Seretonin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
I would only need it to make notes in lectures and assignment writing.
I want it to last beyond the 3 years.
My budget would be ideally less than 500 but I want it to look nice as well.

Thank you.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Look out for other deals on used Dell Latitude E7470's. With you paying £230 or less for one with a 1920 screen and 8 GB RAM
Aim for a miminum of 1920 screen resolution in whatever laptop you buy.

Also get in touch with some IT departments in large organisations and enquire if you can have one of their old laptops for free.

You do not need anything fancy at all - in terms of the internal bits - when it comes to a laptop for making notes, typing assignments and web browsing.
All you need is a decent keyboard, which the E7470's have, a decent screen which the E7470's have (avoid any with 1366 screen resolution), and a well engineered chassis and lid - which is where the E7470's are superb with their coated magnesium alloy construction.
Last edited by Dunnig Kruger; 10 months ago
Seretonin
Rep:
?
What about this one?
https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/comput...gaAn6jEALw_wcB
Seretonin
Rep:
?
Thank you.
Do you recommend any 2 in 1 laptop tablets?
Dunnig Kruger
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
In the context of you buying a laptop for the start of term in Spetember: DO NOT BUY FROM CURRYS.

The 2 Currys laptops mentioned in this thread are prime examples of why you shouldn't buy from Currys. Compared to a Dell Latitude E7470, you are paying more money to get shoddy plasticky, toylike laptops, with somewhat cheap nasty feeling keyboards. Compared to paying less money to get a proper, rugged, premium business machine with a decent feeling keyboard.
Anonymous060875
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
As an extension to this thread is it worth paying the extra for a Mac Book or Mac Book Pro? I have the budget for it but is it worth the extra money or are you just paying for the name? Will be needed for lots of note taking and essays, watching Netflix etc and there will probably be a long walk to some classes so want something quite light. Thanks
Munir Adekunle
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
l would need it to make notes and assignment and also for reading
Seretonin
Rep:
?
Thank you someone above said not to buy from curry's are they right?
Also theirs only a free 7 day guarantee the 1 year and 2 year guarantee are pretty expensive.
IJaguar
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)

Also get in touch with some IT departments in large organisations and enquire if you can have one of their old laptops for free.
How would you go about emailing an it department for a free laptop, if you don't mind me asking?
Last edited by IJaguar; 11 months ago
Dunnig Kruger
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by IJaguar)
How would you go about emailing an it department for a free laptop, if you don't mind me asking?
Plenty of ways. Through relatives, friends giving you names and addresses.

It doesn't have to be email. Snail mail is fine too. Especially if it's on the stationary of your local vicarage or scout group or charity shop, etc. And the laptop will be used for charitable purposes for at least some of the time.

You could also look out for large buildings or employment sites near where you live when you are out and about.

And then address your letter to the Head of IT.

--------------------------------------------------------------

And I am 100% right when I say: DON'T BUY FROM CURRYS.
This applies whichever way you look at it.

If for example you are neurotic when it comes to the reliability of laptops, inparticular premium business laptops from Dell, HP or Lenovo, and you really must have something with a warranty, then you can buy something new or used with 13 months or more of the warranty remaining.
Which is 1 month longer than what you'd get off Currys.

I don't know of any true IT professionals that would buy laptops for themselves or for their student children from Currys.
They would all buy either direct from the manufacturer, or from ebay, or they would acquire some old laptop that was surplus to requirements from their place of work.

Buying from Currys equals an admission that you don't know what you are doing when it comes to IT purchasing and that you have been poorly advised. Or that you have been given good advice and have chosen to ignore this good advice.
Last edited by Dunnig Kruger; 10 months ago
Randomuser212v2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/su...%3aoverviewtab

This one is really google and it’s a 2 in 1 !!!!
MS0106
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Tbh..i bought my MacBook from Currys, and my brother bought his HP Pavillion. Both are great laptops.
Randomuser212v2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Clearly says he’s price limit is £500 , also I’ve used this device and it’s not cramped at all
Seretonin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
How does it compare to this one?
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=0&cspheader=1
Seretonin
Rep:
?
Would it be too big for uni?
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Seretonin)
Would it be too big for uni?
15" is hardly going to be too big, the old timers on the forum like me all carried 15"ers just fine for decades because slimline laptops were still too expensive at the time, but smaller and lighter is obviously going to be better. 14" laptops have established themselves as the "ideal" for being nice and light without compromising screen size too much.
Seretonin
Rep:
?
It's on sale for £394 so would it be worth it?
Seretonin
Rep:
?
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Seretonin)
Depends on how budget conscious you are. £400 is a decent price for what it is, but for a long term purchase I would personally stretch given how close Bluewolf's option was to your original budget.
Seretonin
Rep:
?
Why wouldn't it be a good long term purchase? It seems similar in specs to the one bluewolf mentioned?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
30.28%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.17%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
54.13%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.42%

Watched Threads