the A Level results from standardised to predicted grades.

The government have not handled this well at all. The least they can do is compensate those who are now the worst off. A Level students are not the worst off because they have their results and their uni places now because the cap on courses has been lifted so studetns can go to their first choice universities. GCSE students have their dramatically overinflated results now and can go to college, sixth form or their apprenticeships.

Us Year 13 and 11s are not going to have it easy, but by prioritising our return, it will make social distancing easier and we can access our teachers easier without having to wait for them to finish a Year 8 lesson if we want to talk to them.
Student 999
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
That term of teaching has meant that we are more likely to have our exams pushed back and if they aren't, we will have to work harder than any year group has ever worked for their exams.
You do realise that grades are given to students scoring in certain percentiles thus meaning that you are no way at any disadvantage as you’re being ranked by marks against your own cohort.It’s your choice to work hard but those who are currently working hard are mostly likely quite happy with this situation knowing that grade boundaries will be lower since there’s many students in your cohort probably having done no revision in the past few months.
GillisRobbieWGS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Student 999)
You do realise that grades are given to students scoring in certain percentiles thus meaning that you are no way at any disadvantage as you’re being ranked by marks against your own cohort.It’s your choice to work hard but those who are currently working hard are mostly likely quite happy with this situation knowing that grade boundaries will be lower since there’s many students in your cohort probably having done no revision in the past few months.
I dont disagree. I have worked hard, but if I had the teachers input it would be even better. not just for me, but for the people who are hard working but maybe struggled a lot in lockdown for various reasons like autism (like I have) or ADHD or anxiety. Year 8s do not need to be in school. nor do year 7s, 9s 10s or 12s. they can crack on by themselves at home. but year 13 and 11 NEED the teachers there, just as a final push before exams.

you don't have to sign the petition if you dont want to. I just think that it would be better for the people with exams to have priority over those who don't
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Sorry but no Y10 and Y12 need to be the first one's to return to school because you know we actually have to SIT exams in 2021

Edit: do you mean the current Y13's and Y11s need to return to school or the new Y11 and Y13?
Edit 2: nevermind I agree with some of this post
Last edited by 1st superstar; 2 months ago
GillisRobbieWGS
Rep:
?
(Original post by 1st superstar)
Sorry but no Y10 and Y12 need to be the first one's to return to school because you know we actually have to SIT exams in 2021

Edit: do you mean the current Y13's and Y11s need to return to school or the new Y11 and Y13?
Edit 2: nevermind I agree with some of this post
No I mean that people going into Year 13 and 11 (i.e those sitting exams in 2021) should be the first ones to return (Those who have just finished Year 10 and 12)
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
No I mean that people going into Year 13 and 11 (i.e those sitting exams in 2021) should be the first ones to return (Those who have just finished Year 10 and 12)
Oh yeah then I agree imo the current Y12, Y11 Y10, Y6 and Y5 should be the first one's to return to school.
epicnm
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

I don’t disagree with this, but how is this different to what is happening in September? Year 10 and 12 are going back full time to school (according to the government), with no/little social distancing within year groups and continuing with normal lessons. Also how would teachers be able to spend more time with year 10 and 12 while continuing online lessons for other years?
GillisRobbieWGS
Rep:
?
(Original post by epicnm)
I don’t disagree with this, but how is this different to what is happening in September? Year 10 and 12 are going back full time to school (according to the government), with no/little social distancing within year groups and continuing with normal lessons. Also how would teachers be able to spend more time with year 10 and 12 while continuing online lessons for other years?
Well, what happened with my school is "online lessons" were worksheets with instructions that we were expected to crack on with which happened across all year groups. I just want the new year 13 and 11s to have a headstart (I'm going into year 13) and regain the time they lost and if schools need to be partially closed, Year 13 and 11 will not be the ones sent home.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.85%
I'm not sure (32)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.81%

Watched Threads