sebastianl0030
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thinking of joining Atlantic College in 2021 is it any good. Also, do you think it would make it easier for me to apply to a Canadian university?
Is the IB program harder than A-levels?
Any help is appreciated.
zoe-steph
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can't help with Atlantic College, but I can definitely say that IB is harder than A Levels. Copied from another comment I made:

The IB is A LOT of work - it's a big jump from GCSEs. GCSEs prepare you for A-levels, which are standard exams with some courses having coursework, and if you choose to do so, an EPQ. The IB is six subjects, where your final marks are 75% exam, 25% coursework, with a mandatory 4000 word essay, 150 hours of CAS (non-academic activities), and TOK, which is an extra subject that you have to pass to get your diploma. You need to work somewhat consistently and keep on track with the multiple things you need to do (Mandatory reflections, coursework, etc) as well as normal revision and classwork. Individual subjects tend to focus on the bigger picture while A-Levels goes much more in-depth: Obviously this can depend but usually, it means you have to have a much broader spectrum of what you have to study for each subject. It is, so much more so than A-Levels, a pre-university preparation course. But obviously that means higher stress levels.

I think it probably would help with Canadian universities because they offer extra credits for applicants who do IB (You may even be able to skip the first year of uni if you do very well) but in the UK it's as nowhere near as highly valued. No need to go to Atlantic College specifically, though, unless you really like the idea of going there and think it would be worth it.
sebastianl0030
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by zoe-steph)
Can't help with Atlantic College, but I can definitely say that IB is harder than A Levels. Copied from another comment I made:

The IB is A LOT of work - it's a big jump from GCSEs. GCSEs prepare you for A-levels, which are standard exams with some courses having coursework, and if you choose to do so, an EPQ. The IB is six subjects, where your final marks are 75% exam, 25% coursework, with a mandatory 4000 word essay, 150 hours of CAS (non-academic activities), and TOK, which is an extra subject that you have to pass to get your diploma. You need to work somewhat consistently and keep on track with the multiple things you need to do (Mandatory reflections, coursework, etc) as well as normal revision and classwork. Individual subjects tend to focus on the bigger picture while A-Levels goes much more in-depth: Obviously this can depend but usually, it means you have to have a much broader spectrum of what you have to study for each subject. It is, so much more so than A-Levels, a pre-university preparation course. But obviously that means higher stress levels.

I think it probably would help with Canadian universities because they offer extra credits for applicants who do IB (You may even be able to skip the first year of uni if you do very well) but in the UK it's as nowhere near as highly valued. No need to go to Atlantic College specifically, though, unless you really like the idea of going there and think it would be worth it.
Thanks that's really helpful.
ishikaam4
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am a current student at Atlantic College and I would say it is definitely worth it! The IB isn't easy but AC has amazing teachers and it is totally manageable. Also our university counselors are great and there are many scholarships available for studying in Canada and the US. A lot of students seem to go to Canada after they graduate from AC.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you confident you could find support for your mental health if you needed it in COVID-19?

Yes (53)
21.37%
No (195)
78.63%

Watched Threads